• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5 X 47 Lapua Accuracy?

Re: 6.5 X 47 Lapua Accuracy?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I haven't had much luck with the Hornady bullets.

I'd stick with the berger, JLK, or Secnar.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gvanhyning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot the 123 Scenar and 130 Berger VLD. I don't believe I can attain the velocities to take advantage of the higher BC heavier bullets. </div></div>

Take a look at the JLK 130. Its has a tighter meplat than the Berger VLD but otherwise the same. The tighter meplat bumps up the BC by 3 or 4 pts putting you essentially in the same spot as the 140s. Plus the JLK is a few cents cheaper and more consistent piece to piece than the Bergers (at least based on the measuring I have done).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus the JLK is a few cents cheaper and more consistent piece to piece than the Bergers</div></div>

His prices are going up. They're more expensive that the VLD's but not by much. Both bullets are sensitive to seating depth. So you'll have to find the sweet spot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mac37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His prices are going up. They're more expensive that the VLD's but not by much. </div></div>

I bought 2000pcs from JLK at 32cents each about 6 months ago; Berger's were about 36cents at Powder Valley, so the JLKs were a good savings at the time. But I'm not up on current prices...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HM Spike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fantastic Groups........

I can see the Love for Varget and H-4350. It also seems that under 2900fps has a lot of respect, Is IMR-4350 the Unloved Stepchild??? </div></div>

37.5 IMR 4350, Berger 130 VLD @ 100 Meters 3 shot.

IMG_0218.jpg

5 shot group 40.0 grains IMR 4350

DSC01954.jpg

Gruning Precision Rifle

DSC02074.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeterN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered a Crusader from GAP and because I am tired of the abuse I get from my 308 I ordered a 6.5x47. I switched back and forth between the 47, 260 and 6.5 CM and finally decided on the 47. why? I still don't really know. But I did it and I'm glad. I'm proud of the fact that I stopped dicking around and made a decision. Even if it's wrong.

I wanted a 22"....Ken Linn at GAP argued for a 26" and and I compromised at 24". Will I get the velocity with 140s to reach 1000? The suspense is killing me and I can't wait to find out with some of the loads cited in this thread. </div></div>

I find the 6.5x47 really shines shooting the lighter bullets (123/130 grain). If you want to
Shoot the 139's/140's/142's the 260 Remington is a better choice. I am with Ken at GAP on barrel length- go with 26".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeterN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered a Crusader from GAP and because I am tired of the abuse I get from my 308 I ordered a 6.5x47. I switched back and forth between the 47, 260 and 6.5 CM and finally decided on the 47. why? I still don't really know. But I did it and I'm glad. I'm proud of the fact that I stopped dicking around and made a decision. Even if it's wrong.

I wanted a 22"....Ken Linn at GAP argued for a 26" and and I compromised at 24". Will I get the velocity with 140s to reach 1000? The suspense is killing me and I can't wait to find out with some of the loads cited in this thread. </div></div>

I find the 6.5x47 really shines shooting the lighter bullets (123/130 grain). If you want to
Shoot the 139's/140's/142's the 260 Remington is a better choice. I am with Ken at GAP on barrel length- go with 26".</div></div>

This is contrary to my experience with this caliber. If you want to shoot light bullets at velocity, shoot a .243 or something that will shoot 115 DTAC's. If your shooting a 6.5 cartridge, your wasting time if your not shooting 139/142, ballisticly and practically speaking. And the only thing a .260 can do that a 6.5x47 can not is use more powder, at no gain in velocity or accuracy over a 6.5x47.

37.5 gr varget
123gr
CCI SR M 450
kreiger 8.5:1 25 in
shoots key holes all day long

the 6.5x 47 is very forgiving, you can fall out of bed and make a load that is 1/2-1/3 moa.

New 6.5x47L seems to like 41.3 gr h4350. It isn't on the high node but shoots very well. The chrono is showing 2830ish average with the 130 vlds. I'm going to run another 50 of these through the rifle and check the chrono numbers again. This rifle has only 60 rounds through it.