• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CM barrel length

LivOutLoud

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
Idaho
Ive just spent an hour looking at topics about barrel length for 6.5cm and can't decide. I am getting ready to buy a remage barrel to convert my 308 700 to 6.5cm. I plan on running it suppressed majority of the time. I will be using it for a few PRS competitions a year and paper punching/steel banging out to 1000 yards and little beyond. I did a PRS match last week with my 300wm and not the best for that and don't want to burn the barrel out of it for allot of that short range stuff plus destroy the steel :) The normal thought from reading is the longer the better and 24 to 26 is the best length. I will be using a specwar762 on I and adds about 7ish inches to the overall. 26 is too long and 24 is almost too long for me, I was looking at 22" but not thinking about 20", I that too short? Its going to be a MTU contour so I'm trying to keep the weight down and still get long range performance, I have more strength than most but being a women its still a long term issue. I know I'm not losing much on FPS from dropping from a 22" to a 20" but dropping from 24" to a 20" is allot and effects coefficient a bit and flight time.

What say the hide?

18” and run 130s. I do it with a 9” can and it’s great. 20” will be fine as well. There’s a thread in here somewhere titled Shorty 6.5s I think. Has a lot of the same info you’re looking for.

Why MTU? Rem Varmint or Med Palma might be something to consider.

one Good thing about a short barrel is a faster lock time between the bullet exiting the barrel comparative to when the pin drops. Less time To induce shooter error. ...I wonder if there is much real world merit to the benefits of this and if this may make up for a lack of FPS?

Demo I doubt it. I have run long Creedmoors since 2008 and all very accurate and good velocities.

OP I have run a 26" 300Wm with a 9" can on it in matches and not an issue but if you wanted to keep it shorter I would say go with a 22" and you can still get decent velocities and keep it around 28-29" overall which is easy to get around with.

one Good thing about a short barrel is a faster lock time between the bullet exiting the barrel comparative to when the pin drops. Less time To induce shooter error. ...I wonder if there is much real world merit to the benefits of this and if this may make up for a lack of FPS?

At the end of the barrel, where you are changing the length of the barrel, the bullet is traveling at a minimum of 2600 fps in most cases. At 2600 fps, it means it it traveling at 31,200 inches per second. If you added 2 inches of barrel length, it would add a total of 2/31,200 seconds to the total time the bullet spends in the barrel. The .0000641 additional seconds the bullet spends in the barrel will not create a measurable difference in accuracy from shooter error.

As for the OP, I currently run a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" barrel and 9" can and haven't had any problems with it. The only time I ran into a small issue was the first time I ran a cattle gate stage with the can and I bumped the can once since I wasn't paying attention, but it doesn't really slow me down by a noticeable amount. That said, I agree with the assessment that you should go for 22" if you want shorter still.

I run a 24" with 9" can, just practice setting up and clearing the barricades under the pressure of time like you would in a match and you'll get used to it. There's plenty more to focus on than just mobility, at the end of the day you have to learn how to maneuver with whatever you end up running anyways... That being said there's plenty of guys here who run shorter barrels and do fine.

My cousin is hitting at 1k with a 20" 308 and 168s... youll be fine with a 20" 6.5 creed. It doesnt make it impossible, it just puts you at a comparative disadvantage to someone shooting the same bullet 125 fps faster. And if youre competing you want to limit your disadvantages.

Reactions: Baldmanactual
It sounds like a 22” would be the right length. Im trying to keep the weight down on the end as I’m not as strong as most. The match last week I shot I had a hard time shooting a ipsc target at 200 freehand with my 26” mtu Rifle, I feel 4” or 6” less of mtu would help that balance allot. My reason for MTU is it’s mostly what I shoot and like the harmonics of it and it will fit my Mcmillan without a funny gap. The round counts I shoot sometimes might beat a Varmint up pretty quick.

I’m still learning allot of this stuff. I want to be competitive but also want to shoot long range steel suppressed. I don’t see myself shooting unsupressed much at all because my hearing kind of sucks and have mild tennitus so I try and shoot everyone suppressed as much as possible.

That MTU being better for match round counts is in your head. Plenty of people myself included have been running med palmas and no issues in matches with heavy round counts. If you are trying to keep the weight down it's pretty counter intuitive to go with an MTU even a shorter one. The gap isn't bad from an MTU to a med palma. Below are some pics of my Manners T3 that went from an MTU to a med palma.

You say you are learning so listen to those who have been down the road already.

h0v4uaI.jpg

wzAiHOl.jpg

1EWYind.jpg

I went 18” to accommodate a 9” can and keep the overall length around 26”. We’ve ran them from 16.5” to 26” and they have all performed outstanding.

BF40156A-081C-4E04-8786-501CBC94F2C7.jpeg

Reactions: demolitionman
I am not against a smaller contour but Palma is not one I can get from the list where I am ordering.

How does your 18” run out at 1000 and little above?

Reactions: wade2big
I have had good luck with my 20” out to 1200 yards. But the velocity I’m getting somewhat matches those running longer barrels and loading with 4350 or 4451.

That is very fast for a 6.5 Creedmoor that short. My 24" is about 60 fps slower with 140 ELD-M box ammo.

The can gives you a bit more but not that much.

I need every edge I can get so my next barrel is a 28" to get maximum velocity. Also carbon wrapped for minimum weight.

Proof makes 24" carbon wrapped, maybe the lower weight would offset the longer length for you and give back some velocity.

Ok I’ll look into the rem Varmint then, I appreciate the help so far.

I didn’t think proof makes remage barrels. I think carbon six does but not sure I want to pay that much right now.

Still can’t figure out a barrel length, The back and forth I’ve read about continues. 22” still seems like the right fit for me but now I’m looking at 20 or even 18. 26 is way too long and 24 is not going to be much better I don’t think.

Just to give a idea this is my suppressed 26”MTU 300wm it’s just too big and heavy for competition, I’m pretty short too. I built this one for prone shooting from the truck/rzr out to a mile so I had never intended to shoot it any other way. I think the rem varmint contour is a good idea and just need to figure out a barrel length, worst comes to worse doing a Remage barrel I can always get a shorter and longer barrel and just swap between but that’s not the best case scenario.

B68C9089-5416-4E3D-B6AC-93DD44DA9426.jpeg

Reactions: Bender
I’ve got a 24” Proof Sendero contour on my new 6.5CM and the weight saving is huge compared to my buddies steel barrelled version....

Attachments

• 11057312-DB06-4D88-B9EF-B6DD2172CF7F.jpeg
    11057312-DB06-4D88-B9EF-B6DD2172CF7F.jpeg
    825.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 7B7EB41E-D624-4811-86C9-D940E021445A.jpeg
    7B7EB41E-D624-4811-86C9-D940E021445A.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 138
That reminds me of why I ordered a folder to go with my 28" barrel.

I'm hoping I can fit it in a 42" case folded.

Sorry, I was assuming that Proof was making Remage barrels since I just ordered a Savage Pre-fit from them. I wonder why they don't?

If you are considering a switch barrel setup, American Rifle Company is going to be offering their Barloc barrel tensioner for Remage. I think it is a slick way to allow barrel changes with hand tools only, no action wrench or barrel vise required but the tensioner gets it tighter than 100 ft-lbs so no worry about loosening while you shoot.

Ok I’ll look into the rem Varmint then, I appreciate the help so far.

I didn’t think proof makes remage barrels. I think carbon six does but not sure I want to pay that much right now.

Still can’t figure out a barrel length, The back and forth I’ve read about continues. 22” still seems like the right fit for me but now I’m looking at 20 or even 18. 26 is way too long and 24 is not going to be much better I don’t think.

Just to give a idea this is my suppressed 26”MTU 300wm it’s just too big and heavy for competition, I’m pretty short too. I built this one for prone shooting from the truck/rzr out to a mile so I had never intended to shoot it any other way. I think the rem varmint contour is a good idea and just need to figure out a barrel length, worst comes to worse doing a Remage barrel I can always get a shorter and longer barrel and just swap between but that’s not the best case scenario.

View attachment 6900241

Remember it's always easier and cheaper to shorten a barrel than to make it longer. Shortening is as easy as having a smith cut and rethread. Longer requires a whole new barrel. Go with the 22". You find it too long then get it cut back. But being shorter and lighter with the Rem Varmint contour than what you have in the 26" MTU, I will bet you find it easier to carry and move around with.

Yeah that "test" is not accurate and should be taken with a grain of salt. You do not lose velocity past 24" with a Creedmoor. Doesn;t happen. This has been discussed many times. The thought is that the tester was using a new barrel and the barrel started speeding up as new barrel do as they tested. Even the tester says he doesn't know why it happened. Do not take that as fact.

Reactions: demolitionman
Yeah looking at proof it looks like they don’t but doesn’t mean they don’t make them. Carbon is probably not the best for my wallet and rather put that little extra into some ammo. I plan on shooting out the barrel in a year maybe. I suppose if I can budget 2000 to 2500 rounds a year I could budget a few extra into a barrel but don’t know that I want to commit to that yet.

Yeah hearing that test seemed kind of strange and didn’t sound right.

So I have a inquiry in for a 22” rem varm contour in 1-8 twist to see what lead time is. I’m trying to work out my budget with 2500 rounds a year for practice and competiton so I could very well burn a barrel out quickly. I have learned from USPSA that if I want to get up the ranking I need practice and therefore ammo. Worst comes to worse if I burn the barrel out and want shorter or longer I can try that on the next barrel.

Thanks again for the help everyone, I’m still kind of new to the PRS match stuff and anything not 308.

Yeah looking at proof it looks like they don’t but doesn’t mean they don’t make them. Carbon is probably not the best for my wallet and rather put that little extra into some ammo. I plan on shooting out the barrel in a year maybe. I suppose if I can budget 2000 to 2500 rounds a year I could budget a few extra into a barrel but don’t know that I want to commit to that yet.

Yeah hearing that test seemed kind of strange and didn’t sound right.

So I have a inquiry in for a 22” rem varm contour in 1-8 twist to see what lead time is. I’m trying to work out my budget with 2500 rounds a year for practice and competiton so I could very well burn a barrel out quickly. I have learned from USPSA that if I want to get up the ranking I need practice and therefore ammo. Worst comes to worse if I burn the barrel out and want shorter or longer I can try that on the next barrel.

Thanks again for the help everyone, I’m still kind of new to the PRS match stuff and anything not 308.

Something you can do to not burn out the barrel so fast is use a .308 for practice and the 6.5 for matches. if you are running a remage then it would be easy as the only thing to change out would be the barrel itself. Everything else is the same between the two. Been doing it for years. Getting 8-10,000 rounds of .308 saves your 6.5 barrel costs.

Very true, have not thought about that. I assume the only thing that really changes is ballistic data?

Yup just rezero the scope and run data for the .308 barrel. Before a match swap back to the Creedmoor and rezero.

22”-24” 6.5. Re-Zero, get new data/dope. Shoot, smile.... be happy.

The 6.5 will feel like cheating coming from a .308. Ask me how I know LOL my face hurt from smiling the first time out with my new 6.5. Just do it and never look back.

Not much to add that hasn’t already been said, but just a little interesting data. My 20” Tikka will run about 2700-2715 with Prime 130’s.

I run a 6.5 Creed Tikka with a 22" Proof stainless in Heavy Palma and a Silencerco Harvester for matches and love it. It is exactly the same length as my other Tikka which has a 26" barrel with a Hellfire brake on.

20180109_193357.jpg

22”-24” 6.5. Re-Zero, get new data/dope. Shoot, smile.... be happy.

The 6.5 will feel like cheating coming from a .308. Ask me how I know LOL my face hurt from smiling the first time out with my new 6.5. Just do it and never look back.

I did it backwards, shot thousands of 6.5 creed and 6mm creed rounds out to 1K then one day it dawned on me that I never shot my 20" AX in 308 longer than 200 yards.

First shot took so long to hit a large steel plate at 1K that I said screw this 308 shit. Never have I shot a 308 at 1K again.