• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor Tikka with 24" barrel.

JC_Tikka6.5

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2020
Hello all. I'm not sure exactly where to post this questions but here it goes. I'm looking to buy ammo for my new rifle. I dont want to be putting crap ammo thru it as I have read that even if I'm going to be target shooting for fun it's best to run decent to great ammo. To get consistency. I'm looking to buy bulk because unfortunately I live in California and I want to be set for a while. Can you guys recommend a type of ammo I should be shooting. I'm new to the 6.5 so I dont know much . I want something that I can buy bulk and is a good ammo. However not something that will cost and arm and a leg as I will be mostly shooting for fun to get better at further target shooting (not competing) and occasionally hunting. Thank you all.

I had good luck with 1 case of the american gunner which shot under 1". The next case is more like 1.5" groups at 100. Sometimes 3 shots will do well then start to walk.

really good luck with 140eldm and 143eldx. Also Prime 130. they were all about 3/4" for five shot groups.

The 147 eldm did not shoot great. I think mostly due to lack of speed out the tikka barrel, but others seem to not have problems.

Buy a case or two of any of the below brands and youll be happy as a claim.

PRIME 130

Hornady American Gunner 140

S&B 131 and 140 Grain

Federal FGMM 140 (small primer)

Berger 130 and 140

I've put Hornady black 140 and Hornady match 140 through my 20" CTR. Black shoots the best at 100 (right at 1/2 minute). From 600 yds. to 1000 yds. the match held a slightly better water line but not enough to justify the price difference. That was after barrel sped up 80 FPS between 150 and 200 rounds.

Reactions: JC_Tikka6.5
I’ve shot a lot of american gunner and it seems to do pretty decent. Shoots well out of my savage, but it’s kinda slow. LAX ammo usually has it for a decent price.

PRIME 130

S&B 131 and 140 Grain

Berger 130 and 140

If you had to buy one in bulk which one would you prefer? Again I'll be mostly shooting targets for fun and occasionally hunting. Simce I live in California I'd rather buy in bulk since I have to do a background check and pay FFL fees everytime I buy a box 🤦‍♂️

Yep problem is you don't yet know which of these your rifle is going to like. It's likely worth making the effort to order up 3 different boxes and hitting the range. It would suck to order a case only to find out your gun hated the load. If I had to just guess at it I would use Hornady Match or Hornady Black just based on my experience with them. But that’s my gun. Could be a whole different story on your gun.

Try the new sig elite 140’s , they shoot great all the way out to 1100 Or

any fgmm, Hornady eld, Or prime

if your not shooting past 800 just stick with Hornady agunner. Best Ammo for the price

Last edited:

PRIME 130

S&B 131 and 140 Grain

Berger 130 and 140

How far are you shooting the e S&B? Haven’t tried those yet?

I have run amg through 3 different tikka 6.5 crreds all shot it well to 600 yards , sub moa easily check prices on line by some and try it. I can not tell what will shoot well in your rifle you have to try it.For hunting you will need lead free ammo. :(

Last edited:
I had good luck with 1 case of the american gunner which shot under 1". The next case is more like 1.5" groups at 100. Sometimes 3 shots will do well then start to walk.

really good luck with 140eldm and 143eldx. Also Prime 130. they were all about 3/4" for five shot groups.

The 147 eldm did not shoot great. I think mostly due to lack of speed out the tikka barrel, but others seem to not have problems.
Your results are exactly opposite of all my 6.5 Tikkas. Lol. American Gunner shoots as good as any and the 147gr just as well if not a little better. The American Gunner and 147gr shoots great in every 6.5 rifle I have ever had or shot. Many. Rifles can all be different though.