• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 x 47 Lapua advice

Mikee36

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2013
SLC, UT
So my new build will be done in about a week so I thought I would try to gather some suggestions and other's experience. It's a 6.5 x 47 Lapua Rem 700 platform. Defiance action, A-5 stock, Bartlein 1 in 8 barrel. I am debating taking it hunting but want it to shoot well at mid and long range. My only option is Lapua brass and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go with Berger Match Hunting VLD 140s (can't find any target VLDs). Unless someone can talk me out of it. I would like to use H4350 but that is non exhistant so I'm going to settle with Varget. My biggest question is to go with small rifle magnum primers? Or small rifle match/benchrest primers? Then if anyone can give me any advice or tell me their experience with this cartridge I'd greatly appreciate it. Good load recipes or reloading advice would be nice too. Thanks in advance

Mikee

Stick with 130gr bullets as you won't be able to drive the 140s fast enough to make beat them. We run 42g of H4350 with the 130s, but since it's unobtanium right now, you can substitute RE17. Also, Ramshot Hunter has been known to work well with 140s if you decide to stick with that bullet. As for primers....use a CCI450.

Tried and proven in many rifles.....

37.5gr Varget
130 VLD's
CCI 450's

I've been shooting this load for the last 3 years in several different rifles and I've recommended it to a few friends and they had good results with it as well.

Last edited:
If You want a box of 140 VLD's I'd sell you one. Drop me a PMor e mail if you want it.
Hate to see a Guy with a new stick and no ammo!

FN in MT

I don't know that you're really "settling" with Varget, but maybe so. Anyway, I have had spectacular results with the following:

Lapua Brass
123 gr. Lapua Scenars
37.9 gr. of Varget
CCI SR BR

It shoots spectacular at 100/200/400/600 and 1000 yards. Consistently shoots sub 1/2 MOA with many groups less than 1/4 MOA and better at times.

Reloder 15 gets the job done as well in the 6.5x47. Like other guys here, I like the 130's, amazing little bullet.

Not sure why people say to stay away from 140s. I get 2850 with 40.4 H4350 and 140 vld's no problem. I load for a second 6.5 lapua and get 2850 with 39.5 R17 and 140 vld's. Don't be afraid to try the 140. Hard to beat the 140vld for wind drift.

One thing I didn't see asked, what was your barrel cut for? What was the freebore? Most rifle makers use a specific reamer based on its intended use. Find out from the builder what the specs are. I had mine cut to use 130 bergers then be able to use 140's as the freebore gets burned.

The builder recommends Berger 140s but says it will shoot anything I throw in it. I will try some of those with Varget and CCI450s and see what happens. When more stuff becomes available I will experiment some more. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post some pics and groups as soon as I get some. Thanks again

Robert Gradous built my 47L and he recommended the 123 scenars.

Without question the most accurate gun I have shot to 800 yds.

123 Scenar loaded .020 off the lands
37.4 grains of RL15
BR4 SR primers

2909 fps out of a 26" ss Krieger

Wicked low ES/SD

My biggest question is to go with small rifle magnum primers? Or small rifle match/benchrest primers?

Consider CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers. I did load dev on a number of bullets/powders, looking for the most accurate load for long range target shooting (out to 1200m). I couldn't get 140 AMAX to group well no matter what powders I used. 139 Scenars were pretty forgiving and would likely have become my final load but then I got a hold of some 136 Scenar-Ls and some N550 powder. That combo gave me the best groups, just slightly outdoing Berger 130s (seriously impressive bullet) but I had a feeling I could squeeze a bit more accuracy out of them so on a whim I switch from GM205M primers to CCI 450 and watched the groups all collapse on top of each other, pretty much beating any load I've ever made. I'm getting single digit SD and holding groups at 200m that I would be normally happy with at 100m.

40gr N550 2.755" COAL CCI 450 Pushes the 136s @ 2815 out of a 26" 1:8.5 twist barrel.

Jim is that a different rifle than the 700 you had w/21" in a Lam stock? Any idea on mv?

If different is that also a 700 Mag contour? Thanks.

I like the idea of the Scenar Ls. Unfortunately the only ones I can found is a 1000 round box for $450. That's a bit much not knowing for sure if they shoot well in your gun. A few more questions... Have you guys had better luck at just neck sizing? Or F/L sizing? And I'm guessing you use a bushing die... what bushings/neck tension do you guys use? We all have to use the same brass so bushings should be close

I use a F/L Forster sizer, no bushing stuff for me. Size, tumble, chamfer/debur, load, shoot......occasionally clean out the primer pockets. Don't make it too complicated.

I use 41.7 grains of H4350. 26 inch Barrel built by RBros rifles. I get 2925 PFS

I dont run it as hot as Jesse, Travis, Brian, Jim, Etc. Etc. But I like my accuracy up against anyone.

I use the Forster Ultra FL Die set. For $90 it is really tough to be and produces great stuff. Oh yeah, 130 Grain JLK bullets are a step above all other 6.5 bullets IMO, actually that is fact!!

I haven't heard much about the JLK bullets. What I have heard though is nothing but way good. Where can you get those from? I did a search and can't find any for the 6.5mm

Consider CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers. I did load dev on a number of bullets/powders, looking for the most accurate load for long range target shooting (out to 1200m). I couldn't get 140 AMAX to group well no matter what powders I used. 139 Scenars were pretty forgiving and would likely have become my final load but then I got a hold of some 136 Scenar-Ls and some N550 powder. That combo gave me the best groups, just slightly outdoing Berger 130s (seriously impressive bullet) but I had a feeling I could squeeze a bit more accuracy out of them so on a whim I switch from GM205M primers to CCI 450 and watched the groups all collapse on top of each other, pretty much beating any load I've ever made. I'm getting single digit SD and holding groups at 200m that I would be normally happy with at 100m.

Dogtown- when you switched to the magnum primers did you start with a lighter powder charge and work back up or did you keep the same charge?

I kept the same powder charge as I had not seen pressure signs with that particular load - just swapped primers to see if it would affect the groups.

I kept the same powder charge as I had not seen pressure signs with that particular load - just swapped primers to see if it would affect the groups.

Dogtown- Thanks...I am in the same situation and am going to do the same as you. Did you see much change in FPS by making this switch? I am going from CCI BR-4's to the CCI Magnum #450's. I thought I would keep the same charge.

To be honest, since I moved over to the Magnetospeed chrono, I no longer check my velocities until the last stage of load dev, so I'm not entirely sure what the velocities were prior to switching primers. That said, I would expect magnum primers to increase pressure slightly, but I have no data to know for sure.

Hey Dogtown! I use a Magneto too. I haven't been using mine for load development either. Just in fear that it might affect barrel vibration and change my load development results. Is that your reasoning too? Have you tried it or seen a difference?

I haven't heard much about the JLK bullets. What I have heard though is nothing but way good. Where can you get those from? I did a search and can't find any for the 6.5mm

Mike,
JLK's are great. I did a thread on the 130gr JLK with all sorts of info on the bullet. See it here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...9-130gr-jlk-numbers-evaluate-my-analysis.html The problem is getting them. Swampworks, the guy who makes them, is something like 1yr back-ordered. I'm down to my last few hundred.

I have a new custom bullet-maker who has a dynamite line-up on 6.5mm bullets (6 or 7 different weights, including 130grs). If anyone is interested, PM me for his contact info. I will post up a thread on the field results once I get the bullets, but not publically before I get my big order filled {wink wink}

Hey Dogtown! I use a Magneto too. I haven't been using mine for load development either. Just in fear that it might affect barrel vibration and change my load development results. Is that your reasoning too? Have you tried it or seen a difference?

It won't change your results with load dev because as soon as you remove it, your POI will shift back. I just don't bother running all the loads through the chrony during the initial process. In the past that's kind of biased my loads because I would lean more towards a faster group than say a more consistent and powder charge tolerant group. So now I pick a load to finesse with seating depth and primer swaps and once I'm happy with that and have my scope zeroed to the load, then I run 10 rounds of that load through the chrony. That said, I also use it to test loads for consistency or troubleshoot problems, but no longer am I running every round in load dev through a chrony.

37.5gr Varget
130 VLD's
CCI 450's

I've been shooting this load for the last 3 years in several different rifles and I've recommended it to a few friends and they had good results with it as well.

Snap, also

38.5g rl15
cci450

I FL size with Redding Dies, 37.5gr Vargay, 123 Sierras on top moving at 2,960fps... 24.5" Muller Works. Love it.

Oh a the difference between reg and mag for the Wolf primers are just cup thickeness nothing else FWIW

Thanks for everyone's input and helping us all out. I think I came up with a pretty good load.
image.jpg
That's five shots at 200 yards
39.2 gns H4350, CCI450 primers, and Berger 140 VLD's
This round is just plain awesome to shoot!
Here's a pic of my gun
image.jpg
Thanks again everyone

I'm leaning towards having a 6.5x47L built with a 22" barrel. I would normally go with a few more inches of barrel length to take advantage of the increased velocity, but I want to build a rifle for competition that limits the barrel to 22" for the carbine class.

So with that said, what would be the best powder/bullet combo for cheating the wind in a 22" barrel chambered in 6.5x47L, and what can I realistically expect for velocity? Or am I wasting my time and should just continue shooting my 20" Sako TRG in 308Win?

I'm leaning towards having a 6.5x47L built with a 22" barrel. I would normally go with a few more inches of barrel length to take advantage of the increased velocity, but I want to build a rifle for competition that limits the barrel to 22" for the carbine class.

So with that said, what would be the best powder/bullet combo for cheating the wind in a 22" barrel chambered in 6.5x47L, and what can I realistically expect for velocity? Or am I wasting my time and should just continue shooting my 20" Sako TRG in 308Win?

Andy,
I've been shooting N550 for 4 years, between price and finally availability, I'm switching to RL-17, more velocity, which I really can't fathom.
Pick some up and try it. Finding pressure is tough, you'll most likely get pierced primers before any other signs, Lapua brass and this high pressure cartridge are tough to figure. Call me and I can help you out a little.

The Berger 130 VLDs and Sierra 130 game kings shoot bug holes out of my 6.5x47. Devastating on white tail deer too. 38g of Varget or R15 will do it. For pure target shooting the lapua scenars have been the best for me.

Andy,
I've been shooting N550 for 4 years, between price and finally availability, I'm switching to RL-17, more velocity, which I really can't fathom.
Pick some up and try it. Finding pressure is tough, you'll most likely get pierced primers before any other signs, Lapua brass and this high pressure cartridge are tough to figure. Call me and I can help you out a little.

Called and left you a message Miles.

Anyone else have experience with the 6.5x47L with a 22" or shorter barrel?

Called and left you a message Miles.

Anyone else have experience with the 6.5x47L with a 22" or shorter barrel?

I have a 21" 9 twist Krieger in Rem Var contour. I shoot a 130gr at 2800fps and a 107gr at 3000fps, with H4350 and RL15 powders.

My 20" shilen does 2860avg with formed 22-250 brass and the 123amax over 38gr of re15. Extremely low es/sd.

Chuck

37.5gr Varget
130 VLD's
CCI 450's

This has so far...been THE load for my rifle. 130 VLD's seated .010" into the lands, out of my 28" HART = 2940 fps. My last four shot group today went into .146"

that is the load i am starting with. dumb question, could you please explain the "130 VLD's seated .010" into the lands" i am using 130 VLD bergers. i noticed the rifle is real picky on how deep the bullet is set. to far forward and the bolt does not want to close.

thanks