• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel v .300 Blackout

The previous 4 pages are mostly novelty bullshit and don't answer the OPs really fucked up, misdirected, all thrust no vector question.

If you want a good 300m gun, with better than 7.62x39 ballistics, and the ability to run subsonic ammo (semi or bolt...bolt fan here), and hear hammer/target noises and nothing in between, then the BO is your girl.

EVERYTHING ELSE...Grendel

I believe in K.I.S.S.

Reactions: Docsherm
im not bothering to read all the posts. 6.5 grendel all the way . unless you are going all fucking socom suppressed in cqb

Does anyone know where you can get a less than 10 inch grendel barrel?

I know where you can get an 11.5" barrel. haha

Sounds like you'll need to buy a blank and have a gunsmith do some custom work. You could call Mark at Precision Firearms. He might be able to take the left over of one of his 6.5mm bull blanks and build you one.

The previous 4 pages are mostly novelty bullshit and don't answer the OPs really fucked up, misdirected, all thrust no vector question.

If you want a good 300m gun, with better than 7.62x39 ballistics, and the ability to run subsonic ammo (semi or bolt...bolt fan here), and hear hammer/target noises and nothing in between, then the BO is your girl.

I believe in K.I.S.S.

Wow another internet Hero that thinks you can have a jack of all trades 1000yd moose killing Grendel SBR...

Maybe we can get this puppy to 10 pages.

Reactions: Constructor
Grendel I have one and of the 12 or so Ar 15 and Ar 10 Platforms I own it is my hands down favorite five shots with 24 inch grendel 200 yards

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 57
Grendel I have one and of the 12 or so Ar 15 and Ar 10 Platforms I own it is my hands down favorite five shots with 24 inch grendel 200 yards

Are you sure it wasn't 600 yards? Could be a world record and shit. Why anyone would haul around a 24" AR15 is way beyond the basic fundamentals of logical thought IMO. But hell, to each his own. Good shooting there Gunny...

Different strokes for different folks. Let's all get along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's all get along.

No! I'd much rather nit pick your spelling & grammar, or modify your statements to a context in which they're less correct so that I can drive my personal agenda. Needless to say, there will be unwarranted personal attacks.

;)

I believe in K.I.S.S.
This is an old post, but I just got interested in the 6.5 Grendel here of late. I own two 300 Blks, 16 inch rifle and 10.5 inch pistol. Love shooting them both. The Grendel is a
said to give close to 308 performance in an AR-15 size platform; that impresses me. I also own an AR-10, but it is set up like the M-110 and isn't something I'd want to walk a mile through the woods with. Thinking I'd change the barrel, bolt and get Grendel mags for one of the AR-15's I already own. Don't plan on shooting anything past 100 yards, so maybe the Grendel is just a wish list item for a gun-nut.

This is an old post, but I just got interested in the 6.5 Grendel here of late. I own two 300 Blks, 16 inch rifle and 10.5 inch pistol. Love shooting them both. The Grendel is a
said to give close to 308 performance in an AR-15 size platform; that impresses me. I also own an AR-10, but it is set up like the M-110 and isn't something I'd want to walk a mile through the woods with. Thinking I'd change the barrel, bolt and get Grendel mags for one of the AR-15's I already own. Don't plan on shooting anything past 100 yards, so maybe the Grendel is just a wish list item for a gun-nut.
How close does it have to be to be called "close"?...not very

I love my Grendel, but the preformance of mine is not in the same ballpark as my 308 guns

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
6.5g and 300blk have both in ar uppers.
6.5g is 20inches and 300blk is 10.5 inches.
2 different setups, with the chosen barrel lengths there is no comparison to be made.

Get both they are both usefull and fun.

My shooting partner shoots both in short barrels. Meh.

I have no aspirations about any application requiring suppression.

My choice is made; 6.5 Grendel in an environment that involves augmenting the capability of the AR-15 out to about 400yd. Two Uppers 20" and 24".

Greg

Reactions: Snuby642
I like Grendel over Blackout but it's kinda apples and oranges. 6.5G is a great mid length barrel AR hunting and precision oriented round. I do not know if 6.5G subs cycle reliably in an AR-15 since it's largely unexplored market-wise at this point, but if not tally one for the Blackout. The 300 is definitely better for subs in any case, not that it's perfect for that as far as terminal ballistics but it cycles out of a much shorter barrel while still getting full powder burn. Great for night hunting in and out of vehicles, home defense, and goofing off in the backyard. I think 6.5G is more useful overall, with 6.8 splitting the difference.

300 Blackout is a very niche round, whereas 6.5G is kinda a jack of all trades.

All I'm saying about Blackout's terminal ballistics is that it has a smaller ideal expansion range/velocity than other 30's and the 6.#s. It's a "slow" 30, but that's perfectly acceptable given the cartridge and utility considerations. You can even get 30 subs to expand just fine as well, but that range/velocity is pretty tight. For what it is nothing else does it better, but the 6.5G defintely takes the tally for expansion over a longer range simply because it flies better and has like 250 fps over the Blackout. As far as the lethality of the expansion and wound/terminal ballistics, I suppose that's a vast and mostly different topic— and I might have overstated my opinion on it by broadly saying terminal ballistics before, and not specifically bullet expansion. I'm mostly just busting chops because when AAC hyped the Blackout for suppression and subs people were hard pressed to find even supers which would expand reliably, but I know such hasn't been the case for a long time since due to bullet availability. Kinda like the Grendel's bolt breaking problems, which have supposedly been remedied. Teething issues of the rounds more than shortcomings, in reality.

OP is too vague of a question to be answered properly(i am ignoring the shit shot of the last few pages). Both are fantastic cartridges that can be pushed well outside off their intended role, but in my opinion the 6.5 Grendel does more things "I" want. Your mileage may vary.

The 300 blackout is a fantastic Subsonic round. Since it uses rifle bullets with high B.Cs it has a far superior range to any subsonic pistol cartridges. Can you push it to great distances? Sure you can! Is it the ideal cartridge to do so, hell no! But sometimes that is the fun of it! Look at all the Creedmore matches with 45-70, that is fun!

The 6.5 Grendel is more of a long range cartridge that was designed around the length limitation of the AR15 magazines. It has fantastic brass life, 25+ reloads with Lapua brass out of the AR15. Even more so if you have a bolt gun and only neck size. It makes a fantastic hunting cartridge with very low recoil. There are subsonic loads for the Grendel, but you have to reload for it. They use the 160gr bullets. Which don't have the BC of the heavy 220+gr bullets that the 300blackout can use.

When i built my first AR, i was just starting college so i didnt hvae a bunch of cash to be able to build multiple AR's. So i built one in 6.5 Grendel as i felt it gave a good mixture of all the things i wanted. Long range shooting, hunting, Home defense(not the most ideal since it had an 18 inch barrel, but it wasn't bad for me), etc.

I will comment on this. The whole bolt breaking issues for the 6.5 Grendel was dumb. I only came about became AA was in the middle of trying to get the round SAMMI speced and people didnt want to wait. So they came up with similar chambers but didn't use the proper bolt. So that did give the Grendel a bad rep in the beginning.

OP is too vague of a question to be answered properly(i am ignoring the shit shot of the last few pages). Both are fantastic cartridges that can be pushed well outside off their intended role, but in my opinion the 6.5 Grendel does more things "I" want. Your mileage may vary.

The 300 blackout is a fantastic Subsonic round. Since it uses rifle bullets with high B.Cs it has a far superior range to any subsonic pistol cartridges. Can you push it to great distances? Sure you can! Is it the ideal cartridge to do so, hell no! But sometimes that is the fun of it! Look at all the Creedmore matches with 45-70, that is fun!

The 6.5 Grendel is more of a long range cartridge that was designed around the length limitation of the AR15 magazines. It has fantastic brass life, 25+ reloads with Lapua brass out of the AR15. Even more so if you have a bolt gun and only neck size. It makes a fantastic hunting cartridge with very low recoil. There are subsonic loads for the Grendel, but you have to reload for it. They use the 160gr bullets. Which don't have the BC of the heavy 220+gr bullets that the 300blackout can use.

When i built my first AR, i was just starting college so i didnt hvae a bunch of cash to be able to build multiple AR's. So i built one in 6.5 Grendel as i felt it gave a good mixture of all the things i wanted. Long range shooting, hunting, Home defense(not the most ideal since it had an 18 inch barrel, but it wasn't bad for me), etc.

I will comment on this. The whole bolt breaking issues for the 6.5 Grendel was dumb. I only came about became AA was in the middle of trying to get the round SAMMI speced and people didnt want to wait. So they came up with similar chambers but didn't use the proper bolt. So that did give the Grendel a bad rep in the beginning.
Actually if you go to the grendel forum and read someone new breaks one every few months...even now.

Reactions: Stooxie
6.8 is better if you want longer range and want to deal with special bolts, mags and finding ammo.

300 is better if you want pretty good range and you can use factory subsonics. And you don't need a special bolt or mag. And ammo is well supported by manufacturers and available everywhere

6.8 is better if you want longer range and want to deal with special bolts, mags and finding ammo.

300 is better if you want pretty good range and you can use factory subsonics. And you don't need a special bolt or mag. And ammo is well supported by manufacturers and available everywhere

Obviously you have never been hunting with guys using 6.8s. Anyone stand side by side with a 5.56 or 300 and see who drops the most hogs DRT.

Recently been delving into a short hog killing setup. Have an 8.3" 300blk that i thought i might sell and put a 10.5" upper on it for more rail space. But the more i looked at a 12.5" grendel the more it makes sense and that's likely the route i'm going to go. A 129gr SST at 2300fps out of a 12.5" AR15 at 27 cents a bullet is performance that is just impossible to argue with IMHO. For my intended purpose it makes the most sense in the AR15 platform, the other option being just stepping up to 308.

300blk is a hell of a pdw/SBR platform there is no denying that you're basically getting 7.62x39 ballistics in an 8" package. More than applicable for killing pigs but i think i'd want something a little more forgiving with less drop after 200yds or so. FWIW i'm running 110gr vmax at 2050fps out of my 300blk.

Someone with subs and head shots would get more kills in some of those scenes.
So you're making head shots on running hogs? Or do you mean with a 300 BO the only way you can get a DRT is a head shot?
I'm another that would choose a Grendel over a 300 by a long shot. I'd take a 12" Grendel over a 18" BO

So you're making head shots on running hogs? Or do you mean with a 300 BO the only way you can get a DRT is a head shot?
I'm another that would choose a Grendel over a 300 by a long shot. I'd take a 12" Grendel over a 18" BO
I think they might not spook right away and you could get more of them

Lol, Deersniper's right in his justification. I've heard hogs spook easily, but in general subs and darkness give you a much larger window to take shots on still game without triggering the group.

Reactions: deersniper
You're retarted
12.5" Grendel 123s @2330
16" Blackout 110s @2400

Bigger hole more faster more better

And that's probably reloading for the 6.5 short and weak. Everyone likes to compare their wonder cartridge with hot reloads to mild accurate factory ammo for the competitor

Once you get into reloads with 6.5G you can push it a little bit more to where it's leaving 300AAC in the dust given identical barrel length comparisons. You'll never get a Grendel to perform in a short barrel platform with subs like 300AAC in any case. 300AAC is a very niche round, but one that's really good at its job. 6.5G was designed with completely different priorities outside of the fact they are for AR-15.

Reactions: deersniper
6.5G is probably my favorite round for a do it all.... If i had to have 1 rifle, it would be an AR grendel 16", SD, hunting... shooting at 800 yards for fun.. it can do it all.

But, I have a 18" currently waiting to be finished. I would like another 12" grendel. It did very well out to 400 yards.

There's fanatics, there's looney lefties and then there's Grendel fanatics. The former have NOTHING on the latter.

Take away long distance shooting and Wolf's garbage ammo and 6.5G is just like any other cartridge, and just as expensive to shoot. Now that everyone is a 1000 yard sniper suddenly we need a do-all cartridge in do-all rifles that can handle anything from house clearing to moose clearing. GMAFB. After all, you might need your short barreled truck gun to take out that muley that you just happened to notice on the other side of the canyon on your way home from getting milk at the gas station.

Who here has ONE gun? No one. We have lots of calibers because we like them to be superlative for their given roles. Some good advice has been given above in distinguishing 300BO from 6.5G. But the fanatics roll on!

-Stooxie

There's fanatics, there's looney lefties and then there's Grendel fanatics. The former have NOTHING on the latter.

Take away long distance shooting and Wolf's garbage ammo and 6.5G is just like any other cartridge, and just as expensive to shoot. Now that everyone is a 1000 yard sniper suddenly we need a do-all cartridge in do-all rifles that can handle anything from house clearing to moose clearing. GMAFB. After all, you might need your short barreled truck gun to take out that muley that you just happened to notice on the other side of the canyon on your way home from getting milk at the gas station.

Who here has ONE gun? No one. We have lots of calibers because we like them to be superlative for their given roles. Some good advice has been given above in distinguishing 300BO from 6.5G. But the fanatics roll on!

-Stooxie

Laughing at some this because it's true but the round is extremely efficient solely due to the nature of the high BC 6.5 projectiles. It's not the end all be all but certainly covers a lot of corners in the AR15 platform. From a reloading standpoint for my intended use (SBR/Pistol suppressed for hogs) i'm not sure i can see anything remotely close. 38 cents per piece of brass new from hornady right now, 27-30 cents per 123gr SST, primers and powders obviously an understood expense. It makes a lot of sense for a night rig for anything under 400yds. Mainly talking about 100-300yds.

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
talking about 100-300yds.

Then 6.8 SPC is your cartridge for about a dozen different reasons. Not going to even get into it here, the Grendel fanatics will smell the blood in the water and start posting page after page of 500 yard to 1500 yard software stats despite you saying 100 to 300 yards.

-Stooxie

Reactions: Constructor
Then 6.8 SPC is your cartridge for about a dozen different reasons. Not going to even get into it here, the Grendel fanatics will smell the blood in the water and start posting page after page of 500 yard to 1500 yard software stats despite you saying 100 to 300 yards.

-Stooxie
1550 yards*

:D

-Stooxie

says the insane 6.8 fanatic...