• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC Issues

DC7B3987-5A50-40E1-A44E-B390650635B0.jpeg
6.5 PRC 147

• Love
Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
That looks more like it.

If it makes you feel better, I ran 147 gn ELD-M over my MSV3 a couple weeks ago and was thrilled to see 2585 fps out of my 6.5 CM...that's a good 50 fps faster than the first time I chrono'd it. The 140 grain stuff got as fast as 2630 fps... That's a 22 inch tube from Broughton, 1:8, 2.140 BFTL. and .199 FB. I'd steal candy from babies to be within 50 fps of the published 6.5 CM data...

GOOD to know!!

I know that is the primary place that get the heat!

Did it affect or change the feet per second ig your rounds?

The accuracy of my gun is still absolutely spot on one bullet through previous hole etc. I just have to use the slower data for ballistics and all is good. But it effectively has turned by 6.5 PRC into a standard 6.5 Creedmore. That's a Great Rifle! But not what I bought. I'm looking forward to getting my first batch of reloads done and see what they actually run!

Still no issues! Flatline 123
036B203D-51E1-41D0-919A-1F91A5E0A59C.jpeg
8A925864-52A6-4AFC-AB1D-94895730FE25.jpeg

Factory 147 was running at 3060 from a 28 inch 1-7 after 180 rounds. Only used factory for barrel break in 0-100 than tested a partial box at 180 rounds. Factory ammo produced 3/8 groups during break in.

Actually just had about 25 passes with the JB stuff this morning. And those pictures were after that!

Depending on your accuracy requirement...think of this.

Most shooters shooting F Class with a 6.5x284 which is pretty much the same case capacity of the 6.5PRC are pulling the barrels around 800ish rounds. Some guys will get 1000-1200 but that is pretty much it.

You lost velocity and the accuracy is still there but like I said I think your on borrowed time.

Reactions: BCX
Someday I'll figure out a cartridge/bullet combination that shoots at a high enough velocity to take advantage of current, high bc, heavy for caliber bullets, can shoot 8-10 rds in succession without smoking the throat , doesn't beat me up so I can spot impacts and doesn't burn up a barrel in less than 2000 rds.

Yes I want a free lunch lol

Depending on your accuracy requirement...think of this.

Most shooters shooting F Class with a 6.5x284 which is pretty much the same case capacity of the 6.5PRC are pulling the barrels around 800ish rounds. Some guys will get 1000-1200 but that is pretty much it.

You lost velocity and the accuracy is still there but like I said I think your on borrowed time.
That's true!

Unfortunate… But that's the fact

Someday I'll figure out a cartridge/bullet combination that shoots at a high enough velocity to take advantage of current, high bc, heavy for caliber bullets, can shoot 8-10 rds in succession without smoking the throat , doesn't beat me up so I can spot impacts and doesn't burn up a barrel in less than 2000 rds.

308 win w Flatlines on a med length action?

308 win w Flatlines on a med length action?
[/QUOTE

Actually a straight 284 Win on my medium action set up to run the new 190 Berger at around 2800 fps might be worth a look.

Or just hang w your buddy, i know a guy w a Sherman 7 MAX reamer :p

Reactions: nick338

62485274-C334-4909-BF9B-D2B023FB7FBF.jpeg

284 with 180’s would also be awesome.
When initially firing my 7 saum with 180’s at 2800 fps performance was really impressive.

Depending on the powder/load in a straight 284win some guys are getting 2k rounds out of the barrels. If a non magnum round for a F open gun that’s what I run.

That's great to hear. After crunching some numbers though, it looks like I'll need a long action to get the most out of that case with the long 190 Berger.

800 is still awfyully early unless it was a crap barrel to begin with.

Not really, it depends on how hot the loads are and how many rds are fired before letting the barrel cool down. Under the right circumstances this is very common on larger capacity 6.5's.

800 is still awfyully early unless it was a crap barrel to begin with.

26 Nosler (yes more case capacity than a 6.5prc) the ammo makers are throwing test barrels out under 500 rounds. The last one I have pictures of only got 449 thru it. Guys shooting 6.5WSM type rounds in F class are only getting right around 550 rounds.

Double based powders burn the barrels faster.
Longer/heavier bullets will wear the barrels faster as well.
Rate of fire and how hot you get the barrel is another factor. A guy running a F class rifle or a PRS gun is going to be harder on the barrel than a guy just using it for a hunting rifle per say.
How the barrel is made is another factor. Cut rifled barrels usually last longer. Not just me saying that either but actual data and feedback I get from ammo/bullet makers.

Speed kills and we all want faster....but there is a trade off and that is barrel life.

Again comparing 6.5x284 and 6.5PRC being similar in case capacity I’m saying 800ish rounds. 1k tops.

Again depends on your accuracy requirement. A guy needing say .5moa vs a guy needing 1moa requirement will have a big impact on what your comfortable with.

Last edited:
^^^Point.

OP states nothing but factory, and factory is typically on the medium side. I had my own run of factory that had some heavy bolt lift (total of 10 rounds out of the same lot - 5 boxes) Nothing outrageous in the POI from normal bolt lift at 400 - 700y. But is the OP is running 10 to 15 rounds as fast as he can get target acquisition, and little cool down time on a medium profile barrel...then I agree completely.

All I run is reloads with RL26 and Hornady's special 147 ELD with airburst technology, and keep my strings of fire to 6 over a 3 minute period, then let the barrel cool to 90* or so. MPA was nice enough to put a thermometer on the barrel.

Other PRC users that have run load development have gone a couple grains over max on the Hornady load guide and have had no pressure signs. I have a speed limit at the one match that I shoot so I stopped at the 54.14 node that kept me at sub .5 at 700.

I wanted to hear from other owners of 6.5 PRC's. Shooting Hornady factory ammo, do you have ejector swipes?

On my 6.5 prc I have been fighting it for about a year. I sent the barreled action back to the place that made the barrel, so they could inspect it. I am getting ejector swipes bad enough that the brass is flowing into the hole and jamming up the ejector, thus won't eject the cartridges. The primer is slightly flattening but not cratering.

The barrel, headspace, action etc... all check out fine, but it still gets ejector swipes. I always hear Hornady typically loads hot and has soft brass, do you think this is my issue? I am shooting Hornady 147eld Match factory ammo, has anyone else had this issue with factory ammo?
Did you find a solution or answer to your problem? I’m having the exact same issue with a new Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC and Hornady Match 147 ELDM’s. What really bothers me is I can’t get a good portion of the brass to resize and chamber in the rifle.
I was able to 12 of first box and looks like maybe 18 of second box.
The 12 that I successfully reloaded shot well considering they were the first in load development. I’d appreciate knowing how it turned out for you.

^^^Point.

OP states nothing but factory, and factory is typically on the medium side. I had my own run of factory that had some heavy bolt lift (total of 10 rounds out of the same lot - 5 boxes) Nothing outrageous in the POI from normal bolt lift at 400 - 700y. But is the OP is running 10 to 15 rounds as fast as he can get target acquisition, and little cool down time on a medium profile barrel...then I agree completely.

All I run is reloads with RL26 and Hornady's special 147 ELD with airburst technology, and keep my strings of fire to 6 over a 3 minute period, then let the barrel cool to 90* or so. MPA was nice enough to put a thermometer on the barrel.

Other PRC users that have run load development have gone a couple grains over max on the Hornady load guide and have had no pressure signs. I have a speed limit at the one match that I shoot so I stopped at the 54.14 node that kept me at sub .5 at 700.
Miss that RL-26 w air burst technology 😂😂😂. 6.5, 7mm and 338 seem to be the only bullets available in the last 6 months. Been thinking about another 6.5 PRC as a light caliber barrel burner.

Reactions: Sticks
Did you find a solution or answer to your problem? I’m having the exact same issue with a new Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC and Hornady Match 147 ELDM’s. What really bothers me is I can’t get a good portion of the brass to resize and chamber in the rifle.
I was able to 12 of first box and looks like maybe 18 of second box.
The 12 that I successfully reloaded shot well considering they were the first in load development. I’d appreciate knowing how it turned out for you.

What do you mean you "Can't Chamber?"

How far are you bumping the shoulder?

Are you Full Length sizing?

Have you taken measurements of the cases that chamber against the one's that don't (OAL, Head, Web, Body, Neck, Shoulder)

Have you bore scoped your chamber and throat?

Miss that RL-26 w air burst technology 😂😂😂. 6.5, 7mm and 338 seem to be the only bullets available in the last 6 months. Been thinking about another 6.5 PRC as a light caliber barrel burner.
Yeah, Nothing like an easy course of fire from 250 to 600 and ideal splash conditions with no wind and get "Impact! "Impact!" "Impact!" "No Call!" "Impact!" "Impact". I found out about the recall too late and the box (bulk) was long time thrown out. So I just deal with the lost points.

I got lucky and finally snagged a bulk 2k box of 147s at a touch more than I wanted to pay couple weeks ago - I was out. Also have some 153 Atips that I still need to do development on. Was going to try to get my 130 eld set up for the PRC since I am not going to run them in my Grendels, but now that can wait.

I really need to find some brass. Quite happy with Hornady, I am on my 6th or 7th reload now. Just not willing to pay $2 a unit for once fired, or $3 for new when they do show up.

Time to order a barrel, and send my old one in to either get a few inches cut off the chamber end and re-cut for either Grendel or a PRC again. If I go Grendel, I need to buy another bolt in 224 Valkyrie and get it bored for Grendel.