• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Shorty Powders

NFAJohn

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
East Bernard, Texas
I've searched and searched, but didn't see alot of returns, if this was covered my apologizes point me towards it!

I've got two Benchmark 1:8 20" carbon barrels inbound to rebarrel two long actions that I have laying around. The intent with both rifles is that they'll be run suppressed 100% of the time for work in deer blinds/ pack in hunts and out of vehicles messing with pigs.

I want to shoot 135gr Berger classic hunters, 130gr Sierra TMKs and 127gr Barnes TTSX because I have a shitttttt load of them on hand. I know, I know if your doing PRC on a long action run the 156gr stuff, but I don't have those on hand so maybe at a later time.

My question is what powders are ya'll using in short PRCs to push bullets in this weight class? I happened upon a 8 pound superformance today and looking at a burn rate chart it's about right, but Hornady and Sierra make no mention of using it in PRC. I have access to RL22, RL17, RL15, H100 (but not much) and Retumbo. My concern with the Retumbo and H1000 is that I don't have enough barrel to justify burning it.

Are there other powders that I need to put on my radar for shorty 6.5PRC?

I'll be using federal gold metal match mag as I stacked those deep years ago.

Thanks for the input!

If you're looking for a powder optimized for a short barrel, then the variable you want to consider is % Powder Burn. The closer you can get to 100%, the closer you are to an optimized powder. Here are the numbers from QL with a Berger 135 out of a 20" barrel.

1650637591585.png

1650637637905.png

Yup, there's a whole lot of DON'T USE in there, but lower down the list you start seeing safe pressures with nearly 100% powder burn.

It looks like good candidates are RL23, Accurate 3100, and N555 (if you dialed it back slightly). Use this info as a guide and not as load data.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a powder optimized for a short barrel, then the variable you want to consider is % Powder Burn. The closer you can get to 100%, the closer you are to an optimized powder. Here are the numbers from QL with a Berger 135 out of a 20" barrel.

View attachment 7854674
View attachment 7854675
Yup, there's a whole lot of DON'T USE in there, but lower down the list you start seeing safe pressures with nearly 100% powder burn.

It looks like good candidates are RL23, Accurate 3100, and N555 (if you dialed it back slightly). Use this info as a guide and not as load data.
Thanks bud!

View attachment 7854674
View attachment 7854675

I wound up with a 8 pound retumbo so I have a known safey safey, but I also found a 8 pound Superformance.

I bought it after looking at burn rates and it being pretty close to 4831
1650898217379.png

I don't see alot of data on it and what I read is 50/50.... any thoughts?

I’m using N560 in a 20” 6.5 PRC with the 140 elite hunter. 58.3 grains gets me 2,950 fps on a new barrel. Looks like I’m at about 62k psi so not too bad.

Reactions: NFAJohn
I worked up a load with Superformance and 140 grain Nosler open tip match for my 6.5 Remington Magnum. I started with data from the 6.5x284 and moved up until I got <1 inch groups (the barrel was high mileage at that point). You should have no problem with this powder in your 6.5 PRC.
Good luck

Reactions: NFAJohn