• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 5r torque specs

mattkarstetter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2009
eastern wa
just got my 5r and the action screws were loose. i used my fat wrench and torqued the bolts to 40 inch pounds. i didnt go up to the 65 in/lbs it stated for pillar bedded stocks. the stock in an hs precision i believe.

also i hurd that you can play with the torque on the hs stocks, and this may improve accuracy.

any experience.

semper fi and happy birthday marines.
matt

Re: 5r torque specs

I haven't heard about playing with the torque specs. Just set that baby at the specified torque value with a bit of blue locktite and go shoot. Your stock has an aluminum bedding block, if 65 in/lb is what it calls for (sorry memory is not working and I don't have the paperwork handy) go for it.

semper fi
ryan

Factory bottom metal is meant to be torqued between 45 and 50 inch pounds per Remington specs. 65 inch pounds is a military spec with Badger M5 bottom metal.

Cheep cast aluminum bottom metal such as that on a Remington can and has split using 65 inch pounds. Can you get away with it? Yes, and most use 65 inch pounds but don't be surprised if you split the bottom metal.

As for messing with the torque setting. Yes this can change accuracy. Some rifles like it tight some don't. Some like the front screw tighter then the rear.

With a properly bedded rifle equal torque on both screws will be the norm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Factory bottom metal is meant to be torqued between 45 and 50 inch pounds per Remington specs. 65 inch pounds is a military spec with Badger M5 bottom metal.

Cheep cast aluminum bottom metal such as that on a Remington can and has split using 65 inch pounds. Can you get away with it? Yes, and most use 65 inch pounds but don't be surprised if you split the bottom metal.

As for messing with the torque setting. Yes this can change accuracy. Some rifles like it tight some don't. Some like the front screw tighter then the rear.

With a properly bedded rifle equal torque on both screws will be the norm.
</div></div>

That makes sense. I have one of the choate stocks on another rifle I have, and I know it called for 50 in/lb. Remington calls for 65 and i couldn't figure what made the difference considering your working with the same bolts. I just figured, do what the manufacture recommends. No problems here though.

semper fi
ryan