• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 5r trigger reset problem

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OVER....
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
BF East Texas
Today at a 600yd f/tr my trigger was not resetting occationaly.
I would have to cycle the bolt several times to get the hammer to stay in cocked position. A bit distracting during a match.
The only thing that I have done is grinding on a new recoil pad which might have gotten crap in the trigger.
I will clean and see if that helps but any other thoughts on what could cause this?
Halfway thru the last match I started pushing the rounds into the mag instead of just dropping them into the action and had no more reset problems.
Good excuse for a real trigger I reckon...

Re: 5r trigger reset problem

Dang,I was gonna get some on the way home and forgot.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flush it out with Zippo lighter fluid. </div></div>

If you trigger is a little dirty and is set up with basically no over-travel it could not be re-setting.

This is one of the things that I always check when adjusting a trigger. Especially on a rifle being used in field conditions, you need a little over-travel in case a little grit gets in there.

what eddief said, I replaced the new xmark trigger with an old style walker type trigger on a 5R & it wouldnt reset every time, checked setting & overtravel adjustment cured it, I just bought a new 5r myself & repalced trigger with a Jewell, big mistake, I have 5 other rifles that need triggers now... I see there on sale at midway this month..........

And if I may ask, what did you use for a new recoil pad? I noticed the 5r HS stocks have a thin pad in comparison to some others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willoughby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what eddief said, I replaced the new xmark trigger with an old style walker type trigger on a 5R & it wouldnt reset every time, checked setting & overtravel adjustment cured it, I just bought a new 5r myself & repalced trigger with a Jewell, big mistake, I have 5 other rifles that need triggers now... I see there on sale at midway this month.......... </div></div>
I think that was it. Removed stock to clean and adjust it and the overtravel screw was really loose. allmost got the sear engagement screw moving and the trigger pull screw rounded off.
It seems to be working, but a Jewell is inbound...
Sale at Midway but out of stock till 8/8/11.
ordered one from Sinclair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if I may ask, what did you use for a new recoil pad? I noticed the 5r HS stocks have a thin pad in comparison to some others. </div></div>
I used a pachymire (sp?) and installed an adjustable plate. After a 60 rnd match my shoulder was sore for days..
Shot a match sunday and no more pain!

IMG_0029.jpg

My recommendation going to be to toss that trigger in the trash, seems you too have reached that conclusion.

My 5r is due back any day from the smith, timney trigger installed. Remington's new triggers are garbage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Willoughby said:
a Jewell is inbound...
ordered one from Sinclair. </div></div>

call Larry from www.greatscottshooters.com he always has jewel triggers in stock. good prices and ships same day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc80</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Willoughby said:
a Jewell is inbound...
ordered one from Sinclair. </div></div>

call Larry from www.greatscottshooters.com he always has jewel triggers in stock. good prices and ships same day. </div></div>
Tried that. No answer on phone and email did not work.

Oohh man.. That remy trigger messing up was a good sign!
Jewell showed up a day early, installed in about 15min and pure joy! Now I see...

Carry on

WTF

Sorry your trigger went south on you, but I'm glad it was not from your recoil pad grinding dust/crud. That was a nice job. You will now never be able to go back to a factory trigger, though. I have 2 jewels and am thinking about a third as a spare, or to build another rifle around.

Paul

Hey Paul,
It was a pleasure shootin with you and thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Yep.. The pursuit of perfection can drive you nuts but when you get near it, it sure feels good and ruins ya at the same time.

Joe

I just picked up a 5r and I will be ordering a new trigger on Monday. The adjustment screw doesn't do anything and the trigger breaks right at 4 lbs.