• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor

I've read through the thread but I'm looking for a quick sanity check before doing some fresh load testing on my gas guns (GAP10 and JP LRP-07.) Both rifles exhibit some issues when launching 140's and trying to keep them in the 2750+ range. After talking to both GAP and JP they both strongly suggested leaving the 140's for the bolt rifles and sticking with the 130's or under in the gas guns.

I have some Berger 130VLDs and some Sierra 123s on hand and I have a box of Lapua Scenar 123s incoming.

I'm going to be using Hornady brass, 210M primers, and H4350-- I'm looking for a sanity check as far as powder charge ranges for the respective bullet weights so I don't waste too much time testing. I'm thinking of trying:

42.5-44.0 gr with the 130 VLDs

43.5-45.0gr with the 123s (Sierra & Lapua for now, still trying to find some 123gr Amax)

Do both of those ranges seem like a good place to start for the respective bullets?

All will be seated to 2.800OAL maximum (mag length limited)

To all of you running LRP. Have any of you loaded hotter rounds using h4350? I am just curious as I am running 43.5 with 140 amax. No presure signs. Just curious.

Q=When I was load testing I went to 43.1, no signs of pressure. 41.7 shot just a bit tighter and dope out to 1K give me about 2820 for velocity. Couldn't find the Amax 140 so I picked up some of the 136 Scenars to try. Same load, jumping them .020, they didn't group as well as the amax at 200, but they didn't need as much elevation at 600. Need to play with the load some more and tighten things up. Load testing the Amax's I got less than 1/2 moa with the 41.7 load, and under 1 moa with 43.1.

Adding rifle info
Savage LRP with the factory barrel

Last edited:
I shoot 130 vld's through my LRP-07

42.3 grains of H4350 @ 2755 fps (10 fps ES across 8 rounds tested)

1/2 MOA.

I've read through the thread but I'm looking for a quick sanity check before doing some fresh load testing on my gas guns (GAP10 and JP LRP-07.) Both rifles exhibit some issues when launching 140's and trying to keep them in the 2750+ range. After talking to both GAP and JP they both strongly suggested leaving the 140's for the bolt rifles and sticking with the 130's or under in the gas guns.

I have some Berger 130VLDs and some Sierra 123s on hand and I have a box of Lapua Scenar 123s incoming.

I'm going to be using Hornady brass, 210M primers, and H4350-- I'm looking for a sanity check as far as powder charge ranges for the respective bullet weights so I don't waste too much time testing. I'm thinking of trying:

42.5-44.0 gr with the 130 VLDs

43.5-45.0gr with the 123s (Sierra & Lapua for now, still trying to find some 123gr Amax)

Do both of those ranges seem like a good place to start for the respective bullets?

All will be seated to 2.800OAL maximum (mag length limited)

I shoot 130 vld's through my LRP-07

42.3 grains of H4350 @ 2755 fps (10 fps ES across 8 rounds tested)

1/2 MOA.

My rifle didn't like the 123 Sierras, I tried 43.2-45.0 in 0.3gr increments and they were all over the place, best group was about 1 MOA at 300Y.

It did like the 130 VLDs, best group was about 1/3 MOA at 300Y. I tried 42.0-43.5gr in 0.3gr increments.

In eerie similarity to your LRP07 with 130 VLDs mine with 42.3gr under a 130 VLD chronographed at 2748 fps average with 2.1 SD.

My rifle showed an accuracy node right around 43.2 gr (2805fps); I need to do some more testing in that load range and then play with seating depth. When loaded to mag length the VLD's are about .045 off the lands.

My rifle showed an accuracy node right around 43.2 gr (2805fps); I need to do some more testing in that load range and then play with seating depth. When loaded to mag length the VLD's are about .045 off the lands.

Since I saw no pressure signs with my current 130 load, I might need to try 43.2 gr.

I shot a little under 1 MOA at 300 as well. A true testament to both the accuracy and consistencies
Of the LRP-07 platform.

Good stuff Kiba....

For the love of GOD..........you guys are killing me, everyone has great data but NO barrel lengths? Can you guys post what your barrel lengths are? Everyone here has convinced me to get a creedmoor and so far I love it. 24" barrel. Loaded 140 VLD from 41.6 to 42.8 in 0.2 steps and didn't really see much gain at all past 42.2. Anyone else run into this? Jumping 0.010" it toped out around 2760fps. Is this because of the 24" barrel? Thanks.........By the way the first part of my post was supposed to be funny and I was not trying to be an ass. Thanks guys.

For the love of GOD..........you guys are killing me, everyone has great data but NO barrel lengths? Can you guys post what your barrel lengths are? Everyone here has convinced me to get a creedmoor and so far I love it. 24" barrel. Loaded 140 VLD from 41.6 to 42.8 in 0.2 steps and didn't really see much gain at all past 42.2. Anyone else run into this? Jumping 0.010" it toped out around 2760fps. Is this because of the 24" barrel? Thanks.........By the way the first part of my post was supposed to be funny and I was not trying to be an ass. Thanks guys.

24in Rock Creek
42.5 h4350
2845fps 140gr hybrid .050" off

WOW, that sounds perfect. Are you getting the better speed because your jumping it farther or do you think maybe I just have a slow barrel?

I'm new to shooting and reloading and I'm looking for some help. My father is giving me a RCBS loader. I would like to get some quality 6.5 creedmoor dies. There are so many different dies available, I don't know which one to get. I was thinking of getting hornady's match dies(new dimension?), but I would like to stick with RCBS brand for compatability, if that even makes any difference. I see there are two and three die sets aswell. What are most of you fellas using? Anyone have a good recommendation? Thanks.

I'm new to shooting and reloading and I'm looking for some help. My father is giving me a RCBS loader. I would like to get some quality 6.5 creedmoor dies. There are so many different dies available, I don't know which one to get. I was thinking of getting hornady's match dies(new dimension?), but I would like to stick with RCBS brand for compatability, if that even makes any difference. I see there are two and three die sets aswell. What are most of you fellas using? Anyone have a good recommendation? Thanks.

I have the redding series d dies. I bought the vld seater stem and its just as good as my other comp redding seater dies. I also bought the Whidden fl/bump die with a .287 bushing. Very good and repeatable. Both the whidden and redding seater

For the love of GOD..........you guys are killing me, everyone has great data but NO barrel lengths? Can you guys post what your barrel lengths are?

25" Bartlein, 1:8.5 twist. I am not fully set up to reload yet, but am getting there. With factory Hornady I'm getting ~2,860 with the 140 Amax, and ~3,100 with the 120 Amax. Hope that helps.

I'm new to shooting and reloading and I'm looking for some help. .....There are so many different dies available, I don't know which one to get. .....What are most of you fellas using? Anyone have a good recommendation? Thanks.

Since I'm not yet fully set up, I can't comment on how they work, but I've gotten the Redding FL S bushing resizing die and their competition seating die. I'll be using a Lee breach lock press kit. So far just fondled them, but they look/seem like really nice dies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. One more question. Can I use any brand dies for a RCBS press? Or do the dies and press have to be the same brand for compatability, so they fit and work together properly? Thanks again.

No, I have a Lee press, and Redding dies....I'm pretty sure they're all compatible with each other. My dad uses Hornady and RCBS dies in an old Lyman press.

I was finally able to work on some loads for my 6.5 Creedmoor (Savage model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1, 24" barrel, 8 twist. I started with new brass, 142 SMKs, Fed 210 primers, and H4350 powder. I did an OCW test at 200 yds working up to 43 grains of H4350 with the bullet seated 0.020" off the lands. The sweet spot seemed to be at 41.7 gr, so I worked the seating depth from 0.010-0.040" off the lands. Today the 0.040" had the least vertical, so I'll be staying with that depth. Below are the details of the final load.

New Hornady brass
Fed 210 primers
142 Sierra MKs seated 0.040" off the lands (2.810" COAL)
41.7 gr H4350 powder
Groups - 3 shots = 0.583", 0.707", 0.669" @ 200 yds
Velocity = 2744 fps

Now I need to work on a load for the 130gr Berger.

I'm running about 2810 with a 27" barrel with the 140 hybrids. 2760 is probably about right with a 24" barrel. Its' still way better than a 308 because the bullet is so much better.

I'm running about 2810 with a 27" barrel with the 140 hybrids. 2760 is probably about right with a 24" barrel. Its' still way better than a 308 because the bullet is so much better.

Mike, I checked my throat this morning and man..... Wayyyy past mag length to be in the lands. So I loaded up some 140 vlds with 42.56 h4350 at 2.220 to the ogive. 5 shots at 100 gave me a .22 moa group. That was as far as I could load em in the mag. Trouble is I already got a ton loaded up short. I guess it really wouldn't hurt to use a lee collet puller and reseat them??

Actually had an interesting conversation about that with a benchrest world record holder about chasing the lands this weekend. He basically said it was not necessary. He didn't do it with his world record gun and it had ~1000 rounds down the tube with a pretty hot 30 cal round. I have seen no loss of accuracy out of my rifle even though the the throat has moved about .016" the last time I checked. I do shoot the Hybrids, but the VLDs shoot the same. I started them with a .060" jump and they shot a .240" group a while back right before I shot the .234" group with the Hybrids.

The only thing I've seen is the barrel was running about 2810 when it was new and then it speeded up to 2850. Now it's slowed down to 2810 and it's been pretty stable ever since. All I know is my intimidator scores keep going up and I am usually the wind test dummy.

Actually had an interesting conversation about that with a benchrest world record holder about chasing the lands this weekend. He basically said it was not necessary. He didn't do it with his world record gun and it had ~1000 rounds down the tube with a pretty hot 30 cal round. I have seen no loss of accuracy out of my rifle even though the the throat has moved about .016" the last time I checked. I do shoot the Hybrids, but the VLDs shoot the same. I started them with a .060" jump and they shot a .240" group a while back right before I shot the .234" group with the Hybrids.

The only thing I've seen is the barrel was running about 2810 when it was new and then it speeded up to 2850. Now it's slowed down to 2810 and it's been pretty stable ever since. All I know is my intimidator scores keep going up and I am usually the wind test dummy.

I certainly agree there's no no need to chase the lands. But what I forgot to mention is I shot my usual loads and they were about .33 to .38 moa. Then I just seated em to mag length and it started shooting like "it's supposed too".

I think my OAL for the VLDs is 2.830 - will have to check the book. Mag length is 2.880 I think. I haven't played much with the VLDs. They shoot pretty much the same dope as the Hybrids. Only difference I really noticed was shooting at the mile - VLDs tumbles at about 1500 and the Hybrids kept on going.

I think my OAL for the VLDs is 2.830 - will have to check the book. Mag length is 2.880 I think. I haven't played much with the VLDs. They shoot pretty much the same dope as the Hybrids. Only difference I really noticed was shooting at the mile - VLDs tumbles at about 1500 and the Hybrids kept on going.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind if I do some ELR shooting with it. Good info !

Anyone shooting H414 with the 140 amax?

I went up to 40.0gr today (hodgdons listed max is 40.1) but it's still way too mild and only runs 2602 fps average out of my 26" barrel. It seems to run pretty well in line with H4350 as far as charge weights go, so I'm hoping I can get to 42.5-43.0gr and find a node in that range. Just wondering if anyone has already gone down this path.

Thanks. Im going to load up from 40 through 43gr and see how it goes. If I can get 2750+ on a good node Ill be really happy.

25 inch 8 twist barrel.
H4350 43.1g (no pressure issues)
FGMM primers

Trued dope out, and Ballistic AE shows 8230fps Applied Ballistics shows 2846fps, but they both give the same output/dope.

POI does not change at 100 yards between 42-43.1

Gotta love creedmoor

pETFPR0.png

TsmZpTQ.png

Reactions: Sil17sd
I'm planning on having a custom build done in a 6.5 creedmoor over this winter. I can't decide between a 8" or 8.5" twist barrel. I'm thinking of just sticking with a 26" barrel. How much will the tighter 8" twist affect velocity over a 8.5"? Will it be much slower. I would like sling berger 140 around 2830-2850. Or 130 upwards of 2950 without sacrificing accuracy. Is the difference insignificant between 8 and 8.5 twists. I'm leaning towards 8 twist but i'm wanting to know if that will slow me down. opinions?

You have 5r rifling Mike? And by chance, do you have any load data for the berger 130's? Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
Just an update, I've settled on a load for now in my LRI 6.5 CM I recently had built in the group buy. It shoots better than me so that's how I know it is time to start shooting and stop 'developing.' Why waste barrel life when you are shooting below 1/2 MOA?

Complete specs below:

LRI Built 6.5 CM with PTG short throat reamer for mag compliant Bergers.
24" MTU Brux Barrel w/ JEC Brake

130 Grain Berger VLD's
44 Grains H4350 Compressed
BR2 Primers
Hornady Brass (Obviously)
Loaded just to the lands which is 2.087 at ogive with my comparator/chamber combination
OAL is apx 2.743"
Velocities on by ProChrono average 2872 fps with an SD of 9.9 with unsorted brass

You can see some targets and more info on the rifle at the link below. Scroll to the last few posts for shooting stuff.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...04938-my-first-build-details.html#post2690768

Last edited:
Dbowhunter, thanks for taking the time to document your build. That was a fun read, I was smiling the whole time. I love your setup. I'm wanting to do something similar. I feel like I'm in the situation you were in before your build. I'm trying to decide on going all out and getting a surgeon scalpel or try and piece a build together with my local gunsmith. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Dbowhunter, thanks for taking the time to document your build. That was a fun read, I was smiling the whole time. I love your setup. I'm wanting to do something similar. I feel like I'm in the situation you were in before your build. I'm trying to decide on going all out and getting a surgeon scalpel or try and piece a build together with my local gunsmith. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

That's why I put it out there. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the positive words.

-D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Savage 26" barrel

140 amax & 40gr h414: 2601 fps
140 amax & 42gr h414: 2776 fps
140 amax & 42.5gr h414: 2830 fps

Have a little heavy bolt lift with 42 & 42.5 but the brass and primers look good. Not real happy with any of my groups yet.

I was finally able to work on some loads for my 6.5 Creedmoor (Savage model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1, 24" barrel, 8 twist. I started with new brass, 142 SMKs, Fed 210 primers, and H4350 powder. I did an OCW test at 200 yds working up to 43 grains of H4350 with the bullet seated 0.020" off the lands. The sweet spot seemed to be at 41.7 gr, so I worked the seating depth from 0.010-0.040" off the lands. Today the 0.040" had the least vertical, so I'll be staying with that depth. Below are the details of the final load.

New Hornady brass
Fed 210 primers
142 Sierra MKs seated 0.040" off the lands (2.810" COAL)
41.7 gr H4350 powder
Groups - 3 shots = 0.583", 0.707", 0.669" @ 200 yds
Velocity = 2744 fps

Now I need to work on a load for the 130gr Berger.

Found a good load for my 6.5 with the 130 Bergers. I'm using 43.8 gr of H4350 and seating 0.040" off the lands for a COAL of 2.854". My 3 shot groups at 200 yds averaged 1.23" (0.59 MOA). I'm pretty happy with that because I'm not that good of a shooter, so the load is probably much better. I did have one group that was 0.71" (0.34 MOA). Also, my OCW load test of 1 rd at 43.5 gr, 1 rd at 43.8 gr, and 1 rd at 44.1 gr gave me a 200 yd group of 1.26" (0.60 MOA).

Happy, happy, happy with the 6.5 Creedmoor!

Savage 26" barrel

140 amax & 40gr h414: 2601 fps
140 amax & 42gr h414: 2776 fps
140 amax & 42.5gr h414: 2830 fps

Have a little heavy bolt lift with 42 & 42.5 but the brass and primers look good. Not real happy with any of my groups yet.

What was the temperature when trying your loads? I'm not familiar with H414 and am wondering if it's temp sensitive?

Thanks!

Pete

What was the temperature when trying your loads? I'm not familiar with H414 and am wondering if it's temp sensitive?

Thanks!

Pete

Temp was probably 85 degrees. I don't have much experience with it in different temps unfortunately. It's Houston Texas, and it's either warm or hot.

Shot a match at 2650' MSL this weekend and I figured the elevations would be a little less. I put in the numbers into Applied Ballistics and I got 7.7 for 1K. Figured that was about right as 1K is usually 8.0 at TVP which is about 950'. It was all good out to 705. At 820 and 1005 I was high. In fact I was almost a full mil high at 1K. At 7.1 I was still .2 mil above the center of the target, so 6.9 would have been the magic number. Personally, I wonder if the yardage was off. 6.9 would be 930 - 935 yards. 7.1 would be 950. I laid it out on Google Earth and I get about 960 - 975 for the yardage. Stuff that makes you go hmmm.

27.44" Hg uncorrected
70*F
45% RH
140 Berger 6.5 Hybrid
2810fps

705 was 4.4 mil and was perfect elevation.

Had a chance to to shoot at 1K with the electronic targets at Peacemaker yesterday. Expected elevation with the 140 Hybrids was 7.9 mil in the current conditions, but it ended up taking 8.1 mil. So, it looks like my barrel has slowed down a little more to 2790. Good news is the elevation in still pretty tight at 1K. The 5 shot strings were 47s on an F Class target. Shot some factory 140s too, they needed 8.3 mil with similar velocity. Lower BC makes a difference.

120 grain loads for the CM

Hello everyone,
New to the site but have had a blast looking at the info available here. I have some really good loads for the 140's for the CM but I am looking for some good loads for the 120's and 130's. I have available Re17, Re 19 and H4350. I would appreciate any info you would be willing to share. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,
New to the site but have had a blast looking at the info available here. I have some really good loads for the 140's for the CM but I am looking for some good loads for the 120's and 130's. I have available Re17, Re 19 and H4350. I would appreciate any info you would be willing to share. Thanks in advance.

130 bergers have lots of positive results with just about anything between 42 and 45 gr h4350.

Enjoy.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Dbow,

I also use the 130's with great success in my LRP-07. My charge weight is 42.3./Vel-2830. Very little pressure signs.

These work great to 1K.

TLR