• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 6.5 creedmoor reamer question

6mmbr

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
IL
Can a 6.5CM reamer be run into a 6.5x47 chambered barrel and used without taking any of the threads off?

Re: 6.5 creedmoor reamer question

I'm no expert, but my guess would be no. The 6.5 CM case is longer than the Lapua, so I would guess that you would be able to do it w/o cutting it back, and threading.

Vise versa going from Creedmore to Lapua it would need to be cut back, threaded, and chambered.

That's just my guess. Someone here may be able to give you a better answer.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor reamer question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmbr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can a 6.5CM reamer be run into a 6.5x47 chambered barrel and used without taking any of the threads off? </div></div>

"Theoretically" that might work, but there's a real chance the body/shoulder junction might not totally clean up. The 6.5x47L diameter at the shoulder is ~0.457", the 6.5Creed is suppose to be 0.459", BUT the Creedmoor shoulder is about 0.100" farther forward.

Since you're going to have the barrel in a lathe anyway, I'd rather take two turns off, recut the barrel shoulder and be 100% sure the reamer will totally cleanup the old chamber.