• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

action screw torque

Steelshooter842

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
I'm bedding a pure precision stock to 6.5 creedmoor carbon six barrel with a savage action. I've been watching rimfire videos where they test different torque values. I've never done that before. Anyone have any comments about that. I find load developement tiresome. Also I'm thinking my start torque to be 35 inch lbs. This is a carbon fiber stock. Thanks for your comments.

A: call pure precision and they will tell you what torque to use.
B: a well fitted or bedded stock is unlikely to see much change from different torque values as the stress imparted to the action is limited or minimized by the action to stock interface…i.e. the action can’t be deformed by uneven stresses.
C: it’s not impossible that you will get different group shapes or locations from increasing or decreasing action screw torque and there are even rare cases wherein someone claims that a terrible shooting system got measurably better by changing (usually increasing) the action screw torque. I would venture that those stories do not include modern manufacturing processes.
D: if you don’t like load development, it’s unlikely you will have the patience and interest to test different torque values in a meaningful way and unlikely that you are using a super lightweight all carbon setup as a “group shooting” rifle. Which means it’s a waste of effort unless you are running out of ideas to make your rifle shoot acceptably.
E: using the recommended torque value (see A, above) see how the rifle shoots. If it meets your accuracy needs, move on. If it doesn’t, there are many things to check before an exploration of action screw torques will prove fruitful.