• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5r rifleing upcharge

kwak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
MI
It appears that both Remington and Savage charge an additional $350 for the 5r rifleing above what the rifle would cost without that option.

Does it make sense to purchase the standard gun and spend your money for a good aftermarket barrel?

Is there a market for the factory standard barrel?

Re: 5r rifleing upcharge

Which models are you comparing specifically? That sounds high to me.

The 5R production barrels are probably going to shoot the same as their standard barrels. If it is indeed 350 bucks then I would put that towards ammo or a press

Are you sure you are not comparing apples to oranges?
Which models are you referring to?

In Remington's case, are you accounting for stainless and the H-S Precision stock?

I just purchased a new 10fcp 5r. Are you saying that it should only have been about 400? I paid 744 delivered. Also came stock with heavy fluted and threaded barrel as well as accustock and trigger and a detachable mag.

Here's what little I know:

Savage tells me that there is a $350 charge for the 5r rifleing on most any gun you would want to have this option.

Remington sells a 700 Milspec 5r gun for about $1000.

They also sell a 700 SPS for $550 and a stainless for $80 more. Milspec vs stainless is about $370.

So it costs about $350 for the 5r rifleing.

Is it worth it for the 5r?

Will the 5r turn sub MOA groups into 1/2 MOA groups?

Or do you spend the extra money for a good aftermarket barrel?

You are also getting the hs-precision stock, and jeweled bolt. The action on my 5r feels a lot better than the sps I had.

The 5R I believe comes out of the custom shop. The 5R rifling is not all you are paying for. The mil-spec comes with an HS stock that has aluminum bedding that is 3-400 stock if purchased brand new. I believe the actions are speced at a tighter tolerance as well. Just what I have heard.

Think of it this way, You can have the best parts assembled and the gun doesnt shoot worth a crap. Sometimes it is all in how it is built.

I own both the SPS and the 5R. The 5R walks circles around my SPS. Both are great guns but I am getting better than 1/4MOA out of mine with hand loads.

Just my .02

Let me get this straight.

You are comparing the very base model Rem (SPS) with a cheap finish that tends to rust, that is put in a 60 dollar hogue stock to the 5R mil-spec that has a bead blasted stainless steel action and barrel with an HS precision stock.

Yes, they make an SPS in stainless, does it come with a varmint weight barrel? (no), it would not suprise me if the fit and finish was not up to the same standard either. It WOULD make a good basis for a build.

You are comparing a limited run rifle to a mass produced one.

How much is a varmint stainless in .308? MSRP is 981 and they no longer come in an HS Precision stock. They come in the same crappy stock that the SPS varmint comes in. The varmint costs about 200 more than the SPS.

Yup you need to compare models that are similar and you will see there is not that much of a markup.

My advice is to buy the gun that has the barrel and stock you want. If it is 5R great if not no big deal. You will probably never be able to tell the difference

Top Cat said:
In terms of the many theoretical advantages it has, 5R rifling represents an enormous improvement over standard rifling..

In actual use...not so much.

5R rifling is easier on bullets than square..... so if you`re loading for max. performence..i.e. LR shooting.... I would go with the 5R,,,,,IN AN AFTERMARKET BARREL.......
Do some reseach.... topics...Obermeyer/Whidden
bill larson

Actually it's a $500 upcharge

I see Remi SPS going for $600 while Remi 5R's go for $1100. The HS stock on the 5R is worth $300 more than the Hogue stock on the SPS. 5R trigger is also pretty decent and set at 2.5 lbs. The SPS trigger is about 7 lbs. The 5R is SS while the SPS is sand blasted.

I think the upcharge is justified.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually it's a $500 upcharge

I see Remi SPS going for $600 while Remi 5R's go for $1100. The HS stock on the 5R is worth $300 more than the Hogue stock on the SPS. 5R trigger is also pretty decent and set at 2.5 lbs. The SPS trigger is about 7 lbs. The 5R is SS while the SPS is sand blasted.

I think the upcharge is justified. </div></div>

If you want a apples to apples comparison you should look at something like a 700P and a 5R. That way both base models have the nice stock.