• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x284 still as relevant?

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
Want to do a LA non-mag build (already have a 300WM) for hunting and LR, just cuz. I already load for .260 so have the 140s around already. I know the 6.5x284 was big, and could still be, with bench shooters, but with seems like a new wildcat coming out every month, is the 6.5x284 a good choice? I was thinking of trying a stock factory 6.5x284 then maybe going to a straight .284 on barrel #2.

If you don't mind a long barrel I would go 284. A 284 performs really well out of a 30 inch barrel with 180 bergers. Plus the barrel life is considerably longer than the 6.5-284.

why would you want to go with a 6.5 x 284 when you can go 6.5 x 7rsaum?

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...85807-new-gap-extreme-hunter-6-5-saum-12.html

Because you can literally dump ready-to-load brass out of a blue box and get to loading/shooting.

The 6.5 SAUM sounds cool, no doubt, but not everyone wants to screw with that kind of brass prep.

Personally, I think the 284 is a much better cartridge than the 6.5-284. The only advantage to the 6.5 is a little bit of flatness, and less recoil.

I think 284 Win is good too, but brass is harder to find and the selection of heavy 7mm bullets is not as vast as heavy 6.5mm.

Well, I like both rounds myself. Ballistically I ran the JBM numbers and they are pretty close. .284 running 2850fps with 180 hybrid gets you 312in drop and 54in drift (10mph cross wind) @1000. 6.5-284 running 3000fps with 140 hybrid gets you 289in drop and 55.5in drift at the same variables. I would think the 6.5 would have an edge just because of the great out of the box brass, and cheaper, more available bullets. Can't go wrong either way.

Or just go 6.5-06 and have easily obtainable and sizable brass with the same performance as the 6.5-284. I've had both and would choose the 6.5-06 over the 284 any day. This is if using a long action, of course...

P.S. With h1000 and similar powders it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't approach the 6.5 SAUM.

the 6.5-284 is just so hard on barrels if you plan to use it often. For most guys that shoot steel that is a deal breaker. When we go out to shoot we want to be able to shoot and not worry about killing 10%-15% of the barrel that day....

I would look at the 284, 280 and 280AI if you want to go 7mm.

I use 6,5x55 AI and run it at 3000 fps and it gives me exact the same amount Of trajectory out to 1000 m as My .338 with 250 gr bullets.
My tikka 6,5 barrel have passed 3000 rounds and still shoot great.

+1 for 6.5x55 Improved. Mine only had a 30-degree shoulder, so it's wasn't the full "Ackley" treatement, but it was a superb performer. Unfortunately, it was hobbled by being built on a short action. I'm actually thinking about doing it all over again, but on a long action this time.

This would not get more than probably 30 rds over a days time of just pleasure shooting allowing to cool and 2-3 rounds for hunting outings. One thing I like in any rifle I own is having availablity to reloading supplies. I've always wanted to do a 7SAUM, but the brass is non-existent. Kind of the same thing with the other newer wildcats. As mentioned, the 6.5x284 is readily available in the blue box and .284 can be necked up from said brass. 6.5x06 and .280AI may be viable choices as well. Thanks for all your feedback.

My hunting rig is the 6.5X284 and i love it.Brass is everywhere,and used you can find dies for it and awesome bullet selection.when i burn mine out going to put another barrel in a 6.5x284.

You will get a donut more times than not when necking up to 284 with Lapua brass. I know several guys that tried it and they all got donuts.

You will get a donut more times than not when necking up to 284 with Lapua brass. I know several guys that tried it and they all got donuts.

No doubt necking up 6.5-284 Lapua brass will give you a donut.

It doesn't matter a damn though if you've got a long action and have your chamber throated so the bullet bearing surface is fully north of the neck/shoulder junction.

With the short neck of the 284 that would be a fairly long freebore. I have no experience with the chambering, but didn't think the bearing surface could be set up to be much in front on the neck/shoulder junction.