• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 CM or 6.5 Lapua? New to build on older Savage 10 .308

midwest dually

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2014
I know the may have been beat to death already, but I have spent a lot of time searching to find answers, and details are missing, so if someone can fill me in, that would be great!

Not necessarily a low budget build, but not full tilt either, lol!

I have an older Savage 10 (stagger feed) SA .308, that will be creeping up on time to build up. Everything else, such as free floating full alumn chassis, optics, bipod, etc is upgraded big time.

Now I have been researching and interested in upgrading to the 6.5 calibers, and options. I know many have advised to go out and lay down a hard chunk of cash and just start over, which I am not looking to do. All of what I have so far went well under budget, so its reasonable to keep on building this!

That being said, am I correct in understanding that I can change out the barrel only, and fit the 6.5 Lapua round without any other large moddifications, such as bolt head, DBM feed? As compared to having to switch out not only barrel, but bolt head and feed for the DBM on a 6.5 Creedmore?

What else will I be looking at for either of these upgrades?

Yes, the goal is beyond that 1000 yard consistancy in windy conditions, competitive shoots and own reloads!

Any help ould be great!

Both the 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor use the .308 bolt head and .308 magazine systems. If you're switching the barrel, I would recommend upgrading to a precision ground recoil lug.

Creed will fit and feed from the magazines better.

I find the 6.5 Lapua feeds smoothly with no hang ups from an AI mag. It probably depends on the bullet and the reamer used (freebore). I use 130 Berger VLDs seated at the lands with an oal of 2.785" with plenty of room to spare in an AI mag. I can get speeds up to 2940, but I primarily use 2866 fps out of a 26" barrel.

They both use the same bolt heads and should feed from the same magazine, both should be a simple barrel swap. I can't see any reason to choose one over the other based upon these criteria. The Lapua has better brass, small rifle primers and less case capacity. The Creedmoor has more case capacity and large rifle primers. For beyond 1000 yd shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor might offer a slight improvement in shooting 140 grainers with it's slightly bigger case, but it's really splitting hairs.

I am feeding a 6.5x47 Lapua just fine from a BDL type on a M7 action. 130 Nosler AB at 2850 from a 24" barrel. Certainly doesn't suck!

OP, you must be confused and thinking about 6.5 Saum. It requires a magnum bolt face and different mags.

If you reload get 6.5x47L. If not 6.5 Creed is the answer.

this is my savage model 10 stagger feed 6.5 creedmoor very accurate

some targets as you can see these are typical groups

These cartridges are very close to one another. As has been mentioned they use the same bolt head and mag.

I run a creedmoor as that is what our team shoots. But I have been tempted by the Lapua for the better quality brass.

Do you want Lapua brass and small rifle primers or Creedmoor with its slight advantage in case capacity.

Had to make the same decision also. I chose the Lapua cuz everything I reload for takes small rifle primers. Don't have to mess with changing equipment around. I don't shoot the big stuff, yet anyhow.

No love for the 260? I would think if you had and reservations about feeding and bolt face this would have been at the top of your list. Nosler and Lapua brass as well as cheap Rem or resized Win...

That works! I appreciate all the feedback and info, so now I a bit more comfortable moving forward!

The differences between the 6.5x47Lapua and 6.5Creedmoor are largely academic. If you reload and like Lapua brass then your choice is clear. If not, then go the other way. Still undecided; flip a coin. 200 cases will be enough to burn the barrel out.