• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 Creedmoor, how are you guys liking yours?

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor, how are you guys liking yours?

Where did you get the Winchester brass?

Winchester Brass that was loaded by McCourt Munitions. Not cheap but his ammo is top notch as it gets.

PM Andrew and he might be willing to sell some. He has alot of 6mm brass but I don't know how he is on 6.5 brass.

Im <span style="text-decoration: line-through">using</span>was using factory Hornady ammo. 140gr Amax's

Chrono said 2820fps out of a 23" Rock tube!

Accuracy with mine has been under half MOA every outing. I put 500 rounds down it, cleaning only a couple times.

I LOVE the 6.5creedmoor and don't plan on changing to anything else anytime in the years to come.

Sadly, I just sold mine. To the man who bought mine, if you read this, enjoy it man. I sure have!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ss10ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I LOVE my 6.5 cm!!!! DTA with a SAC barrel.

It is the best/most accurate gun I've EVER owned.

005.jpg
</div></div>

+1 My DTA/SAC 6.5 Shoots outstanding out to 1K so far the Berger 140 VLD Hunting/Match are outstanding too</div></div>

+2 My DTA likes the 120 Amax better than the 140. sub half minute groups e very time I have shot them. Playing with matching the factory loads with handloads. duplicating factory loads is leaving me 150 - 200 fps short across the board.

I have one also, and it's still my favorite. Things I like/love about it are that it's super accurate, very affordable factory ammo, shoots great out to 1 K, low recoil, and the barrel should last a very long time. I still haven't hand loaded for it, so I can't offer any opinion on that matter.

I'm on the fence with this round. I got a surgeon in 6.5cm as a hunting rig and I am not sure I am seeing much benefit over a 308 using 150gr sst's. I am going to shoot it out to 600 this coming week so I can get a better feel. I may end up rebarrling back to 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Winchester Brass that was loaded by McCourt Munitions. Not cheap but his ammo is top notch as it gets.

PM Andrew and he might be willing to sell some. He has alot of 6mm brass but I don't know how he is on 6.5 brass. </div></div>

I don't need any cases but I thought Hornady was the only game in town.

What I was really interested in was freebore. I'm going to order a reamer with .150" instead of the standard .199". I thought someone might have some experience with a shorter than standard length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the fence with this round. I got a surgeon in 6.5cm as a hunting rig and I am not sure I am seeing much benefit over a 308 using 150gr sst's. I am going to shoot it out to 600 this coming week so I can get a better feel. I may end up rebarrling back to 308. </div></div>

That's a first. That I've read anyway.

That small of a difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the fence with this round. I got a surgeon in 6.5cm as a hunting rig and I am not sure I am seeing much benefit over a 308 using 150gr sst's. I am going to shoot it out to 600 this coming week so I can get a better feel. I may end up rebarrling back to 308. </div></div>

At what distance were you "not seeing much benefit"? Out to 600 the 150 sst at 2900-3000 fps will have similar drop as a 140 Amax at 2850 but then the Amax leaves the SST behind quickly. Any wind when you were shooting? After 300-400 yards the wind advantage becomes noticeable quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the fence with this round. I got a surgeon in 6.5cm as a hunting rig and I am not sure I am seeing much benefit over a 308 using 150gr sst's. I am going to shoot it out to 600 this coming week so I can get a better feel. I may end up rebarrling back to 308. </div></div>

At what distance were you "not seeing much benefit"? Out to 600 the 150 sst at 2900-3000 fps will have similar drop as a 140 Amax at 2850 but then the Amax leaves the SST behind quickly. Any wind when you were shooting? After 300-400 yards the wind advantage becomes noticeable quickly. </div></div>

Like I said its a hunting rig so I won't see many shots past 500

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the fence with this round. I got a surgeon in 6.5cm as a hunting rig and I am not sure I am seeing much benefit over a 308 using 150gr sst's. I am going to shoot it out to 600 this coming week so I can get a better feel. I may end up rebarrling back to 308. </div></div>

At what distance were you "not seeing much benefit"? Out to 600 the 150 sst at 2900-3000 fps will have similar drop as a 140 Amax at 2850 but then the Amax leaves the SST behind quickly. Any wind when you were shooting? After 300-400 yards the wind advantage becomes noticeable quickly. </div></div>

Like I said its a hunting rig so I won't see many shots past 500</div></div>

Careful Nexus, no one wants to hear that the ole .308 has a job anymore.

Do any you guys use the Berger 140 hybrids? If so, your thoughts and what load?

I just picked up some 140 grain Hornday Match for the CM. They were out of A-Max. Any one load these?

I just got back from the range shooting it. Money well spent, reloading for it will get more bullet options and more FPS.

There was a post a little bit ago in reloading section on these here's a link to it. 140 HPBT Match I have always wondered about em but never used them because even my .243 there wasn't a big enough price diff. to steer me away from the Amax's and the Amax's just shot so damn good even out of the factory barrel. Good luck and let us know how they work out for you. I just picked up 200pc brass and some 140 Amax's in preparation for when my rifle is finished (will get some 130 & 140 Berger's when it gets closer) now I just have to find a way to keep myself busy to pass the time away!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scootball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any you guys use the Berger 140 hybrids? If so, your thoughts and what load?</div></div> I'd be interested in feedback on these as well

Well I shot both at 600 and there was not a noticeable difference to me anyways. I'm going back to the 308.

My broughton barrel just arrived yesterday. Can't wait to get it up and running

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: para1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My broughton barrel just arrived yesterday. Can't wait to get it up and running </div></div>

Tell me about your build.

Chad just finished up my 6.5CM today and will be shipping it out to me Monday!!!!! I can't wait to take this thing out. Problem is it will be arriving at my door the same day my daughter will be born so no the best timing but excited still the same. I have a bunch of reloading gear/supplies coming in that will keep me busy for those first few weeks with the newborn:)

I like the littler brother of the 6.5 Creed, the 6 Creed, so far anyways. Cant wait to see what it shoots with a good dose of RE17 and 105 Hornady HPBTs, Berger VLDs & Hybrids.
IMG_0721.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad just finished up my 6.5CM today and will be shipping it out to me Monday!!!!! I can't wait to take this thing out. Problem is it will be arriving at my door the same day my daughter will be born so no the best timing but excited still the same. I have a bunch of reloading gear/supplies coming in that will keep me busy for those first few weeks with the newborn:)
</div></div>

Congrats Dad. You can size cases and post pics between AM feedings
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the littler brother of the 6.5 Creed, the 6 Creed, so far anyways. Cant wait to see what it shoots with a good dose of RE17 and 105 Hornady HPBTs, Berger VLDs & Hybrids.
IMG_0721.jpg
</div></div>

Very nice. What paint scheme is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad just finished up my 6.5CM today and will be shipping it out to me Monday!!!!! I can't wait to take this thing out. Problem is it will be arriving at my door the same day my daughter will be born so no the best timing but excited still the same. I have a bunch of reloading gear/supplies coming in that will keep me busy for those first few weeks with the newborn:)
</div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div> that's funny you say that cause I told my wife the same thing and she just rolled her eyes at me. However a few years ago when my other daughter was born I built a second reloading/ work bench in our master closet since the cold/hot extremes of the garage were a little too much and it quickly became my primary bench and I have even rearranged it so the bassinet will fit right next to my stool.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is easily the second most popular caliber rifle we build. Only the .308 is more popular.

We've yet to see one that didn't shoot well with factory 140-grain ammo. We have not seen the aforementioned pressure signs so I guess we got lucky on lot numbers.

I like the cartridge so much I'm waiting on my own 6.5 to be built. I'm doing mine on a Stiller Tac30 with a Brux barrel and Manners stock. Absolutely can't wait.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad just finished up my 6.5CM today and will be shipping it out to me Monday!!!!! I can't wait to take this thing out. Problem is it will be arriving at my door the same day my daughter will be born so no the best timing but excited still the same. I have a bunch of reloading gear/supplies coming in that will keep me busy for those first few weeks with the newborn:)
</div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div> that's funny you say that cause I told my wife the same thing and she just rolled her eyes at me. However a few years ago when my other daughter was born I built a second reloading/ work bench in our master closet since the cold/hot extremes of the garage were a little too much and it quickly became my primary bench and I have even rearranged it so the bassinet will fit right next to my stool.
</div></div>

Should work well as long as you don't get you case shuckin' materials mixed up with the butt shuckin' materials.
smile.gif
You are the man!!

Tag. I've building a .264 and have all the parts assembled (Bartlein SS 1:8.5 M40 contour 27" blank, McRee chassis, Rem700 SA) and am leaning heavily towards the CM for the chambering. This thread eases my mind some. My rifles are mag-fed, which is one of the reasons I am thinking CM over .260 and I don't reload.

Am thinking of finishing at 26" or 24" as I've heard you want length for the 6.5's, but it looks like a few here are getting high MV from even 21" tubes....that's interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the littler brother of the 6.5 Creed, the 6 Creed, so far anyways. Cant wait to see what it shoots with a good dose of RE17 and 105 Hornady HPBTs, Berger VLDs & Hybrids.
IMG_0721.jpg
</div></div>

Very nice. What paint scheme is that? </div></div>

Chad calls it Alpine Holographic.

It's funny you mention running faster velocities with a 21" barrel. I just got home from the range and getting the rifle dialed in. Again, I'm running a 21" Rock Creek barrel and I shot factory 140 Amax (Lot # 3121232). I chrono'd 5 rounds and got an average of 2830. I thought this was a little high but I zero'd the gun, shot a group and a few dot drills. All rounds were inside the 3/4" dot
smile.gif

Well we back upped to 460 yards and set up with steel (1/2-3/4 Larue Style torso's) staggered at 140,326, and 460. I shot a center mass shot and a little low, right. I fired again at center head and hit the neck. I adjusted and fired center head and made a hit on it. After looking at my adjustments it's putting my velocity at 2800 even. I'm still very excited with this velocity from a 21" barrel. I plugged in everything again with a 2800fps velocity and fired at a small 4" pumpkin that was left over from some Halloween fun...HIT on the 4" pumpkin.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow of the targets and a few groups. My buddy is gonna pull some bullets and measure the charge from that lot of ammo I shot. I've heard that some people have been getting some hot rounds from some factory 140's lately, maybe thats the case.

I was thinking about rebarreling back to 308 but after today, its just so accurate and wind calls were so much easier.

So I guess this as good as any thread for my first post...

I've got a Savage 10BA on the way, (24" barrel with brake), and now need some ammo. Seems like from this thread that the 140g stuff is doing the best at distance, which is why I bought this gun. I've going to order some ammo, and there is virtually no price difference between the 120g and 140g Hornady AMAX, so I thought I'd get a couple boxes of each, along with some Winchester 140g match, and Nosler 140g match, just to see what my rifle likes most. I've got a local range that I can shoot out to 960yds.

Also, are the problems with the Hornady ammmo been corrected, (popped primers, etc.)?

Thx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cried yesterday when I found out I'm going to have to sell mine, if that helps you understand.

+1 for McCourt loaded 130's. My 21" Rock is pushing Andrews loads close to 2900fps
smile.gif
</div></div>

Dude, that sucks so bad. That rifle of yours is sweet and if I had the extra cash I'd buy it from you and let you get it back later.

I too love my 6.5CM. Here's a vid I took at PTS this weekend. The flapper target is 6 inches and the distance is 605 yards. You'll have to turn the volume up some if you want to hear it all, some reason the volume came out low when I put the vid together. I also made a hit at 1095 (or was it 1098?) yards this weekend as well.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoErKmZMfkI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoErKmZMfkI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I didn't know Southwest made 6.5 CM? It's not listed on there website.

I love mine (20 inch sako trg, re barreled by APA), but my 11 year old boy loves it more. He got bored hitting the 1000 meter buffalo at Whittington, so he tried to shoot, run the bolt, and shoot again before the first round hit.... Very accurate, very low recoil, world-class recipe on the box!

image.jpg Another at 600 yards. Fifteen shots in 15 mph plus wind. Vertical is good but wind was playing a bit on the horizontal.

Loving it. Going to run this load to 1k this weekend and see how it does.

bh04,

That's the same load (20 thou jump) I use in m AI AE (26" AINA Bartlein) and it gives similar 5 rd groups at 100 metres. A bunch of us are getting together at a friend's place on Saturday where he has steel out to 1200 metres so looking forward to see how it shoots at further distances. I have only shot his rifle out to 400 m so far and it was averaging half moa. Also have some 178 AMAX loaded up for my AT so looking to stretch the "ol" .308 out as well.