• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor for a mile?

Shot the furthest I have shot so far over the weekend. Tikka TAC A1, 6.5 CM. 1400 foot altitude. Hornady 147 grain ELDM. Shot target at 1150 metres, after working up to just over 1000 metres on the previous target. Hit the 1150m target on the second shot and the first shot was only just off the edge :)

I'll work up to longer distances next session.

---

I'm also getting a difference between my elevations on Strelok Pro and actual. Have chrono'd my ammo. Used the G7 of 0.351 printed on the box. Set the density altitude on Strelok. Strelok was giving me an elevation of around 14 mils to make that shot. In reality, I only used 13 mils. I was only able to hit the 1150m on the second shot as I'd already shot 1000 metres and noted the actual elevation was less than what Strelok was predicting.

Any ideas?

Shot the furthest I have shot so far over the weekend. Tikka TAC A1, 6.5 CM. 1400 foot altitude. Hornady 147 grain ELDM. Shot target at 1150 metres, after working up to just over 1000 metres on the previous target. Hit the 1150m target on the second shot and the first shot was only just off the edge :)

I'll work up to longer distances next session.

---

I'm also getting a difference between my elevations on Strelok Pro and actual. Have chrono'd my ammo. Used the G7 of 0.351 printed on the box. Set the density altitude on Strelok. Strelok was giving me an elevation of around 14 mils to make that shot. In reality, I only used 13 mils. I was only able to hit the 1150m on the second shot as I'd already shot 1000 metres and noted the actual elevation was less than what Strelok was predicting.

Any ideas?
Adjust your BC if your velocity is correct.

If you're impacting high, raise the BC.

Opposite for impacting low.

It's easiest to do it at 600, 800, then 1k.
From there you should be good.

Reactions: Biscuits
I can't speak for 6.5 CM at a mile but just because the bullet goes transonic, it can still hit the target. Some bullets do better through the transonic phase than others, for example the Berger 185 juggs. But even a 140 hybrid can do reasonably well in the transonic as long as you have some kind of DOPE or maybe a custom drag curve. Going straight from say 1000 to 1600 would be a challenge but depending on the weather and the ability for a spotter to walk you on the target it's doable.
I'd be probably more worried about having tight SD/ES than trying to crank up as much speed (147 @ 2900 is quite hot for a 6.5 Creed). I'd say gusty winds and heavy mirage would probably be the hardest factor to tackle.

Going back next month to try and up my previous 1150 meters on the 6.5CM to a mile. If it can’t quite make it, I’ll see if I can borrow the range’s 338 Lapua Magnum ;)

Anyway, a question about StrelokPro. This is the app I use. I’ve seen some comments that it is not so good on bullets which have gone transonic or subsonic. And that Applied Ballistics is better for ELR.

I have the MV for the 147 ELDM and dopes to 1150m for my rifle already.

Sweet Zombie thread that was revived in May...
I'll jump in this too... I will soon be attempting >1k with a 6.5. Just ordered an Ivey Base. In the meantime I'm going to do some prep dope estimations for 1250 (my ranges max) and hopefully mile with this rifle. I've shot 1k a few times with it.

I have 2 pet loads with the 6.5RAP. 1st is a rainbow 143eldx @2550 but its super accurate node. The other load I have is Berger 130 HTs at 2900 with RL16. I feel pretty confident at decent groups at my ranges 1250, but I'm wondering what bullet would be best at 1 mile or what bullet/bullet traits make it more/most stable while going through the transonic zone. I'm hoping my 130 bergers will stay trans, but I only have about 20 rounds of those left and other stock is nil. I have a few hundos of the Barnes 140MBs but I really count those as more plinking ammo.
There's also talk about the Flatline bullets, which I'm about to check out and will report back.

Also what zoom are you guys normally on when shooting these longer ranges?
thx.

A buddy (6.5 creedmoor in a Savage BA stealth) and I (6.5x47L in a Remington 700 semi-custom) attempted this last year on a 36x24 piece of steel at 1900 ish yards. My buddy was having scope issues but I went 6 for 9. I was hovering around 15x in my Burris XTRII 4-20x50 (MOA) and spotting a miss was impossible. This was after shooting at 1000, 1250 and 1450 yards. I recently bought a 338LM and will be doing the same thing again here soon.

Reactions: AwesomeDude
I have some FL123 bullets on the way now. it says backorder, but was shipped out fast.
Their load data and RL16 or 26 is one of the fastest speeds and I think it can get a MV of 3000-3100 which should stay supersonic to around 1600 yds, I'm not sure if it will stretch super to the mile though. Either way should be some fun. I need to get some cases annealed.

Good luck with the 338!
So you were saying you COULD spot misses at 1450, but not at 1900? what mag were you at and how big was the target in the reticle? Do you feel more mag would have helped spot the misses?

I'm still leaning toward the sightron SII 10-50 scope. The base mag where the hashes line up are @24x, I can't wait to get my hands on one with this base.

I have some FL123 bullets on the way now. it says backorder, but was shipped out fast.
Their load data and RL16 or 26 is one of the fastest speeds and I think it can get a MV of 3000-3100 which should stay supersonic to around 1600 yds, I'm not sure if it will stretch super to the mile though. Either way should be some fun. I need to get some cases annealed.

Good luck with the 338!
So you were saying you COULD spot misses at 1450, but not at 1900? what mag were you at and how big was the target in the reticle? Do you feel more mag would have helped spot the misses?

I'm still leaning toward the sightron SII 10-50 scope. The base mag where the hashes line up are @24x, I can't wait to get my hands on one with this base.
The targets up to 1450 were definitely in a better spot to see a miss, with a large hill of very soft dirt behind them. Even then, sometimes it was hard to see them. The 1900 yard (ish) taget was pretty flat for a little ways behind it and had some bushes. Not the best spot but you make do. I say 1900 ish yards, because at the time I didn't have a rangefinder that would get it in one shot so it was the total of 2 ranges (angle might not have been perfect). Best I can remember I was at or very close to 15x. The scope I had maxed out at 20x so that was kind of the sweet spot. Not sure if more magnification would have helped. Conditions were excellent, with very little wind. Elevation was about 4300 ft asl.

Reactions: newageroman
I can't speak for 6.5 CM at a mile but just because the bullet goes transonic, it can still hit the target. Some bullets do better through the transonic phase than others, for example the Berger 185 juggs. But even a 140 hybrid can do reasonably well in the transonic as long as you have some kind of DOPE or maybe a custom drag curve. Going straight from say 1000 to 1600 would be a challenge but depending on the weather and the ability for a spotter to walk you on the target it's doable.
I'd be probably more worried about having tight SD/ES than trying to crank up as much speed (147 @ 2900 is quite hot for a 6.5 Creed). I'd say gusty winds and heavy mirage would probably be the hardest factor to tackle.
100%. Some pills do it really well, some do it marginally well and some suck cheetos. Berger Hybrid 140's at 2780 have been pretty dang fun at a mile lots of laughs and smiles.

Right know it looks like I'll be there, let you definitely know tonight. Went home at noon yesterday and did sleep a lot with the the correct med's in my ear. Feeling better this morning. Looking forward to the 1 mile shootout tomorrow :ROFLMAO: It seems to be about the same dope then my rimx at 430 yards, so at least on paper it sounds durable.

Reactions: atepointer
Right know it looks like I'll be there, let you definitely know tonight. Went home at noon yesterday and did sleep a lot with the the correct med's in my ear. Feeling better this morning. Looking forward to the 1 mile shootout tomorrow :ROFLMAO: It seems to be about the same dope then my rimx at 430 yards, so at least on paper it sounds durable.
Glad you are feeling better....if you can't make it there will be other days....I'm headed out regardless so no biggie if ya gotta bail. Ur up first light winds ~ 5 for a bit then picks up quickly.....I already told you what I think you are gonna do think positive!

Reactions: Schütze
Glad you are feeling better....if you can't make it there will be other days....I'm headed out regardless so no biggie if ya gotta bail. Ur up first light winds ~ 5 for a bit then picks up quickly.....I already told you what I think you are gonna do think positive!
Hmmmm not quite sure what I would miss more, shooting at 1 mile or the barbeque @ Smokin Joe's

That Rim-x is junk. You should sell it to me to save yourself the embarrassment of carting it around. 🤣🤣

Hmmmm not quite sure what I would miss more, shooting at 1 mile or the barbeque @ Smokin Joe's
Well you didn't miss much OTHER than bbq that's for sure....I'm gonna brag on you a bit. @Schütze shows up yesterday never having even looked past 1200 yards and with factory ammo. Sea level, hot, humid and 5-7 mph winds with typical FL storms passing through the day gusty and variable. First round perfect elevation just off target I'm thinking ok that's tough to beat here we go. He snuck one just inside the 12" bullseye by 5th or 6th shot. Then went over to the 2moa target and he just got in the zone and punched a bullseye that was maybe 1" high and 1" right of absolute dead center. Was fun to watch way to go man I knew you were going to do well b/c I've seen you shoot, but was under the assumption the factory load was going to be a hurdle(ASSumptions were dead wrong). My gut tells me once you start reloading though it's going to make your mile adventures even more successful as I know that engineering brain of yours will have a load dialed into perfection quite soon But dang.....that was a hoot to watch you Schutze way to go man. The volume of hits you kept within 1.5MOA was extremely impressive with whatever it was you were shooting.

And Mike got his new load finalized for his new barrel last week and being the best shooter I know it was about like I thought it would be......borrrriinnnnngg. Was no different than wtaching him shoot at 400 just had to wait ~4 seconds for impact.....literally yawning after the first few hits wold have been easier to say 'let me know when you miss'.

Last edited:
So, while I was doing cabinet repairs for my Mom, @Schütze was doing this?

653072151.jpg

Not fair!
Not fair at all...😁

Great shooting T.

Reactions: newageroman
I may be off a bit here, but If memory serves Schutze roughly translates to "Shoots Easy!".

Just pure rookie luck, couldn’t have done it without 8pointer’s support and encouragement. The center 🎯above was perfectly shoot by 8pointer, I think he did this to give me a better point of aim :ROFLMAO: But of course lots of fun, surprised the prime ammo with the 130 Norma got me there. But thank you for the kind words guy’s.

Last time out, there were 3 shooters running suppressed rifles- all in 6.5 Creed and trying to hit at a mile.
They had much better spotting glass than we did- but they could never spot their hits- or their misses.
We were shooting a .338 LM- and spotting was still difficult due to mirage.
Even the remote cam downrange had such a shitty refresh rate it was useless.

Presumably the bullet will get there- it's a matter of seeing it at that range. Not likely you're gonna hear it ring even if you do hit- but freshly painted steel is always a plus. Conditions have the most bearing IME, here in FL early morning is best- no mirage. By mid-morning the sand is baking and the mirage can get so bad it's often pointless shooting much beyond 1K because you can't see shit.

If it doesn't go the way you hope, don't be discouraged. Like I said, if you can't spot impacts- just bring it in closer to where you can (or just pack it up and not waste precious ammo slinging it downrange). If you otherwise like the range, build yourself a heavier-hitting rig more suitable for ELR.

Reactions: Bradu
Last time out, there were 3 shooters running suppressed rifles- all in 6.5 Creed and trying to hit at a mile.
They had much better spotting glass than we did- but they could never spot their hits- or their misses.

Presumably the bullet will get there- it's a matter of seeing it at that range. Not likely you're gonna hear it ring even if you do hit- but freshly painted steel is always a plus. Conditions have the most bearing IME, here in FL early morning is best- no mirage. By mid-morning the sand is baking and the mirage can get so bad it's often pointless shooting much beyond 1K because you can't see shit.

If it doesn't go the way you hope, don't be discouraged. Like I said, if you can't spot impacts- just bring it in closer to where you can (or just pack it up and not waste precious ammo slinging it downrange). If you otherwise like the range, build yourself a heavier-hitting rig more suitable for ELR.
We don’t usually have the swamp air like Florida here on the west coast so visibility is usually much better.
6.5CM at a mile here isn’t all that difficult.
Sometimes it’s he wetter ground conditions can make it interesting but usually you’ll see and hear a hit.

Reactions: Schw15
Sometimes it’s he wetter ground conditions can make it interesting but usually you’ll see and hear a hit.

Even when I go out to the dry hills of Cali, setting a target in a gully vs up a slope makes a huge difference in spotting hits misses - drier soil vs slightly damp.

Last edited:
My wife just last week popped about 100 balloons that we had strung up for my lil bits 7th bday party. I almost stopped her but figured that would lead to more questions I didn't really want to answer and I can stop at the Dollar General on the way to the range so...

Anyone else use balloons to spot splash/hits. I also have some great ideas to try the next time to the Long Range.

If you happen to be referring to JTAC feel free to let me know we if you'd like a quick tutorial on that camera system it really is the beez kneez! Using the "spot shot" after a video plus having it saved to your camera roll so you can go through it slowly will probably capture 95% of your misses you don't get in real time video. We don't even use spotting scopes any more and other than being able to read mirage through your rifle scope the conditions do not matter at 1mile/2k. So much so that it's easier to shoot at 1 mile/2K than it is at 1K in the middle of the day where there is no camera. Further you can shoot by yourself if need be.....last couple of weeks buddy's were messing with new load dev, new barrel etc....no prob just self spotted with my phone app. If your dope is reasonably dialed in within the frame of the video and using 338 you probably won't lose a single miss with the video review. hope to catch you there one of these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze
Confirmed, 8pointer is the camera master at JTAC! He also hits the 🎯 too…. with the 6.5 Cr.

Confirmed, 8pointer is the camera master at JTAC! He also hits the 🎯 too…. with the 6.5 Cr.
I dunno about that, but I can muddle through the video doable now. There are still a few features we are not using that I want to check out, but have to be hooked up to the router to mess with so gotta be on site. You still good for next week?

Can someone bring a 70" TV and hook it up to the router?
We could sit back, drink coffee, watch and cheer (or heckle) the shooter on.

Can someone bring a 70" TV and hook it up to the router?
We could sit back, drink coffee, watch and cheer (or heckle) the shooter on.
Why not directly a VR headset, nobody would have an idea what you‘re really watching. Just say you didn’t see the impact….

• Love
Reactions: Mike Casselton
all i know is imma be getting my fix b/f heading out of town tv or no tv!

Better get that Luh Poopa brass loaded up.
No excuses.

I'm gonna load my new brass just so I have some kind of excuse. 😂