• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5r

rundm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2005
TX
Well, I got my 5r today. I have read that I should expect to be able to get pretty good groups with her out to 2 or 3 hundred yards. I usually use 168gr amax's with varget. Can someone else reccomend a couple of good loads to try and use with it? I appreciate the help up front. Thanks, RG

Re: 5r

RG, get a reloading manual my man, if you don't already have one.

I recommend the Sierra 175 MK and Varget or IMR 4064. Load to 2.825" OAL if you're going to mag feed, or longer if you'll load singly. The Remingtons have long throats, like Jenna Jamison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Remingtons have long throats, like Jenna Jamison.</div></div>

ROTFLMAO ! It's true though......well about the Remingtons anyway
smile.gif

Mine does purdy good with varget pushing a 175 MK loaded mag length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Remingtons have long throats, like Jenna Jamison. </div></div>

the last ones I loaded up for my XCR LR Tact I loaded to barely fit the length of the AICS mags with plate and its jamming 175 SMK's into the lands shoots fantastic tho

<span style="font-weight: bold">>175 SMK</span>'s worked best seated out really far for me, ie basically in the lands. This I know from the many rounds fired.
The VLD and AMAX I'm still fidgeting with and haven't fired that many:
<span style="font-weight: bold">>175 VLD</span>'s have thus far worked best seated to 2.200" <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">to the ogive</span></span>. From what I've read, isn't that typically a far jump to the lands for VLD's? Regardless, I've achieved roughly 0.75 MOA w/ the VLD's and want them for 400+ yds, but want at least a consistent 0.5 MOA from them
<span style="font-weight: bold">>178 AMAX</span>'s have thus far worked best seated to 2.200" as well, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">also measured to the ogive</span></span> 0.75 to 1 MOA, would like better. If not, I'll live w/ SMK's and VLD's

I have no idea of COAL. I don't have a caliper handy and don't have any rounds in front of me, sorry.

For other users, what powder/ch. weight is working for yall?
SMK- doesn't seem to care. I've taken it to 44 gr Varget- no pressure signs
AMAX/VLD- Again, I'm still playing w/ these. I've shot up to 44.5 gr Varget, no pressure signs
I have some RE-15 I'll start testing as soon as I get the loads down w/ Varget

Dont overlook the 155 Scenars over 46.2gr RL15 at 2.825 OAL. That load gives me .25 to .33" at 100 yards and has no problem reaching 1K yards. I find shooting the 155's at 1K easier than the 175's

im running 42.0 gr varget in fed cases behind 168gr smk, and 168gr amax... my 5r loves them and the smk have cloned the 168 fgmm perefctly out to 600 yrds.. i know i can run them hotter, but my dope is locked in so i have not messed w it...

Not trying to jack the thread, but would appreciate some direction on where to buy a 5R. PM me. Thanks!

I'm running 175 gr SMKs over 43.0 grains of Varget. Federal cases with a CCI 200 primer. Seated at 2.825" overall length. Easily under MOA out to 300, which is as far out as I've shot it.

I started out as I always do, seating the bullets .10 off the lands. No way that those would fit in the mag box. They shot great though. Changed seating depth to 2.825" for hunting so I'd be able to fill the mag and to my surprise my groups shrunk significantly.

Seems that 43 grains have given me the best results with both 168 and 175 grains bullets. I know that people normally list their best loads between 42.0 and 42.5 or 44.0 and 44.5, but mine likes it right around 43.

Your best bet would be to to start off at around 42 grains and work your way up to 44 or so in .5 gain increments, watching for pressure signs and noting accuracy and consistency. Once you've discovered an accurate load, you can load around that charge weight and play with seating depth.

Good luck.

43.5gr IMR 4064 with 168 Nosler Custom Competition seems to work the best out of my shooting partners 5R. He has the same accuracy with 45.5 Varget also. Noslers shot better than SMK in all my 308's.
Each gun is different so you have to try different bullets and powders until you find one your likes. Here are my loads.
Lapua brass
CCI br-2 primers
43.5 IMR 4064/45.5 Varget (equal in my rifles)
168 Nosler Custom Comp. bullet
2.850 OAL
Hope this helps