• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor vs. .308 win for beginners

Greg - good points on the 260. To me the deciding factor is that folks can get quality factory ammo for the creedmoor at a great cost which is not necessarily the case for the 260. Additionally, almost every major gun manufacturer is running several models in the creedmoor, which all seem to produce sub MOA accuracy with little effort.

I just discovered that the new Hornady/Frontier 5.56 75gr HPBT Match load is finally available from Midway, and have ordered 120rd for testing. It's unclear whether the LC brass, loaded at Lake City Arsenal, has crimped primers. If it does, I'll give the fired brass to my Buddy, who makes his own 300BLK cases.

I freely admit a bias in favor of the .260, since I started shooting it back in 2001. For someone like myself, who has a long-term investment in the chambering, it makes little sense to invest in a second, nearly identical, but mildly inferior 6.5CM chambering. For a newer shooter, not similarly invested in the .260, the 6.5CM makes better sense than it might in my own case.

In my view, the ability to utilize 7-08 brass for the .260 by simply running it through my F/L die makes the deciding difference. There is no corresponding brass for such conversion to 6.5CM. These days, all my 260 brass starts as Hornady 7-08, and I seldom, if ever, need to deal with a brass shortage.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: el_cazador713
New #17
“I'd say 308 because EVERYONE is on the 6.5 kick and it makes the 308 cheaper from the start. Some very nice 308's are being looked over because of this "fad". Sometimes the chunky nerdy girl gets the job done nicely.“

+1

I also started on the .308, and there's not ever been a danged thing wrong with it. But once I got to the 6.5, I found I just wasn't shooting the 308 anymore, hardly at all. I got in a (few?) health/bills bind(s?), and had to choose, 308 vs 6.5; my biggest gulp was parting with the M1A, but that's where the money was, and the bills were calling really loud right about then.

I have never abandoned a chambering because it didn't perform (and yes, to those who know me, I still have that .30BR barrel and dies...).

Lately I bought another .308, mainly because my Savage 11VT 223 needed a big sister who could handle occasional F T/R distances beyond 600/800yd. If you want to shoot F T/R 1000yd, you will do a bit better with the .308 than with the .223. I love the rifle, but I still need to shoot it more.

For F Open, I have the 260, and that's not changing

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
I don't understand why someone wouldn't like the 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistics are better, recoil is less, accuracy is just as good, bullet choice is excellent, factory match ammo for reasonable money and resale will be better. The one place that the creedmoor loses to the 308 is barrel life.

Reactions: Bender
Hard to find cheap plinking ammo for the 6.5 as well. I understand it may not be worth burning through barrel life with plinker rounds to some people, but sometimes we don't need match ammo at the range for short distances (under 800).

Whether it's running positional drills or just playing games with buddies running 5.56 or .308, an affordable plinking round like the S&B is easier to find with .308 by far than 6.5CM

Hard to find cheap plinking ammo for the 6.5 as well. I understand it may not be worth burning through barrel life with plinker rounds to some people, but sometimes we don't need match ammo at the range for short distances (under 800).

Whether it's running positional drills or just playing games with buddies running 5.56 or .308, an affordable plinking round like the S&B is easier to find with .308 by far than 6.5CM
You're not looking very hard if you can't find cheap plinking 6.5CM ammo

Reactions: Nik H and Bender
You're not looking very hard if you can't find cheap plinking 6.5CM ammo
Cheap to some is expensive to others. Creedmoor 6.5 plinking ammo runs about $.75 vs cheap 308 at $.50 so I can see the argument. When I am looking to plink I turn to the 223 at $.30 a shot.

143g ELDM and RL-26 is stupid accurate in my buddies new CM and fast...2910 out of a a 23" barrel.
I don't understand why someone wouldn't like the 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistics are better, recoil is less, accuracy is just as good, bullet choice is excellent, factory match ammo for reasonable money and resale will be better. The one place that the creedmoor loses to the 308 is barrel life.

All true.

Inside 500 yards ballistics are the same.

The .308 shoots a heavier bullet with higher sectional density. That makes it a better choice for large game.

On steel you go from a bong with the .308 to a ding with the 6.5.

Elk inside 500 yards, my choice is the .308.

Paper beyond 800 yards, my choice is the 6.5.

Both good choices. Horses for courses.

And yes, the .308 barrel life is better.

Is it easier to spot your hits under recoil with 6.5 ? vs 308 ?
6.5 was designed to be a 308 with slightly higher BC and slightly lower recoil. So, the recoil is lower, which makes it a bit easier. But it's not night and day difference IMHO.

A braked 6.5 is like shooting a 223 though - hardly any recoil at all.

Same subject, I am building a LR rifle. I was considering , highly, the 308. I have been reading more and more about the 6.5. Can I build that on the same action as a 308 rem 700? Or change action and barrel?

Same subject, I am building a LR rifle. I was considering , highly, the 308. I have been reading more and more about the 6.5. Can I build that on the same action as a 308 rem 700? Or change action and barrel?

Just needs a barrel change. Both are short action, .473” bolt faced cartridges. Most anything with those two features will fit in your action.

Thanks, I’m new here and new to long range. I have not built the rifle yet. I am discussing every little detail with the smith. I have decided on a Macmillan a5 stock with surgeon bottom metal and mags. Remington 700 action. Schillen barrel. I can’t make up my mind on the scope yet, still have some research ahead. I haven’t decided yet what competition to get into. Maybe PRS.

I love shooting and purchased a .308 rifle with the hope of learning longer range shooting fundamentals.

I have learned a lot from this forum, from reading several books but still have much to learn.

I'm glad to say that i really enjoy the sport but was surprised and disappointed to learn that i was particularly sensitive to recoil.....perhaps i'm unusual in that regard?

I did spend a long time optimizing ergonomics, weight , load and balance and while it helped a bit, the .308 still beats me up after 20 rounds or so. I can shoot it longer but i don't enjoy it much if i push it.

Now i'm having to rebarrel to an easier to shoot caliber.

Were i to do it over i would have started with a lighter caliber, learned the fundamentals and if i found i could tolerate and enjoy a more formidable recoil character then i'd proceed accordingly.

I think the first thing I would do is not start with the Remington. A tikka or other action will beat the remmy pretty bad.

Esp if you are doing a custom - I’d get a custom action in there if you can. It’s the heart of the way your gun is going to feel.

the remington will run great accuracy wise, but so can a rebarreld and restocked mosin nagant. Doesn’t mean you want one of those coming home with you lol.

If I were doing a new custom it would be a remington footprint custom probably in a KRG chassis.

I have a Tikka T3 hunter in 308. I thought about building it. I wanted a new rifle and I wanted it to be built custom. 6.5 sounds like a great round to do this with, I may just change to that cartridge. Nothing has been purchased yet. I am gathering intel on the best parts, that I can afford.

308 is an excellent, relaible, truly battle tested round that will serve you well.

But there is a reason 6.5 CM has overtaken 308. And not just cuzza the fanboys.

I would recommend starting out with 6.5CM. I've heard good stuff re: 260 also.

Reactions: JmaxUSMC

5-shot groups either just under or just over half-inch @ 100y.

Reactions: JmaxUSMC
308 is an excellent, relaible, truly battle tested round that will serve you well.

But there is a reason 6.5 CM has overtaken 308. And not just cuzza the fanboys.

I would recommend starting out with 6.5CM. I've heard good stuff re: 260 also.

But in a previous thread you said you wouldn’t recommend a 6.5 to new shooters because “the long range game requires you to load your own ammo”.

So which is it?

But in a previous thread you said you wouldn’t recommend a 6.5 to new shooters because “the long range game requires you to load your own ammo”.

So which is it?

Wow. You keep archives on me. I'm humbled. :) (I will have to take your word on trhe quote you attribute to me.) But really.... I'm not that interesting. Don't waste your time. :)

So...which? BOTH. Newb shooters can be newb reloaders too. And factory 6.5 loads have improved over time and will get him going. Might not win matches, but certainly good enuf for range time.

The POINT is .... 6.5 CM has the higher up-side. And 308 is an excellent round.

Last edited:
This is our passion. We read. We remember. Like shooting, consistency is key to posting.

Careful.... or I'll tell your wife. :)

Do I need to get an attorney here to answer questioning? :)

Do forgive me, tho.... nothing you guys say is stuff I remember like 5 years later.... and return to ask U about... :)

If anyone can link me to that quote.... I really don't recall it. I'm a huge fan of 6.5 CM . And the factory loads are outstanding.

Maybe your split-personality, M1Aman, posted it?

Maybe. Sounds likesomething an M1A fan might say. My experince with 308 was thru a Rem 700. Back when I was shooting that, I wasn't relaoding.

So... yeah.... don't ring a bell AT ALL as something I've said.

And I am *not* M1Aman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spblademaker
If you read the context, its about the definition of a new shooter. Ripping things out of context is fun for the internet, but not really helpful otherwise.

I love my 6.5 CM and would heartily recommend the caliber to ALL shooters.

OP is a new shooter, and wants to discuss the merits of a 308 vs 6.5

In your own thread you state that you would NOT recommend a 6.5 for a new shooter for various reasons, one specifically being that if you don’t reload you won’t reap the rewards.

That’s not context, but facts coming straight from the horse’s mouth...

Oh and OP, choose what makes you happy. They both will work, and I am sure others with more in hand experience can help you in your quest.

308-
Longer barrel life
A bit more recoil
Less wind resistant
Match ammo a buck a round.

6.5 creed-
Shorter barrel life
Less recoil than 308
More wind resistant
Match ammo a buck a round.

Pick one and shoot.
Barrels don't last forever boltfaces allow many choices.
Either choice will last for a long time if time is spent arguing stupid shit on the internet.

R

I have, and enjoy, shooting both. The 6.5 gets the nod for ballistics. I cut my teeth on the 308 for long range shooting and reloading.

Apparently, someone hasn't heard of PRIME AMMO !!!

Reactions: garandman
If you read the context, its about the definition of a new shooter. Ripping things out of context is fun for the internet, but not really helpful otherwise.

I love my 6.5 CM and would heartily recommend the caliber to ALL shooters.

It's interesting that the only time you concede a dissenting opinion is when it's one of your own.

You’re all noobz, everyone knows the .219 Donaldson Wasp is the master chambering.

It basically shoots itself. It’s so good, I don’t even have one yet. I’m too scared of its power.

This is what it would say, if it had speech:

E1E1D684-A87B-4038-B12E-FC0277314BDD.gif

< < < And thanx for YET AGAIN changing my signature line to "Bad Advice Given Confidently."

Second time ya'll have changed that for me..

Mods even post stuff FOR ME. . I have screen shots of mods changing my posts.

This is a TRULY fascinating place. Never seen its equal. Its like some sort of psyops campaign going on here. :)

< < < YET AGAIN I changed my signature line to "Bad Advice Given Confidently."

Second time I have changed that for me...

Mods even post stuff FOR ME. . I have screen shots of mods changing my posts.

This is a TRULY fascinating place. Never seen its equal. Its like some sort of psyops campaign going on here. :)

• Haha
Reactions: cornhusker86