• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC or 7 saum/SS/MAX

It's not factory... it's better than factory! I'm having McCourt (@FCS ) load my 7 SAUM and have been really happy.

thanks!!?

What would you do?
I'm debating building another rifle since I have a warranty barrel coming my way or just getting a 28" back up barrel for the 6.5 PRC.
I currently run a 6.5 PRC with a 27" K&P shooting 156 bergers very well at 2985 fps.
My goal if i build another rifle would be a budget elr build with decent barrel life. As of now I dont plan to get much past 2000 yards.
I'm leaning towards a 7 Max or 7 SS and running 185 rdfs and or 195 bergers. Ballistics out to a mile are extremely close between the 156 in prc and the 195 at 2900 fps. Do you think it's worth the money for the 7? Am I going to see alot more splash with the extra 39 grains or any other big gains by going with the 7? The 7 barrel would be a 8 twist 28"
I'd appreciate any input thanks!
7MM SAUM shooting the 180 Berger's is a tough combo to beat.

I am also burning into a short fat 7mm. Seems like the 7 saum is getting plenty of love. This is destined for a new build, so I can run any action. Looking for mag fed, 7 mm 180-195 in the 2900+ range with a 26" barrel. I will likely run a 28+ plus steel barrel for target work, anda 26" carbon to hunt with.
Really like the grown up version of a 6br.

I am also burning into a short fat 7mm. Seems like the 7 saum is getting plenty of love. This is destined for a new build, so I can run any action. Looking for mag fed, 7 mm 180-195 in the 2900+ range with a 26" barrel. I will likely run a 28+ plus steel barrel for target work, anda 26" carbon to hunt with.

One thing to be aware of, it is not recommended that you shoot heavier than 180 with a short action magazine, even the AW style with 2.960 or so. The heavier bullets are seated too far into the case below the shoulder which has been known to cause accuracy issues. For this reason, many F Class shooters who prefer to shoot the heavies will have the barrel chambered with a longer throat and then single feed cartridges. In my research, the 180's seem to be the heaviest for short action magazine feeding. I just ordered a new Bartlein LHGT CFW barrel for shooting 175's, 180's and i'm also going to try my luck with the new Berger 184's and just see how those will shoot from magazine. Like you, I am definitely a magazine shooter and since I prefer short action it does have its limitations.

I mag fed180 in 7 saum with excellent results but the 7SS cartridge and throat are definitely a better Design for that.
2900 should be easy with 180’swith realistic pressures

Reactions: calshipbuilder
One thing to be aware of, it is not recommended that you shoot heavier than 180 with a short action magazine, even the AW style with 2.960 or so. The heavier bullets are seated too far into the case below the shoulder which has been known to cause accuracy issues. For this reason, many F Class shooters who prefer to shoot the heavies will have the barrel chambered with a longer throat and then single feed cartridges. In my research, the 180's seem to be the heaviest for short action magazine feeding. I just ordered a new Bartlein LHGT CFW barrel for shooting 175's, 180's and i'm also going to try my luck with the new Berger 184's and just see how those will shoot from magazine. Like you, I am definitely a magazine shooter and since I prefer short action it does have its limitations.
I am fine with going to a longer action, I just want it to feed 100%. I don't know enough about the larger cartridge mag feeding setup.

I mag fed180 in 7 saum with excellent results but the 7SS cartridge and throat are definitely a better Design for that.
2900 should be easy with 180’swith realistic pressures
What action/ mag? Don't want to get into another magazine meltdown. Would prefer to make this a chassis gun.

What action/ mag? Don't want to get into another magazine meltdown. Would prefer to make this a chassis gun.
I feed 180 hybrids loaded to 2.955 in my Alpha 300 WSM mags and have never had an issue feeding. AW mags are very similar but I have not modded those yet to accept the larger diameter cartridges.

Accurate mags wsm DSSF work well to 2.95 and get to 10rds with the 419 base.

Couple considerations when running short action mags to the mag limits: bullet lengths can vary ( .025 in recent testing with berger 190lrhts) So you don't want to push the limit too much or you'll end up getting a stuck round now and then; also, if you compress your powder and/or have light neck tension, your bullets may walk themselves out of the case and no longer fit in the mag.

Reactions: Glassaholic