• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel loads?

308skinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2006
    Indiana
    Anyone got any loads with the 123 AMAX and Varget or Benchmark?

Any data welcome and please give specs. Gas or bolt, barrel length ect.

Re: 6.5 Grendel loads?

Been shooting 28.0 gr AR-comp/123 scenars with good results. No pressure signs and gonna try to inch up a little. AA 123 scenars ammo shot the best. 24 in barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone got any loads with the 123 AMAX and Varget or Benchmark?

Any data welcome and please give specs. Gas or bolt, barrel length ect. </div></div>

I've started development with the new 123 grain Nosler CCs and Benchmark, and so far it's been promising. My gun is a MK12 Mod 0 clone in .264 LBC with an 18" barrel:
    DSC_0033.jpg

The scatter node is 27.2, and the vertical POI from the 27.5 to 28.1 charges looks good, so I'm going to keep looking there. When I find a suitable charge I'll tighten the groups up with the seating depth. Keep in mind that Hornady's <span style="text-decoration: underline">book max for Benchmark and 123s is 27.5</span> which they say is a compressed load. I've loaded the next iteration up to a full grain over max, and I'm still not close to compressing powder. I'm using once fired AA/Lapua brass and Fed 205M primers and loading to 1.750" (ogive)/2.250" OAL. No pressure signs. Temp was 37 degrees. Benchmark is in Hodgdon's Extreme Powder lineup, so I'm not too concerned with testing in the cold, but I'll still be careful to make sure there aren't any problems when summer comes back around.

I've had decent results from using IMR 8208 XBR with 123 grain AMAXs, with a 28.3 grain charge, but the velocity is lower than the Benchmark, coming in at 2,460 fps in average in fired cases. New cases get me almost 2,500 fps with a 28.5 grain charge, but don't seem to be as accurate. I got the bug to try Benchmark because I can't find any actual data on it; all the folks at 6.5G forums use XBR, AA2520, or TAC, and seldom deviate from it. I think it's just the ticket for the 123s, and I'm going to stay on it.

I'm running a 20" Liberty barrel from Saturn.

The AA 120 Nosler ballistic tips shoot better than anything else. A close second is the 123 SMK and Lapua Scenar. Using the same load for all of them.

Lapua brass
    CCI Primers
    AA2520 - 30.5 grains
    C.O.L. - 2.260"
    Velocity Approximately 2500fps
    Sub MOA groups.

You'll find some good load info and other Grendel specific info here .........

www.65grendel.com/forum

really like the 123 Amax 30.5 AA2520 comes out of my 24"satarn AR at 2600fps into .65 at 100yds.