• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6.5 cm vs 308 for hunting.....

Snipenace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
GA
I am looking at rebarrleing my 308 and was wondering if the 6.5 cm is a good round for hunting whitetail deer. I will be using 140 amax with a fps about 2800 to 2900. Is there any pros and cons vs the 308 round? My longest shot will be about 600 yards.

Re: 6.5 cm vs 308 for hunting.....

I run the 6.5 with 140 Berger vld hunting. Nasty nasty round on everything from predators to elk. Never had to track anything.

6.5 is all I'd want.

I say yes.

Yes. I shot two tough critters this weekend with 140 AMAX, pushed out of a 6.5CM. Both were right at 400 yards, both DRT. the first was a hybrid sheep ( red/Coriscan cross), the other was an auodad, a very tough critter. If that is anything like what a 140 usually does, you'll have no issue with whitetails using that combo.

prolly have to revise my sig, now that MRX are discontinued.

6.5 CM is a great Whitetail round. Dropped a doe at around 500 yds this fall with one. She didn't take a step.

Thanks for all the input. I will be going to the 6.5cm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 CM is a great Whitetail round. Dropped a doe at around 500 yds this fall with one. She didn't take a step.</div></div>

500 is a chip shot with that rifle. You sure it wasn't further than that, Mammal? I wouldn't think you'd even bother squeezing on something that close at Bainbridge.

As a .308 owner, I'm going to tell you to go the 6.5 route. Great round for everything.