• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report 6.5 Creedmoor 120 GR GMX

nomore606

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2010
Florida
Hello everyone I just received my new GAP and the only ammo I could find is the Hornady Superformance 120 GR GMX. Has anyone shot this round before? Does anyone have an data on this round? How does it compare to a 140 GR AMAX?

With 6.5 CM 140 Amax being hard to find lately I have been thinking about trying some of these GMXs. I've also seen the 129 SST and Interbonds available. Does anyone have any range reports with any of these factory loads?

If I remember right, the BC isn't too good for those if your wanting a LR round. ....somebody will chime in to correct me I'm sure.

I've got several hundred rounds that I bought for hunting season and practice before hand but since I've had superformance mess up 2 guns sense then I AM HAVING A hard time deciding whether or not to use Amax's or risk hurting my gun. I feel good about amaxs hunting. But I am also very interested with a range report from the hunting variety.

I've got several hundred rounds that I bought for hunting season and practice before hand but since I've had superformance mess up 2 guns sense then I AM HAVING A hard time deciding whether or not to use Amax's or risk hurting my gun. I feel good about amaxs hunting. But I am also very interested with a range report from the hunting variety.

Were you runing gas or bolt guns that got messed up?

I shot a box of it over the chrono. Target results at 500yd were acceptable, about 3/4MOA and for factory ammo with a cannelured hunting bullet I was happy with it. I still shoot whitetails with the 140 Amax though. The 120 GMX factory ammo was pretty hot, from the 22.5" barrel I shoot the bullets were passing the chrono avg 3075fps roughly, IMO that's pretty darn quick and I noted that the primers were somewhat flattened, definitely flatter than my known-to-be-warm 140Amax handload. From the 20rds fired I didn't notice any undue fouling or negative behavior. Later the same day my buddies and I were shooting milk jugs full of water at 1040yd with the Amax's.

The deer that I've shot with the Amax's have not gone more than a few steps, if any at all. I have absolutely no reservations using the Amax for a whitetail bullet. I shoot so many thousands through the year that I'm far more confident punching vitals with my usual match load than by using some factory hunting ammo that I"m not anywhere near as familiar with.

Here's a side by side of the 6.5 Creed loads with the data from the Ballistic AE app

e2aru4ym.jpg

Last edited:
The 120 GMX sounds like an excellent factor loaded hunting round. One of the Hornady reps told me they need at least 1900fps to expand properly unless you hit bone so one should be good out to 5-600 yds. I've knocked a lot of game down with the 165 GMX's out of a 308 and they do penetrate qutie well on heavier game(mule deer, elk and aoudad). I would have no problem poping whitetail with the A-max but in my guiding business I generally try to back up my hunters especially when were hunting aoudad, there is about a 15 second difference between a 30 minute harvest and a two day harvest! They can take numerous good hits and run up a vertical rock bluff and out of sight unless you knock out their front moving gears! I should have the factory loaded 129SST's early next week so I'll try to get a range report with velocities.

The GMX is the Hornady equivilent of the Barnes TSX. Its made to kill things dead.