• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 grendel rifle advice

optimus140

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
NW PA
I'm looking at getting a bolt action rifle in 6.5 grendel. The idea came to me when I was looking at a new AR upper in 6.5 grendel, I thought it would be fun to get a bolt action rifle in the same caliber. Now I like the idea so well, I want to get the bolt action rifle before the new upper. It checks a lot of boxes that have me excited about it, namely the mild recoil, relatively flat shooting at shorter distances, good for deer hunting, and the same caliber as the AR upper I was looking at putting together.

I'm hoping I can get something fairly accurate; I've only shot workhorse hunting bolt action rifles, and would like this new rifle to feel like an upgrade. I keep seeing the same three rifles for 6.5 grendel: howa 1500 mini action, CZ 527, and Ruger American Predator. Offhand, I'm leaning towards the howa 1500, but don't have a really strong opinion yet.

Does anyone have any experience with 6.5 grendel rifles they could share? I'm also wondering about the pros and cons of buying a complete rifle compared to getting something like the 1500 heavy barreled action from brownells and an aftermarket stock or chassis, like the bell and carlson m40 style stock and Oryx. I don't know much about chassis; my understanding (probably an oversimplification) is the chassis is a bit heavier, but more accurate. Since I'm looking for an all-purpose rifle, should I consider a chassis, or stick with a more traditional stock? Will spending more on a build vs a complete rifle make a huge difference in the feel and accuracy?

I bought the Howa 20" heavy barrel in the plastic stock, which has aluminum pillars but a plastic trigger guard. I got a DIP aluminum trigger guard because the action screws eventually squeezed through the plastic. I have an Oryx but prefer the plastic stock because it's lighter and a scope can mount low. Accuracy is the same with either stock. And that accuracy is excellent. The worst loads are 1 moa-ish and hand loads with Sierra 123 MK's are easily 1/2" at 100 yards and down to 1/4-5/16" with minimal work. I think the recoil is mild enough that the plastic stock is fine, although you may prefer the look and feel of a chassis.

Since the DIP bottom metal is $120-ish for the plastic stock you could subtract that from the cost of a chassis since you really need that DIP for the plastic stock. Check 65grendel.com if you haven't already.

Of your choices, Howa or CZ for sure. Better rifles. I prefer the CZ but that's mostly because I'm a Mauser/CRF fan. The howa minis work well.

Brownells has the barreled actions for Howa, add a stock to your liking and you are in business.

The HACT trigger is the best factory trigger I have felt. My Howa mini action isn't as smooth as a 6 cm barreled action I bought, but it is better than a Savage or Rem 700.

Haven't shot it yet, I am converting it to 6 BRA...

The CZ might be more refined, worth taking a look at. I like the idea of a mini action for the round, but you could build it on a lot of actions with a bolt head change and prefit.

I had a howa 6.5gr heavy barrel in a b&c stock.
Factory dbm and mag wouldn't feed but i have heard they have fixed that(b&c). plus there's a few companies offering bdl metal for under 179. and one of those companies even makes stocks for them.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/ has bdl and stocks.
that being said, id rather build off a full size like hereinaz mentio
IMG_0785.jpg
ned

I bought a Ruger American predator a while back, it was accurate with the factory barrel but I decided to rebarrel it with a 22” heavy palma from preferred barrels out of Utah shoots very accurate no problem getting out to 1k yards. Rifle is .5 moa capable with match factory ammo, I don’t reload so I could only imagine it would perform better with a developed load. I guess my only complaint about the Ruger action is the bolt having some play but I have never had feeding issues. Idk sometimes I think about maybe have gone the 6mm CM route instead.
CB5647CE-9453-4E56-AF0D-4B020245FB17.jpeg

Thanks all for the great feedback, I really appreciate it! Still leaning towards howa, but looks like I'll be sleeping on it a while since everything is pretty much sold out right now.

Reactions: FrozenMinnesotan
A barreled action from brownells, b&c stock and oregunsmithing bdl would be just under 900.

awesome, I'm out of the loop though. Is oregunsmithing a particular gunsmith, and what is bdl? Could I take it to any reputable gunsmith in my region and have them put it together and glass bed for me? Thanks!

Yes. Bdl is bottom metal. Instead of a mag u have a traditional internal mag with swing open floorplate. Holds about 4rds I think.
Howa_Btm_Metal_top_view.jpg

Is there a mechanical advantage with the fixed mag, or is this a personal preference thing? Thanks!

Edit: oh I see above, someone mentioned feed problems with the box mags. hmm
Potential feed problem. Apparently b&c fixed issue. Though the factory mags do suck

I also have a Howa Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel. Mine is in a chassis but I also have another Mini Action in a B&C M40 stock with DIP bottom metal. Both guns feed and function fine.

Reactions: FrozenMinnesotan
Put together my own Ruger Grendel in a Magpul stock. Chassis do simplify the magazine interface and generally are plug and play. Stocks may require bedding for best results...YMMV

here’s a link to past discussions

Put together my own Ruger Grendel in a Magpul stock. Chassis do simplify the magazine interface and generally are plug and play. Stocks may require bedding for best results...YMMV

here’s a link to past discussions

This is really interesting! If I'm a little mechanically inclined, could I install a chassis myself? I've changed stocks on two SKS rifles. Those are pressure bedded and very simple, though. I would really like to put together a 6.5 grendel build myself, but I got a bit scared off reading about the glass bedding process. Is a chassis really just a drop in fit? It sounds too good to be true, lol.

This is really interesting! If I'm a little mechanically inclined, could I install a chassis myself? I've changed stocks on two SKS rifles. Those are pressure bedded and very simple, though. I would really like to put together a 6.5 grendel build myself, but I got a bit scared off reading about the glass bedding process. Is a chassis really just a drop in fit? It sounds too good to be true, lol.

Yep, drop right in and torque. MDT LSS-XL or Oryx chassis and MDT 12rd 6BR magazine is likely the solution that fits your query. Current market conditions have Ruger hundreds of thousands of units behind in production, so sourcing. Grendel Ruger Predator maybe a challenge.