• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5mm Cutting Edge Bullets 133 grain

robp5t

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2011
Florida
So I decided to try some Cutting Edge bullets in my 260 after trying them in my 338. I had great results with them in the 338, but the 260 not so much. I loaded them per Cutting Edge's instructions. I made sure all of my cases were cut to spec of 2.025 with the inside beveled with a VLD tool, and seated .025 from the lands. I loaded 5 rounds and shot one of them yesterday and it keyholed the target so I stopped. I started with a load of 39 grains of hybrid 100v which on a Berger gives me right at 2600. What can cause this to happen?

Far from an expert but wouldn't that be caused by not stabilizing the bullet. Not enough rpms basically. What twist barrel? May have to push them faster.

Solids are very picky about what kind of bore they're shot through. Was it recently cleaned out good with no copper fouling before switching to the solids? Also, solids tend to be longer than jacketed lead bullets, so while they may be lighter, they often need a faster twist to stabilize.

I have a 8.5 twist, the barrel was pretty fresh. I did clean it the night before, but put 5 fouling rounds through it before I tried them. I was wondering if I was not pushing them fast enough? I am going to bump up the charge and try them again. I had to start somewhere with it.

Thanks for the input.

Not to sound silly but; did you check and make sure between you and the target there weren't any obstructions that the bullet may have been impacting before encoutering the target? I had a buddy who had serious keyhole problems with his AR. It was hilarious when I found his bullets were passing through a 2" thick limb about 20 feet infront of the target and holding about a 10" keyhole group still. Oh man, just thought I'd throw that out there!

Cutting Edge says that bullet needs a minimum twist of 8 inches. They recommended a 7.5" twist to me.

Cutting Edge says that bullet needs a minimum twist of 8 inches. They recommended a 7.5" twist to me.

Thanks, I missed that little detail when I was drooling over them. Well my buddy will enjoy them in his rig.