• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 cm for a 1000

madarcher427

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2014
michigan
Is the 6.5 cm good for shooting out to a thousand ? How does the it compare to the 260 at a thousand . I just got a .308 now I want something for longer range. I know 338 is better ,to costly for me.

I'd pick 260. But those two and 6.5x47 are all a wash. Good calibers. high BC bullets at high speed

What kind of shooting at a 1k; just for fun, paper, steel, tactical matches, f class? Do you reload?

Also, the designation 6.5 cm do you mean creedmoor or competition match?

6.5x47, 260 and 6.5 creed can all run a 140gr bullet to 28-2850fps so there is no difference shooting to 1000. Whether you really hot rod it or not in one caliber generally only makes a difference of .2 mils vertically or horizontally at that distance. And for 1000yds I wouldn't say a 338 is better, more just a waste of money. If your looking for a real advantage over the 260 I'd try one of the 6mm flavors (creed, 47, xc, 243, 243ai). That will give you a good mil or so in drop at 1000yds over the 6.5s.

Yes the 6.5 Creedmoor will do very well to 1000 and beyond. I have been shooting it in competitions since 2008 and it never let me down.

Run a 140 AMAX with it's .585 BC at 2850fps through a ballistic program and it will give you an idea of it's performance.

I am getting a 6.5 Creedmoor build on a M2013 action, bartlein Rem Varmint 23" barrel, KRG W3 chassis. I do not hand-load so I will try the 140 Hornady Amax rounds out as I see they come highly recommended due to their high BC. Will be shooting to 850 at my local range and hopefully some matches in the coming years. Anyone have a guess to what muzzle velocity I'd be looking at with my rig? Thanks

My 22" barrel averaged 2650 fps with a 2013 lot of factory Hornady 140 Amax. Add maybe 25 fps for your 23". 2014 lots may yield different results as their were some changes from 2013 to 2014 lots.

I have a 6mm Creedmoor and shoot at 1000yds with guys using 6.5x47L, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284, 260 Rem, 7WSM, 284, etc. They all have had varying amounts of success based on who is having a good day. I've seen them all break 290 points at one time or another except for my 6mm CM (came sooooo close yesterday with a 289).

So in summary, 6.5CM will do you just fine as long as you have good components, ammo, and skill!

1,000 yards is very doable with a 6.5 creed or 260. I'm far from a great shot, and I was shooting 6 inch, 5 shot groups at 1,000 with my .260 last week, with Berger Hybrid Match 140 gr pills, Lapua Brass, and 42 gr of H4350.

We also shot our .260s and 6.5 creedmors at 1,400, 1,800, and 2,100 yards on Saturday for fun, with good results. The shots up to 1,400 yards seemed relatively easy, but shooting at 1 mile and beyond wasn't very practical, but doable. We were shooting 140 gr Berger Hybrid bullets, and we had almost no wind luckily. The guys shooting the 338s did much better at the 1,800+ yard ranges.

I think mostly paper & some steel.I don"t currently reload yet ,but I plan on it soon. I just want something to take to a long range course & learn how to shoot. What reloading manuals does everyone recommend ? My family & I reloaded 20 years ago .

I think mostly paper & some steel.I don"t currently reload yet ,but I plan on it soon. I just want something to take to a long range course & learn how to shoot. What reloading manuals does everyone recommend ? My family & I reloaded 20 years ago .

get a few, i think i have a lyman, a berger (since thats the bullet i shoot out of most my rifles) and a few books on reloading in general. you can also visit powder manufacturers websites for load data. Be sure to research all the details of reloading and how to read brass.

good to hear re hornady amax factory ammo, what's the skinny on the winchester match 6.5cm? i will be trying both, just curious, thx

6.5 creedmoor and .260 remington are about the same cartridge ballisticly. I am building a .260 because it is better established and there is more information, more reamers, more brass, etc out there for it. The advantage of the 6.5 creedmoor is a commitment to make "match grade" target ammo available off the shelf for those who don't reload. For those who reload, which include 99.9% of all 1000 yd shooters, this doesn't make a difference. --Jerry

1,000 yards is very doable with a 6.5 creed or 260. I'm far from a great shot, and I was shooting 6 inch, 5 shot groups at 1,000 with my .260 last week, with Berger Hybrid Match 140 gr pills, Lapua Brass, and 42 gr of H4350.

We also shot our .260s and 6.5 creedmors at 1,400, 1,800, and 2,100 yards on Saturday for fun, with good results. The shots up to 1,400 yards seemed relatively easy, but shooting at 1 mile and beyond wasn't very practical, but doable. We were shooting 140 gr Berger Hybrid bullets, and we had almost no wind luckily. The guys shooting the 338s did much better at the 1,800+ yard ranges.

Makes sense what you say. Up to 1400 should work well. These bullets with standard loads go subsonic about 1600 yards which will significantly affect accuracy and thus establish the "effective range". --Jerry

I have a 260, I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the 6.5CM but I like the multiple brass options of the 260.

FYI, there are a lot of companies making extremely high-quality creedmoor brass now. Peterson, Alpha, Eagle Eye, Lapua, and Norma have all launched 6.5. Not just Hornady any more. Not to mention Prime.

sounds like you have a good excuse to buy a new rifle.

i am very happy with my 260 remington. i wish i had heard of the caliber i a long time ago

FYI, there are a lot of companies making extremely high-quality creedmoor brass now. Peterson, Alpha, Eagle Eye, Lapua, and Norma have all launched 6.5. Not just Hornady any more. Not to mention Prime.

Lots of good options for 6.5cm brass now.
Im still staying with 260.
Have about 400 virgin 243 Winchester/Olin cases that I got for less than $20 per 50.

Not to hijack but would a 20 inch tube be able to get to 1,000?

Not to hijack but would a 20 inch tube be able to get to 1,000?

Yes it will. Quite handily. Personally, I'd go with a longer tube. Think of it as free horsepower. Go with the shorter tube only if you need it.
Added:
Also, if it's weight, you can also think of something between 20" and 28" to trim down weight and length. You might want to pack something around for a while to see what's going to work best for you.

Last edited:
I like at least 24" for a 6.5CM. My match rifle is 24" and with Winchester 140s 1,000 is easy. Start spec'ing out your new 6.5 and we'll give you some input.

Sand Warrior I doubt I take it that far right now but alas my new rifle has a 20 inch tube on it