• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC. Velocities/ performance ?

mw22481

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
Hey guys what Kind of velocities/performance are you guys getting for 6.5 PRC with handloads?
Anybody getting 3150 with 140’s?
What powders are you using?

Also anyone own or use a Ruger long range target in this caliber ? If so how do you like it ?

Hey guys what Kind of velocities/performance are you guys getting for 6.5 PRC with handloads?
Anybody getting 3150 with 140’s?
What powders are you using?

Also anyone own or use a Ruger long range target in this caliber ? If so how do you like it ?
I got a Rugger Hawkeye in 6.5 PRC best shooting gun out of the box ever had would definitely recommend

Reactions: mw22481
Maybe retumbo ? I know hodgon Page list US 869 as well

I’m just trying to see if I should get a 6.5 prc or a 6.5 saum My buddy has a saum and is getting 3200 FPS with hot loads and a 24” Barrel

I’m just trying to see if I should get a 6.5 prc or a 6.5 saum My buddy has a saum and is getting 3200 FPS with hot loads and a 24” Barrel

The saum has about 6% more capacity, so all other things being equal, it will always be faster. Probably be better to use realistic data points if you’re gonna compare them though, and not over-pressure load results from one or the other.

I actually preferred 147’s at 2975, to the 140 at 3050. That’s a load (for my gun) I could leave in the sun, a hot car, or cook it in the chamber for a bit, with no pressure issues.

I have a 26" MPA that runs Factory 147s and RL26 loads (54.14gr) at 3020. I have room to push but I have a speed limit of 3k at the one match that I shoot.

You could probably launch some 130s at the speeds your are looking for....but is it worth burning up a barrel for 200 fps?

Reactions: mw22481
I also have to Ruger Hawkeyes long-distance 6.5 PRC! And yes your absolute correct it is the best most accurate rifle of ever had. I am however looking at getting back and reloading for the sake of cost. I'm not sure you can improve on the accuracy of the already extremely accurate Hornady 147 and143 gr bullet for this gun.

Just do all reloading for rifles shotguns and pistols . But that was 40 years ago. So I'm regathering equipment to start that now as I've already put about 700 rounds through this Hawkeye. and, I am involved in the long-distance precision rifle shooting matches. Once you figure out a way to handle the recoil to keep your site picture it's a great gun for the competitions! And you also have an awesome hunting rifle!

I'm curious if anyone here or you specifically can recommend the proper powder for the 6.5 PRC reloads. I have the Hornady Reading book on order but have not gotten it in yet

I got a Rugger Hawkeye in 6.5 PRC best shooting gun out of the box ever had would definitely recommend
I also have to Ruger Hawkeyes long-distance 6.5 PRC! And yes your absolute correct it is the best most accurate rifle of ever had. I am however looking at getting back and reloading for the sake of cost. I'm not sure you can improve on the accuracy of the already extremely accurate Hornady 147 and143 gr bullet for this gun.

Just do all reloading for rifles shotguns and pistols . But that was 40 years ago. So I'm regathering equipment to start that now as I've already put about 700 rounds through this Hawkeye. and, I am involved in the long-distance precision rifle shooting matches. Once you figure out a way to handle the recoil to keep your site picture it's a great gun for the competitions! And you also have an awesome hunting rifle!

I'm curious if anyone here or you specifically can recommend the proper powder for the 6.5 PRC reloads. I have the Hornady Reading book on order but have not gotten it in yet

The saum has about 6% more capacity, so all other things being equal, it will always be faster. Probably be better to use realistic data points if you’re gonna compare them though, and not over-pressure load results from one or the other.

I actually preferred 147’s at 2975, to the 140 at 3050. That’s a load (for my gun) I could leave in the sun, a hot car, or cook it in the chamber for a bit, with no pressure issues.
A smart sensible approach.

I have a 26" MPA that runs Factory 147s and RL26 loads (54.14gr) at 3020. I have room to push but I have a speed limit of 3k at the one match that I shoot.

You could probably launch some 130s at the speeds your are looking for....but is it worth burning up a barrel for 200 fps?
What does actually take up burn up a Ruger 6.5 PRC barrel...? How many rounds?

Rl-26 was my go to powder. 800 rounds on a Bartlein and it wasn’t looking pretty. Guy posted on FB last year 16 inches of rifling washed out w 1100 rounds. Thought it was BS till I inspected my barrel at 800.

I think if you run factory ammo which is prob 55/56k psi and run it slow your mileage will double. I always ran near max but never ran it hard and hot.

Rl-26 was my go to powder. 800 rounds on a Bartlein and it wasn’t looking pretty. Guy posted on FB last year 16 inches of rifling washed out w 1100 rounds. Thought it was BS till I inspected my barrel at 800.
What speeds were you running?

I am pushing 3020, with 54.14gr of RL26 and 147eld. I am right around that 800 mark, and aside from plasma etching at the case mouth point in the throat and expected heat cracking, the land beginnings and first foot or so look decent still...not that I would know what "washed out" looks like.

Has anyone had to change a Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 PRC barrel yet? Rounds at that point?

Or... Any 6.5 PRC barrel replacement in general? How many rounds approx?

What speeds were you running?

I am pushing 3020, with 54.14gr of RL26 and 147eld. I am right around that 800 mark, and aside from plasma etching at the case mouth point in the throat and expected heat cracking, the land beginnings and first foot or so look decent still...not that I would know what "washed out" looks like.

Surgeon WSM Action Bartlein 5R 28 inch .188 FB Accurate WSM Mag

All Mag fed except Sierra 150

Factory 147 sped up to 3060 FPS
Flatline 123 ran up to 3449 FPS
Hornady 147 ran up to 3180 FPS
Sierra 150 ran up to 3160 FPS
Berger 156 ran up to 3100 FPS Sold the rifle before maxing that load out.

Only powder i ever used in the 6.5 PRC was RL-26

Just a guess but it's probably because you ran 800 rounds of 62k+ PSI ammunition through your gun. Except for the factory ammo, every one of your loads shows speeds that exceed what should be expected at maximum charge weight.

I understand the issue. Factory ammo at shot 1 was 2890 same box tested at 180 was 3060. I’m also running a 28 inch w a dusted chamber. Never once did I run into pressure issues w any loads. Nor did I buy a new Raptor run a tune, bump the output up to 550/610 to drive at 55mph.

Short mags are designed to run at 62k-65k psi. Why not take full advantage of cartridge design? Could care less about barrel mileage. Was just giving the public my experience w the cartridge..

Short mags are designed to run at 62k-65k psi. Why not take full advantage of cartridge design? Could care less about barrel mileage. Was just giving the public my experience w the cartridge..

Pretty much all short action cartridges, .473 case head and up, have a max pressure around 62K PSI...and they all get smoked prematurely when you run them at or over max. If the OP wants to run 140's at 3150 out of a 26" barrel he/she will be well over max pressure. If you don't mind spinning new barrels and buying new brass then more power to you, the action shouldn't have any problem holding it.

Had loaded Hornady brass 6 times without issues. Casehead expansion was less on my loads w RL-26 than factory loads.

So while I haven’t run the 140gr yet I have developed a hunting load with the 122gr Lehigh Defense bullets. It gives me 3200 FPS using 58.8gr of Superformance from a 24” barrel and appears to be on the warm side based on the primers.

It also kills black bears pretty well.

Attachments

• 3F1C6D7A-E732-4A26-9C4C-A55035C62BE8.jpeg
    3F1C6D7A-E732-4A26-9C4C-A55035C62BE8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 169
Reactions: BCX
Note a lot of guys are using RL-33 w the Sierra 150 and Berger 156 also.

So while I haven’t run the 140gr yet I have developed a hunting load with the 122gr Lehigh Defense bullets. It gives me 3200 FPS using 58.8gr of Superformance from a 24” barrel and appears to be on the warm side based on the primers.

It also kills black bears pretty well.
Hard to see from my phone, did the bullet impact blow fur off the bear or is that a rub mark?

H4350 would be too fast for bigger bullets, you could probably use it for lighter bullets (130 and under), but be careful working it up. Most folks are using H1000 or RL26.

I bought a hand loaded magazine that had loads for all 6.5’s and the 6.5prc was in there. I’ll take some pictures of their loads and post here, there were a lot of powders for 130g bullets and down that surprised me.

Last edited:
I just realized there are a several typos and messed up loads in the 130gr Berger OTM section.
Idk man, what don’t make sense to me is the double load data for the same bullet a couple times. Trying to fill the page out maybe. Then the big jump in powder charge also.

Ha, the missing page. Now I don't have to buy the old issue.
Lol it wasn’t missing, the page was intended to be posted in the first post with the data.
I bought a hand loaded magazine that had loads for all 6.5’s and the 6.5prc was in there. I’ll take some pictures of their loads and post here, there were a lot of powders for 130g bullets and down that surprised me.
Your welcome 😉

Idk man, what don’t make sense to me is the double load data for the same bullet a couple times. Trying to fill the page out maybe. Then the big jump in powder charge also.

For that one it looks like they forgot to differentiate between A-4350 and H-4350 then relisted it again on the next column with only half the powders.