• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5x47 and 140gr bullets

Re: 6.5x47 and 140gr bullets

how much grip on the bullet u gettin with the .289 bushing

i measured a few loaded rounds at .290

with a little spring back its gotta be less than .001

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb1000br</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout, TiNit .268 for the 6BR with Lapua brass. Comes out dead on .2680 after a slight brush over a carbide expander ball (I will always use expander balls on unturned necks) This gives 1.5 thou neck tension.

For the 6.5x47 I had Forster ream their FL die to .2865" With their expander ball in use I get 1.5 thou neck tension there as well.

I am leaning more towards NON-bushing dies lately...

JB </div></div>

It looks like I'll start with .289 and .268. If I can just come up with the same info for a 7wsm, I'll be set!!

I agree about the non-bushing dies, as I find a load a stick to it, so there is no need for the added flexibility the bushings provide---hence trying to limit the number of bushings I buy. The only reason I am sticking with the bushings is because I buy the set with the Micrometer seater.

I am gearing up for three new cartridges at the same time---it is getting quite expensive!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjaytuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much grip on the bullet u gettin with the .289 bushing

</div></div>

Right @ .001". I usually run more than that, but when I got setup for the 6.5 that was the only bushing I could find in stock anywhere. I got, used it and the loads shot fine, so I haven't tried another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb1000br</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am leaning more towards NON-bushing dies lately...
JB </div></div>

We ran a test two years ago with two BR rifles, same/same across the board. One used a Wilson Neck Die with bushings and a Redding Body Die (mine) the other used a modified Forester FL Die that had the neck honed to a pre-determined diameter (not mine)

The rifle that used the modified Forester Die had a slight accuracy advantage. We confirmed this by also measuring case neck and loaded round runout after sizing/seating. The honed FL dies are the ticket, no moving parts (bushing)

The best weight for the 47MM case may be the 120-130 grainers. The 55MM case likes the 140 grainers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb1000br</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout, TiNit .268 for the 6BR with Lapua brass. Comes out dead on .2680 after a slight brush over a carbide expander ball (I will always use expander balls on unturned necks) This gives 1.5 thou neck tension.

For the 6.5x47 I had Forster ream their FL die to .2865" With their expander ball in use I get 1.5 thou neck tension there as well.

I am leaning more towards NON-bushing dies lately...

JB </div></div>

What does your brass size to? My forster FL die sizes new brass to 0.286 without the expander ball. I was considering having the die honed to 0.2885 so as to not overwork the brass. Why did you chose the diameter you did?

I use the redding match bushing dies. I use the .288 bushing. Gives me arond .15 to .2 tension on my 6.5x47.

KT

I am having my Surgeon re-barrelled as a 6.5x47L by Robert Gradous and want to keep re-loading as simple an accurate as possible-I do understand this is a fairly forgiving caliber to reload for.....

That said,

My plan is to go with the Redding Match s-type Neck die set using a .289 bushing.

Is this the way to go?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having my Surgeon re-barrelled as a 6.5x47L by Robert Gradous and want to keep re-loading as simple an accurate as possible-I do understand this is a fairly forgiving caliber to reload for.....

That said,

My plan is to go with the Redding Match s-type Neck die set using a .289 bushing.

Is this the way to go?</div></div>

Just get a set of Forster dies with FL sizing die and Micrometer seating die. They've proven to be more than adequate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My plan is to go with the Redding Match s-type Neck die set using a .289 bushing</div></div>
You should get the .287, .288 and .289 bushings. You never know exactly what you'll need till you get started. Or make it simple and take JLR's advice and get the Forester dies. They work great!

I'm getting 2780fps avg with the 6.5x47 and 140gr, from a 20" barrel. Plenty fast enough to beat the 123s