• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5 Creedmoor Prime Ammo

Anyone else having trouble chambering the new Prime 6.5 Creed? They are extremely tight in my chamber. So much so that i can't see ever using them. I bought three cases. With Hornady, the bolt closes fine.

That's interesting. I bought a case of prime to try and have had mixed results, but was also going between factory hornady140 eldm and the prime. Will have to clean and retry.
In my Bergara Elite, the Hornady shoots much, much better 6.5 Creedmoor 24” SD. I just shot prime out of my AI 6.5Crredmoor 24” Barrel and it was accurate enough but I typically get around (8) SD out of my 168 -175 grain FGMM 308 So I bought a case of the new FGMM 140 Grain as I’ve always been super happy with their ES and SD. The velocity could be 50 FPS faster...
I think that is a cheap shot. It is very consistent in my estimation. My rifle seems to like it a lot. No different than Hornady 147 grain. I have also shot PRIME's .308 with great success over FGMM
So I have shot multiple cases of Prime, Hornady 140 ELD, and I’m going to try the FGMM. Out of my Bergara Elite 24” 6.5 the Hornady blows the Prime out of the water.out of my AI 24” 6.5, all match loads will shoot. I will say objectively that when prime had the Swedish (Norma) Brass I loved that. Their previous brass was some of the best out there. Their American Offering I haven’t tried yet because all the lawsuits and constant marketing have been a bit much for my taste....I’m going to try the new FGMM 140
In 6.5 Creedmoor.I can say based on experience, that out of my KA SR 25 ECC suppressed 308, that I get great SD and ES from FGMM 175... SEE photos.. YMMV...

Attachments

• 9DD18B79-26EA-4B70-B7D5-52F84490227A.jpeg
    9DD18B79-26EA-4B70-B7D5-52F84490227A.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 65CEBC7A-EDA0-419C-840F-C5D3732ACF73.jpeg
    65CEBC7A-EDA0-419C-840F-C5D3732ACF73.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 13D77E8B-AF9E-44E6-9BF5-31BD73E616D6.jpeg
    13D77E8B-AF9E-44E6-9BF5-31BD73E616D6.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 60
  • 75F9DBEB-CB3A-4A45-A5EE-40D66688A2F4.jpeg
    75F9DBEB-CB3A-4A45-A5EE-40D66688A2F4.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 51
  • EAA59736-DC36-4BE2-9BBD-6EE3F709FBBD.jpeg
    EAA59736-DC36-4BE2-9BBD-6EE3F709FBBD.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 52
In my Bergara Elite, the Hornady shoots much, much better 6.5 Creedmoor 24” SD. I just shot prime out of my AI 6.5Crredmoor 24” Barrel and it was accurate enough but I typically get around (8) SD out of my 168 -175 grain FGMM 308 So I bought a case of the new FGMM 140 Grain as I’ve always been super happy with their ES and SD. The velocity could be 50 FPS faster...

So I have shot multiple cases of Prime, Hornady 140 ELD, and I’m going to try the FGMM. Out of my Bergara Elite 24” 6.5 the Hornady blows the Prime out of the water.out of my AI 24” 6.5, all match loads will shoot. I will say objectively that when prime had the Swedish (Norma) Brass I loved that. Their previous brass was some of the best out there. Their American Offering I haven’t tried yet because all the lawsuits and constant marketing have been a bit much for my taste....I’m going to try the new FGMM 140
In 6.5 Creedmoor.I can say based on experience, that out of my KA SR 25 ECC suppressed 308, that I get great SD and ES from FGMM 175... SEE photos.. YMMV...

My mileage certainly does vary from yours.

My AI loves both new and old PRIME. Very little difference between the two. I have shot both at distances from 200-1,000 yards. Hornady match 140 ELD-M is woefully underpowered compared to PRIME. I no longer use it. I use their American Gunner 140 grain BTHP. I think it is one of the best values out there. If you really want to get the most out of the 140 ELD-M bullet, try the Sparks Munition version. Much better MV and results at distance.

I have shot PRIME 308 out of my AI, my Larue AR10s and my KAC ECC. It works well but I don't find it any better than FGMM 175 SMK so I stick with that. It is one of the best values out there.

Reactions: DIBBS and Voyager1

My AI loves both new and old PRIME. Very little difference between the two. I have shot both at distances from 200-1,000 yards. Hornady match 140 ELD-M is woefully underpowered compared to PRIME. I no longer use it. I use their American Gunner 140 grain BTHP. I think it is one of the best values out there. If you really want to get the most out of the 140 ELD-M bullet, try the Sparks Munition version. Much better MV and results at distance.

I have shot PRIME 308 out of my AI, my Larue AR10s and my KAC ECC. It works well but I don't find it any better than FGMM 175 SMK so I stick with that. It is one of the best values out there.
This is not a criticism of Prime. It shoots very well out of my AI....Clarification is that all of the AFOREMENTIONED match loads including the prime shoot sub MOA at 100 meters. It’s way more capable than I. This is not bash PRIME, I just decided that I would trial the FGMM 140 in 6.5 CR As their QC has been in my experience better than any other loads. I know the original prime was Norma Match Which is excellent AMMO. It performed very well in the AI. I’m trying not to have to reload because of time. If I can find an OTC load with a SD of 12 or less, I’ll make sure and LET EVERYONE KNOW!
??????????
cheers

B

btw, I DO NOT care for Hornady brass as it’s “soft” IMHO....do you know which brass the American made Prime uses? Curious as to what your SD’s are from your 24” AI? I wouldn’t mind paying 1.50 a round if it’s delivering consistent SD of 12 or <.....JMHO
Cheers????????

Btw thank you for that tip...I had no idea regarding AG...I’m not a brand person (except I love AI and I love KA)....lol

Sorry, have you tried the new FGMM 140? Grain 6.5?

B

btw, I DO NOT care for Hornady brass as it’s “soft” IMHO....do you know which brass the American made Prime uses? Curious as to what your SD’s are from your 24” AI? I wouldn’t mind paying 1.50 a round if it’s delivering consistent SD of 12 or <.....JMHO
Cheers????????
The made in America ammo uses Peterson brass. Just got some to try today.

Sorry, have you tried the new FGMM 140? Grain 6.5?

I have not tried that one. If I shoot 140s, I use Berger's version or Spark's version.

I have tried FGMM 6.5 using the Berger 130 OTM and it does not compare favorably to Berger's own cartridge. I found it inconsistent. Never ran an SD on it but I don't think it would fare too well based on the 130 performance. Berger's 130 and 140 have the lowest SDs that I have tried using 20 round strings of fire. The new PRIME also produced excellent SDs. The old PRIME was not far behind. I still need to test the Sparks with the 140 ELD-M but I think that would do well also

Reactions: Voyager1
What factory ammo have you shot with better SDs than that?

I have not tried that one. If I shoot 140s, I use Berger's version or Spark's version.

I have tried FGMM 6.5 using the Berger 130 OTM and it does not compare favorably to Berger's own cartridge. I found it inconsistent. Never ran an SD on it but I don't think it would fare too well based on the 130 performance. Berger's 130 and 140 have the lowest SDs that I have tried using 20 round strings of fire. The new PRIME also produced excellent SDs. The old PRIME was not far behind. I still need to test the Sparks with the 140 ELD-M but I think that would do well also
i didn't have great luck with the 130 Berger FGMM but the 140's are a SMK so I figure, I have tried many things but not everything else, so I have nothing to lose. I was also going trial the gorilla match ammo...The worst thing that can happen is that I use it in my LMT 6.5 24" Rifle... JMHO...keep on trying...

what were your SD with the new prime versus the old prime? you saw I WAS Getting around 17 which is OK but nothing special....

The made in America ammo uses Peterson brass. Just got some to try today.
Cool every barrel is different so please let us know how it goes as far as velocities, ES and SD and barrel length, type and caliber....

CHEERS

Reactions: Mike4837
My SD for new PRIME was around 11 for 20 shots...old PRIME was 13 for 20 shots.
WOW, I use the same Bartlein Barrels as you do. Every barrel is of course its own animal, but the Prime 175 grain 308 which I like to shoot out of KA 20' ECR or my HK didn't have as low of an ES or SD as the FGMM 175 SMK's but the original brass was top notch. I paid a lot for those Prime 308 rounds back in the day, i think they were around or close to a 1.50 each....
Tell me Im crazy, but HK doesn't have near the quality of barrel that an AI bartlein does. Yet the ammo produced a SD 0f 6.0 with (8) rounds and when I was done shooting a 20 round string it had a SD of 10 FPS! I've never had that from any match ammo I've bought after shooting a full magazine.......YMMV....THOUGHTS?
The HK is the most accurate gas gun I own. that was the first shots from my rifle with that gizmo attached. Ive put 6 rounds in the same hole with this rifle. The only other rifle capable of that accuracy is the AI however the ECR is close.....

IMG_1210.jpeg

IMG_1208.jpeg

IMG_1219.jpeg

Just asked myself this question this morning, and grabbed the following data on Prime's 130gr 6.5cm (barrel is new FYSA) out of a 16.5in barrel:

Cold Barrel:
20191208_092132.jpg

Hotter Barrel:
20191208_103506.jpg

I've been eyeing their group buy...just not willing to go in on an "unknown" for my rifle. Sadly, I'm waiting to be reunited after several months apart over Christmas - too late. I'll be able to throw some 130 grain stuff down range then, at least (Federal and Norma IIRC). My barrel tends to run very, very slow - it'll be interesting to see what MV I get. In a perfect world, it'd be enough to run with the 140 ELD-M which chrono'd a "blistering" 2585 fps out of my rifle the last time I ran it. Only the 130 gn stuff has even been close to published, so far.

If it was in the last (6) months it’s their Zuss load which has mirrored my results with the Norma loaf although a more respectable speed which it should be at 24”....

Got it. Thx. Def ordered around 2 months ago

meant their “american” load in the last (6) months. My sd’s from a Bartlein barrel have been around 17 cold bore to 19’ FPS hot with the European Norma type prime load. Sorry about the lack of clarity. Dictation sometimes sucks ass

Reactions: chrome
I tried some of the new Prime American stuff the other day in a fresh 24” PVA 6.5 creed barrel.

Just a couple short strings but Prime 130gr averaged 2815fps, SD: 27.4 ES: 65.

Same time the federal gold medal Berger averaged 2806fps, SD: 14.7 ES: 27 and Berger 140gr hybrids averaged 2785fps, SD: 5.2 ES: 13. All shot under half minute at 100 yards, but I imagine I’d see that velocity spread at distance fairly quickly.

I tried some of the new Prime American stuff the other day in a fresh 24” PVA 6.5 creed barrel.

Same time the federal gold medal Berger averaged 2806fps, SD: 14.7 ES: 27 and Berger 140gr hybrids averaged 2785fps, SD: 5.2 ES: 13. All shot under half minute at 100 yards, but I imagine I’d see that velocity spread at distance fairly quickly.

Whoa that’s not good. What Chrony?

Thank you. I don't understand why Prime had such great QC when they first came out of europe but since that time it seems as though there are so many different reports of both good and poor. The aforementioned is abysmal performance for PRS. SD of 27.4 is downright awful. That sounds weird. Just curious how many rounds you fired and can you confirm what lot number you had? I shot some of the new FGMM 140 grain SMK just to try it (forgot my chrono but does anyone have any info on the new FGMM SMK)? I'll post my targets from 200 yards....out of an AI 24" 6.5 Creedmoor Bartlein barrel....

The first target is 5 shots each of the 130 berger and the 140 smk FGM
The second is 5 shots with 14o FGMM SMK with one shot at base testing for optical alignment and position on paper

IMG_2551.jpeg
IMG_2552.jpeg

Thank you. I don't understand why Prime had such great QC when they first came out of europe but since that time it seems as though there are so many different reports of both good and poor. The aforementioned is abysmal performance for PRS. SD of 27.4 is downright awful. That sounds weird. Just curious how many rounds you fired and can you confirm what lot number you had? I shot some of the new FGMM 140 grain SMK just to try it (forgot my chrono but does anyone have any info on the new FGMM SMK)? I'll post my targets from 200 yards....out of an AI 24" 6.5 Creedmoor Bartlein barrel....

The first target is 5 shots each of the 130 berger and the 140 smk FGM
The second is 5 shots with 14o FGMM SMK with one shot at base testing for optical alignment and position on paper

View attachment 7204279View attachment 7204280
that's what i was wondering.
Magnetospeed v3

It was only a string of 5 rounds, I did it for each ammo I had trying to decide what the rifle liked and what to use for matches.

I’d be open to trying another box of prime if it was just an outlier, but the velocities were all all over the place, it wasn’t just one of the five that skewed the data, and I’m not gonna pay $26+$12 shipping just to try another box. I wish prime would have midway or someone carry their ammo. I still think it’s decent stuff, but not decent enough for me to try it again when I can get the Berger 140s there for $28 a box all day, plus free shipping.
3475FC14-FB0B-45B6-84F1-A97BC5437C8E.png

Compared to the Berger’s
A1B36A42-E3F2-46B6-9F50-6CA07FC8C7FC.png

I know I pulled both of those shots, I’m playing with positioning the rifle much further in to my chest versus the shoulder pocket since it’s more comfortable on my neck. The other 4 in each group broke well.

I’ll snag the lot number as soon as I get home.

ETA: I cannot find a lot number on the box anywhere, unless it’s the bar code or under the bar code sticker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voyager1