• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 Creed chamber/reloading question???

WallNutt

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2013
North Carolina
Hoping someone can tell me differences between these two chambers beyond the obvious thats stated….What do the numbers represent for the reloader??
What is the diff in the chambers that would not allow the A-max loads to chamber in the SAAMI spec'd chamber for Bergers? (And they won't , Ive checked) Can the factory loads be seated deeper and still work in the SAAMI chamber?
Need some help from someone in the "know"

6.5 Creedmore "tactical" (BERGER VLD) SAAMI 1*30 0.109 HSS GO (setup for Mag tolerant heavy Bergers)
6.5 Creedmore "Amax" (Setup for factory Hornady Amax)

Im pretty sure they came from Kiff at PTG. I guess I could try to get on the phone with him. Bought some of the "Pre-rolled" Hornady 120 A-max pills and they won't chamber, and I haven't got all my stuff together to roll my own yet. Headed to Afghanistan next week and was hoping to shoot it some before leaving. I guess thats out the window. I just assumed a SAAMI spec chamber would accept factory ammo….thats what I get for assuming I guess.

The SAAMI listed is for the neck diameter not the whole reamer. The berger reamer has a shorter freebore in to the throat, only differnce I believe.

The berger VLDs are longer than standard bullets so they shorten the throat on the reamer so when you load the bergers to the lands you can still fit them in standard mags.

I have one built by LRI with the shorter throat for the bergers. You'll pretty much have to handload to use that rifle.

The Berger freebore is about .090 shorter than standard SAAMI, but I don't know where in the mix LRI's 'amax' reamer falls, I haven't seen the specs for it.

You could possibly get away with just pushing those amaxs farther into the case with a seater die until they chamber, but that will increase pressure an unknown amount due to the smaller 'combustion chamber' with the same amount of powder.

Proceed at your own risk. I can't say I wouldn't try it if I had the die sitting around but it could be an expensive experiment if the pressure climbs t0o high. Better off to roll your own.

When you do, shoot me a PM and I can let you know what works for me with 130 bergers on a rifle chambered with the same reamer.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
[MENTION=75200]dbowhunter[/MENTION]
Thanks bro. Exactly what I was looking for. Factory stuff is not gonna work I can see. As I said haven't got my 6.5 dies yet. Planned on shooting factory just to try it out. Not gonna work obviously. Disappointing but I will get my shit together while deployed. Just gonna have to let it sit a few months. Interested in your recipe if you wanna share by PM. Love Bergers for all my other rigs, so I'm sure they will do fine in this one. Any other takers input appreciated....Nutt

If you need loaded ammo, looks like Copper Creek has Berger 130vld's loaded in stock. A bit more than factory Amax but then so are component prices. Just double check that their coal will work in your rifle.

Oh and thanks for your service.