• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Hornady American Gunner

I actually use this ammo to “break in” my barrels. Its cheap, 1/2 moa and decent speeds. I was getting 2740 from a 24” proof barrel and suppressor. SD is tad high (14) but shot well at 600, 800, and 1000 yards

Its much better than the examples you have given. By far. I can keep them centered up on a 12” plate at 900 yards out of my rifle. May not match up well with yours is all.
No doubt, your mileage may vary. I'm not a 900 yard shooter and my game isn't PRS-style matches. It's great you're having good luck with it. :)

Reactions: wade2big
Chrono-ed it and it came in on my 26inch barreled bolt gun at 2760 FPS with a SD of 9.

Took it out to 1000 yards, 5/5 hits on half-ipsc steel with no issues. Just picked up another case of 200 cause I couldn't stop shooting it today...

Last edited:
Chrono-ed it and it came in at my 26inch barreled bolt gun at 2760 FPS with a SD of 9.

Took it out to 1000 yards, 5/5 hits on half-ipsc steel with no issues. Just picked up another case of 200 cause I couldn't stop shooting it today...
See there. Lots of guys talking out there ass. Told ya. ?

Hit the range this morning and shot some groups.

Shot two strings of 10 in each. First string was when temps were in the 60’s and the second string it was in the high 70’s.

Rifle is a 26” GA Precision. 3 round groups were consistently 1/2 MOA and the 5 shot groups were under 3/4 MOA. For the cost of this ammo that’s more than good enough for me.

1st:
Average: 2751
SD: 13

2nd:
Average: 2765
SD: 14

Gonna give some of it a go. 400 rounds for 290 to my door is too cheap to pass up. Hope it works decent and i can get a good bed of brass to reload from. Ill try a match with it if it works, just to be a cheap bastard.

These groups are form this morning. The AG 140gr continues to perform well!

Out of 8 separate 5 shot groups the best was .69” and the worst was 1.13” at 103 yards. The rest were right at 3/4” and that’s about normal for 5 shot groups. 3 round groups are generally within 1/2” but I can’t stay consistent enough to replicate that with 5 round groups.

Buy with confidence!

Attachments

• CD41D500-FAE6-4757-895A-66A33BD33A2A.png
    CD41D500-FAE6-4757-895A-66A33BD33A2A.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
  • C5AE4B95-B44E-4478-A2B0-3AE63A68B8A6.png
    C5AE4B95-B44E-4478-A2B0-3AE63A68B8A6.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
  • EC7AC785-5440-4AE6-A096-438CE11D3965.png
    EC7AC785-5440-4AE6-A096-438CE11D3965.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: strat81
Anyone use it in short barrels? 16-18?
Yes. My Ruger Predator is 16.75". It performs similarly to my 20" Tikka CTR. Average 5 shot is around an inch at 100 yards.

I've pondered if sorting by cartridge weight would make a noticeable difference. I'd say my excuse is that I'm "too busy" to do it, but really, I'm just lazy. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Jgunner
Anyone know if the brass used for this is the same as the brass for the "Match ELD" ammo? growing quite a collection so I need to start loading it soon...

Agreed. Those SD's are less than half of what I'm seeing. He must have a magic barrel.
I wasn’t picking on him. If you read my other posts I could care less what a chrono says. I have shot a few thousand of the american gunner and it performs great. I must get low SD out of all my 6.5 rifles because i can pick up any one of them and lay them all on a 12” plate at 900 easily (once I correct for wind. Lol). I let the targets tell me what works. The targets are a long way past the chrono.

Anyone use it in short barrels? 16-18?

I’ve used from an 18” proof barrel. Groups well enough, however only get 2469fps out of it. Ok BC doesn’t get out that far.

I’m better off with 130’s with a hotter load. My Norma stuff gets me out to a 1000m with an 18” barrel which I’m more than happy about.

AG for me is used for plinking & breaking in barrels. Trouble is that in the UK it’s not nice & cheap like you guys pick it up for!

Reactions: Jgunner
I’ve used from an 18” proof barrel. Groups well enough, however only get 2469fps out of it. Ok BC doesn’t get out that far.

I’m better off with 130’s with a hotter load. My Norma stuff gets me out to a 1000m with an 18” barrel which I’m more than happy about.

AG for me is used for plinking & breaking in barrels. Trouble is that in the UK it’s not nice & cheap like you guys pick it up for!

Thanks for the info.

I will prob buy or build ammo for long range stuff and hunting, but 99% of my shots are under 900 yards, so even if its slow, it will make me a better wind caller. In theory.

Tired some 900/1200/1550 yard targets. When it goes transonic (less then 1300fps) there's a steep drop off on performance. Really had issues hitting 1550 2/3 ipsc constantly but ran the 900 yard just fine.

Gonna load up the brass with 147 ELD-M however so that will be fun.

Shot 50 rounds this weekend. SD was 26.16 and ES was 106 (2686 to 2792; 2740 fps was the average).

Environment: about 5,000 ft. elevation, 45% humidity, and 65 degrees.

Last edited:
Shot 50 rounds this weekend. SD was 26.16 and ES was 106 (2686 to 2792; 2740 fps was the average).

Environment: about 5,000 ft. elevation, 45% humidity, and 65 degrees.
I am guessing a 26” barrel. Those numbers on the chrono suck through your rifle. Did you shoot anything at distance to verify anything. If you did and seen bad results then your rifle is a no go with that load. If not then those numbers mean nothing.

I am guessing a 26” barrel. Those numbers on the chrono suck through your rifle. Did you shoot anything at distance to verify anything. If you did and seen bad results then your rifle is a no go with that load. If not then those numbers mean nothing.
Yes, it was a 26" barrel, 1:8.

Brand new rifle, so I was seasoning the barrel, and sighting in the scope.

At 100 yards, all groups were less than one inch. Had multiple five shot groups with four-out-of-five rounds touching.

The chrono numbers mean something to me--now I can enter the actual results into a ballastics program so I can get on target at longer distances.

I use it through new barrels for break in. It’s grouped .75 at 100 and had no problems out to 500-600. Wasn’t near as consistent at 900-1000 as my hand loads but for 650-700 and in, I’d use it

Reactions: Scavokistan
Yes, it was a 26" barrel, 1:8.

Brand new rifle, so I was seasoning the barrel, and sighting in the scope.

At 100 yards, all groups were less than one inch. Had multiple five shot groups with four-out-of-five rounds touching.

The chrono numbers mean something to me--now I can enter the actual results into a ballastics program so I can get on target at longer distances.
You can do the same without a chrono.

My point is that chrono results without shooting at distant targets do not mean much. When you get some lead on target with your rifle and the american gunner post your results with that. I would be interested to hear your results good or bad. That would be good information for everyone.

I understand some guys are interested in chronograph numbers, i just am not one of them.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
All my factory tikkas shoot slow, but accurate as hell. Must be a tighter bore.
Velocity is just a number. I doubt you would see 200 FPS with the same barrel length. My bartlein and MPA spencer barrel show about 75 FPS increase with Hornady ammunition. That little bit doesn’t matter anyhow. A few extra clicks on the elevation turret is it. Fast or slow, once you have your dope, hit probability is about the same.

Velocity is just a number. I doubt you would see 200 FPS with the same barrel length. My bartlein and MPA spencer barrel show about 75 FPS increase with Hornady ammunition. That little bit doesn’t matter anyhow. A few extra clicks on the elevation turret is it. Fast or slow, once you have your dope, hit probability is about the same.
Yeah, until you’re out of clicks and reticle. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: wade2big
Lol. My thoughts are that if you are at the ragged edge of the cartridge, move to a larger chambering.
Eh, guys like to shoot far with a cartridge not designed for it. Ive tKen my gasser 6.5x47 to 1208 yards but without any moa on the base, i was out of all elevation. It was a slow load though.

Personally, im a practical shooter. At what distance would i shoot a coyote or wild pig(both pests) and what distances do i prs(also practical), so i keep my equipment revolving around those distances. 1200 yards seems to be that distance or under for me.

This ammo is ok out at some distances, but prefer a lil more accuracy and energy at anything more than 800 yards. Its not terribly accurate, but its good enough for training, banging steel and attempting to not come in last at a match. Heh.

My custom tikka build i could almost, ALMOST always group 1/2” but damn it would it almost always have one flier with a very different velocity. Luckily my hand loads my buddy makes for me has none of those issues. I still use this ammo to this day for warm up.

Reactions: deersniper
My custom tikka build i could almost, ALMOST always group 1/2” but damn it would it almost always have one flier with a very different velocity. Luckily my hand loads my buddy makes for me has none of those issues. I still use this ammo to this day for warm up.

Are you talking 100 yard groups? 5 rounds (because 3 inst a group)? To be honest that sounds more of a "You" problem than an ammo / velocity problem. How much is that "flyer" being thrown? Might just be in your head.

Reactions: deersniper
Are you talking 100 yard groups? 5 rounds (because 3 inst a group)? To be honest that sounds more of a "You" problem than an ammo / velocity problem. How much is that "flyer" being thrown? Might just be in your head.
Yeah, 100 yards, 5 rounds. Velocity doesn’t lie. Could still partially be me, but a 50 fps jump is going to mess with a group.

I take the 140gr American Gunner ammunition to 900 yards and have absolutely no issues laying them well inside a 12” plate. When I miss it is usually left or right due to the wind. I do this with factory Tikka CTRs, a tikka with a pva barrel, and a custom rig with a mpa barrel. I haven’t experienced inconsistencies using this ammo in a wide variety of barrels. I don’t chrono though. I let the plates tell me what I need to know. It is realistic to assume that it shoots like crap in some rifles though

Chances are if you are missing its you. Of course not all ammunition works well in every gun so there is that with the only exception of 175gr FGMM. That stuff shoots in everything.

I take the 140gr American Gunner ammunition to 900 yards and have absolutely no issues laying them well inside a 12” plate. When I miss it is usually left or right due to the wind. I do this with factory Tikka CTRs, a tikka with a pva barrel, and a custom rig with a mpa barrel. I haven’t experienced inconsistencies using this ammo in a wide variety of barrels. I don’t chrono though. I let the plates tell me what I need to know. It is realistic to assume that it shoots like crap in some rifles though

Chances are if you are missing its you. Of course not all ammunition works well in every gun so there is that with the only exception of 175gr FGMM. That stuff shoots in everything.
Its not that far outta whack, but a 1/4-1/2 flier gets annoying. Turns a great group into moa. Not horrible, especially for the price. I bought it for the brass/break in and for practice. I have noticed my latest lot shoots better than my previous. I am thinking about measuring them out and checking powder charges. But its just not that important to me.

Its not that far outta whack, but a 1/4-1/2 flier gets annoying. Turns a great group into moa. Not horrible, especially for the price. I bought it for the brass/break in and for practice. I have noticed my latest lot shoots better than my previous. I am thinking about measuring them out and checking powder charges. But its just not that important to me.
I have been shooting the stuff for a couple years and have never had to make an elevation correction between lots. FGMM is the same as far as lot to lot consistency. Breaking the load down wouldn't make a bit of difference Either the rifle shoots them or it doesn't. You may have a barrel that doesn't appreciate the most economical option today for centerfire rifles. ;) Sure glad mine love em.

Shoots well in my rifle, just slower than eldm's. Bought 4 boxes when i found it on sale for $115/box, great for practice.

I’ve had it out to 1000 with out issue. The ES results in some vertical spread, but I can hit a 100% ipsc with no problem. For the money you can’t beat it.