• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 6.5 CM needing glass...

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

My name is Sergio and I am new here, and reside in south Tx. I love doing both fishing and hunting. Wanting to start doing some mid to long range target practice. Loving the forum so far. Always shoot with a .270 but recently made a purchase on a rifle chambered in 6.5 CM. I have always only used Nikon Prostaff scopes and don't have experience with anything else. I feel they have very good clarity but again, have never seen through anything else. I was wondering if those with experience on other brands could perhaps give me some advice or share any opinions.
    • What is the platform for the scope? bolt action rilfe
    • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 CM
    • What is your intended use for the scope? Mostly deer hunting, would like to also start doing some long range target practive
    • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? mostly daylight, but wildlife activity is highest at first light or right at sunset
    • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 50 yards plus, no more than 600
    • Are there any specific specifications you would like? really wanting a 50mm objective, reticle and turrets to match, and clarity
    • What is the price range you can afford? really dont have such a high budget, I would love to spend about $500 but if an exceptional deal comes up, i might just stretch out to $800

There are however, a few key points i want to point out, and perhaps hear from you all what your thoughts are on them.

I have heard that vortex has amazing customer service and an excellent warranty, kind of want to go with Vortex for that.

With Nikon, I have never had to send anything back, but I hear their CS is the complete opposite of Vortex.

Why do Prostaffs have 98% light transmission and Monarchs have 95%? Aren't Monarchs supposed to be better?

I also have a few scopes in mind that might seem good and maybe would like to hear from everyone about them.

Weaver tactical - 3-15x50 or 4-20x50 (I hear this company has been sold and bought in the past so much, how would their warranty be considering this?)

Vortex - viper PST 4-16x50 FFP ( I know this one is out of my budget, but wouldn't be a bad idea if I find a used one within my budget)

Nikon Prostaff 7 - 4-16x50 or 5-20x50

Nikon Monarch 5 - 4-20x50 (loving the fact that this one has the ED glass but not sure on the 1nch tube)

SWFA - 3-15x42 ( have heard amazing things on SWFA but really not sure if i should consider it because of the 42mm objective)

And for those of you who have vortex vipers, how do they look towards the higher magnifications? Do they start to haze really bad, or what can you say about them?

Again, I will be using this for hunting, so for me clarity and light transmission are important because most of the activity is right at sunrise or right at susnet when low light conditions present themselves. Having all this in mind, is there anything that someone would like to say. Any thoughts or opinions would be highly appreciated. Also, if there are other scopes or brands that you guys feel I should know about, please do not hesitate to comment about them.

Thanks...

Last edited:
    Maybe do some searching on this site and elsewhere about Athelon Scopes.........seems to be a lot of buzz about the being very nice scopes at bargain pricing.

I will post this one up for you to look at: http://m.cameralandny.com/spec_sheet...B0%5D=1258571#
    this is a demo scope....being sold by a supporting vendor here. I put a Minox ZX5.5-25x on a rifle for my father. Really clear optics with repeatable turrets at a very reasonable price.

I can't comment on the more expensive Nikon scopes.....mine are all Buckmasters and they are mounted to my rim fire rifles. They serve me well.

The particular Vortex PST you mentioned.......if you do a search......there were several complaints about the optics package being dark and perhaps less clarity than the 6-24x version. Not sure if that was ever sorted out. I have a 6-24x PST and it serves me well.

Not sure about the Weaver..........last one I purchased was from the original company......great scope. Don't know about the new ones.

The problem you'll find is........when you try and find the "Perfect Scope" to function for hunting, competition shooting and long range on a single rifle.......it's really hard to point to one scope and say.....that's the one. Generally a hunting scope doesn't require all the features of a long range tactical scope, like zero stops and lighted reticles. And a scope for F class or 1K BR target shooting......will tend to have finer adjustments on the turrets, generally no zero stops along with higher magnification.

Last edited:
    Why are you set on a 50mm objective? There are some decent scopes with a smaller objective that still gather plenty of light for dusk hunting. I have a vortex pst 2.5-10x32 that has great clarity even at close to dark. It's better than the swfa 3-15 and I picked it up as a demo for $400. The swfa was a fine scope for the money and hard to beat at your price point.

You could probably find a used Burris xtr ii if you shop around, great value for the money.

If you're wanting a vortex, some merchants are selling the pst first gens cheap right now to clear inventory for the gen 2s. I recently saw a sale at smwh for a gen 1 pst 6-24x50 for $750. That's just one store, other may have better deals. Just my $.02

From your list Vortex. If I could add one I would say look into Athlon

According to the scopes you mentioned I think you are missing or mixing one important feature, which focal plane of view do you want? FFP or SFP? There is a price difference between both.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

According to the scopes you mentioned I think you are missing or mixing one important feature, which focal plane of view do you want? FFP or SFP? There is a price difference between both.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I'd really like to own one in the first focal plane but I also know that it might cost me some more. Which is why I have a mixed list. Thanks for asking, I should have clarified that since the beginning.

I'd really like to own one in the first focal plane but I also know that it might cost me some more. Which is why I have a mixed list. Thanks for asking, I should have clarified that since the beginning.

Then I think your best bet is the Athlon Argos BTR line, FFP, 50mm lens, iluminated reticle, lifetime warranty and MSRP less than $444.99

Sergio,

If you can stretch to $800, then get a lightly used Bushnell 3-12 LRHS. It will do everything you have anticipated and take you well into capabilities you haven't foreseen a need for. I have seen them recently go for as low as $675 and even at the more normal $800 used, they are a bargain. Mine tracks perfectly, and returns to zero perfectly. It has a great feature set: FFP, zero stop and capped windage turret. The glass in my 3-12 is well beyond its price point. You could spend far more for far less scope.

John

Thanks to all for your replies. I definitely do enjoy hearing from others and any experiences you all have had. I still welcome more people to post as I should mention, I am in absolutely no rush for this scope so if you think I can find something a bit better at a higher price I might just wait longer and save from a few other paychecks. Once again thanks to all.

I'd get an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 FFP
    in MRAD/mil if you plan on doing a lot of precision rifle comp/tactical style stuff
    or MOA if you prefer

$360 or so and GREAT glass, no clue if it's accurate in tracking, but great scope for the $

get that and upgrade to better scope if you feel the need in the future

my recommendation to anyone for under $1000

I have definitely been looking into Athlon for the past month or so. Just scared that it's a company that's barely starting to get known. I'm a bit scared about warranty a few years down the road and durability of products.

anyone have anything to say about Burris Veracity?

Reactions: Sley Shooter

If you are using a traditional hunting reticle such as a fine crosshair then FFP isn't necessary. Mil Dot or Christmas tree and then FFP is advantageous. If you are rapidly engaging targets at multiple distances then I view FFP as a necessity.

Last edited:
    I have definitely been looking into Athlon for the past month or so. Just scared that it's a company that's barely starting to get known. I'm a bit scared about warranty a few years down the road and durability of products.

anyone have anything to say about Burris Veracity?

Outdoor life had a glowing review on the Veracity so I picked up a 5-25 with the SCR reticle. Features for the price are impressive and it has a lifetime warranty. It's also nice that the turrets can be changed from tactical,exposed to capped for hunting. I haven't really had a chance to take it out yet but the glass looks good. That being said, I also ordered a Vortex with the EBR-2C reticle. I think the reticle in the Vortex might serve my ambitions for long range target and competition.

Stello, the Athlon line of optics are nice. I have two, 6-24x50 and 8-34x56. I liked one so much I bought another. For 370 bucks nothing in a variable touches them. Nice clear glass, moa/moa or mil/mil, lighted reticle and tracks well.
    Something to ponder.

Once again, thanks to all for the input. I decided to go with a burris xtr ii 4-20x50. However, recently I found a weaver tactical 3-15x50 for sub $600. Now I'm extremely stuck between the two. Optics shopping is definitely not easy. If i were to get either, would it be safe to assume they are both clearer and brighter than my 200 dlr prostaff scopes? I just don't want to pay a lot more than my prostaffs to get illuminated reticle, tactical looking appearance, and all these other features but then have a lower quality glass.

Will the glass be better? That is a subjective question, but I doubt they would be worse. That leaves you with more features and the same glass as a worst case.

Last edited:
    Don't discount Athlon simply because they're new. On of the Hide members was part of helping them design the scopes with features and reticles that discerning shooters wanted. On the old site there was a 20+ page thread of people who were super happy with them, and keep in mind that the average member here tends to pay WAY more for one scope than the average shooter will pay for all the scopes they own in their lifetime combined.
    For your intended starting purpose and budget, you don't need to spend a ton, and honestly may not even "need" FFP. You'll be happy with pretty much anything that's been suggested until you make the mistake of looking through a scope a few levels more expensive.

one option I haven't seen thrown out yet is an old first gen Bushnell DMR. They've been upgraded enough times now that the old models can be had for right around your high end budget and until you start obsessing over revs per turn or zero stops it'll remain a very viable optic for when you decide that 600yds in a 6.5cm is like keeping your Ferrari in 2nd gear. I still have one and couldn't replace it for the price, although Athlon will be getting some of my budget scope money in the future.

I use my swfa ss 3-15 ffp plane mainly for hunting and varmint ing. On 15power the reticle is big. The scooe in my opions has plenty of light transmission for dark t8 dark hunting..
    a sfp swfa 3-15 might be better for hunting. I'll likely never use ffp reticle to range a deer. I have spent some time ranging with reticle and comparing to my range finder and find it damn hard to accurately range with the reticle.. so for me even though I have ffp scopeople I feel for my use as I mainly hunting scope I'd be just as happy with sfp though I do know that it's cool to say we haved a ffp scope cause all the coolatest guys do.

good luck and don't discount the fixed power swfa stuff either. Not a darn thing wrong the 42mm objective and may see just as well as lots of 50mm bellss

Vortex Razor Gen ll 3-18x. You won;t regret it out to 1200 yard. If you want a little further go the 4.5-27 but for inside 1000 it might feel like too much magnification.

I picked up an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34 that I am extremely happy with. I think I payed like $384.00 for it on Amazon.....

I have considered the Athlon Argos BTR a lot, the only thing that keeps me from going with that one is the fact that they do not have a 4-16 magnification scope. The 6-24 I feel is a bit too much, I want the lower magnification to be 3 of 4. I think as of right now, I'm considering the PST generation 1 (because of their price drops), weaver tactical 3-15 (because I found one under 600 bucks), and burris XTR II because I found one under 900 bucks. Everyone is always so helpful here, definitely enjoying the forum. I might also look into some Bushnells that have been suggested. This might make it more difficult lol...

Last edited:
    I'll agree with Gordon. I love my swfa. I've had had experience with sightron weaver and mainly Leopold vxiii. The 3-15x42 swfa ss is baddass in comparison to what I've been using.