• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 bolt rifle build

mrbig

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
Pleasant Shade ,Tn 37145
I have the Rem 700 PSS 308 in the AICS 1.5,,I want to switch to the 6.5x47,,would you pay to have the Rem action trued/blueprinted or sell the 700PSS in the HS stock and put that money on the Stiller Tac 30 action,,say I sold the rifle for 650 and subtracted the money it would cost for blueprinting the 700 action from the custom action it wouldnt cost but maybe 300$$ to start off with the Tac 30,,
is it a slam dunk worth the extra 300 for the Stiller action??

gonna use a pretty fat Bartlien 8 twist barrel..

The Remington action can be made to shoot very well. If you want features like the side bolt release, fluted bolt, etc., then you may be better off going with a custom action for the money. I have custom actions and trued Remingtons, and they all shoot well.

I had my M7 action tried and a #4 Mullerworks barrel screwed on. LongRiflesInc did the work...I am pleased. I'd definitely say it's worth it.

I have the Rem 700 PSS 308 in the AICS 1.5,,I want to switch to the 6.5x47,,would you pay to have the Rem action trued/blueprinted or sell the 700PSS in the HS stock and put that money on the Stiller Tac 30 action,,say I sold the rifle for 650 and subtracted the money it would cost for blueprinting the 700 action from the custom action it wouldnt cost but maybe 300$$ to start off with the Tac 30,,

A lot of smiths still true custom actions. It's not always a savings. They do have tighter tolerances and can run smoother than a stock Remington although in rough conditions they can bind due to the tight tolerances. If you're going to eventually flute the bolt, change the extractor, do a side bolt release, do an oversized bolt knob and get a quality 20moa base then yes just go custom.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

One thing to consider also 6.5x47L is a small rifle primer. Getting the action trued MAY also mean bushing the firing pin and going with a smaller diameter firing pin. So you might just be further ahead going with a custom action.

So bushing the face and turning the FP justifies the custom action? FWIW, mine is not bushed and performs just fine.

Custom actions are a better platform generally speaking but I still pull run out on every action that comes into my shop except Bats, Surgeons, and Defiance. In 7 years I still have never had run out on any of those actions so I quit. I have had to face off a couple other custom actions but I've never had one that was way out. Just a couple thousandths. I would choose a custom action for the stiffness and features already mentioned if you have the money. Trued Remington actions will also shoot very well when worked correctly. You will probably be the same money either way with one or two exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does your action shoot currently? I Have not learned how to "true" an action yet. But I have made 3 sub moa rifles on a 700 action, one 300WM and the other two are 6.5X47L. I did not bush the firing pin and have had no issues with cratering or piercing primers. Don't get too fat a barrel, stick to the contour your stock is made for and you can have a barrel chambered and the rifle ready to shoot in no time. My load in 37gr RL15 over a 139gr scenar in Lapua brass and CCI primer. I get 2750fps in an 18inch kreiger bbl and have about 9 mil to a thousand.

Lot of sound advice

Yes true the action and have the bolt bushed and firing pin turned down for a 6.5x47

It all depends on your budget.

IMO if take a trued 700 over a Stiller.

It all depends on your budget.

Get the Stiller if you can afford the extra cost.
You'll have a "true" action, one-piece bolt, bolt knob, fluting, extractor, side bolt release, and small-diameter firing pin right out of the box.
If you can't afford it , and you don't want or need the extra features, use the 700.

I have a trued R700 that I am running a 24" M24/40 Krieger in 6.5x47 -no problems with that profile-will likely do the same again. I bushed the firing pin-I like to take care of potential issues on the front side- especially with component availability being what it is.

One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned was a factory 308 PSS- unless you are experiencing difficulties-not sure you'd gain much with a custom action except pride of ownership? That said, if you are spending too much time drooling over a custom action you want- get it and shoot it asap, this ride is a pretty short one.

if you are spending too much time drooling over a custom action you want- get it and shoot it asap, this ride is a pretty short one.

That's the best argument for buying a custom action.
You won't be regretting the things you enjoyed when they're throwing the dirt in your face.

somehow I actually ended up with an extra 700PSS barreled action from the classifieds,,so I could sell one in the HS stock and keep the other to shoot 308 and 6.5 depending on components availability,,,,looks like I will put a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X on the PSS and see how much of the Stiller action it will pay for,,

What do you want to do with it? what bullet and what do you expect out of it? The 700 action is fine and is not an issue, unless you want to run it hard. A tight custom will out run the 700 if you push it.

I just shoot for fun,,but can be kinda hard on equipment,we own maybe 400 acres in the hills of Mid Tn and have steel targets at oddball ranges and with the ridges and lowgaps the wind can be a nightmare,,from all the numbers I have studied the 130 Berger will be the main bullet but would like to have the ability to shoot the 139 Scenars,,it will not be a target rifle or shot in matches,,but it needs to be very precise,,
sometimes we will shoot at quart oil cans or spray paint cans from 500-1100 yards,,eggs at 3-400 yards and just stuff like that,,

Well I have two custom builds:

1. Trued Rem 700 with button rifled/fluted Benchmark barrel - 22-250
2. Stiller SA308 with Bartlien 5R fluted, cut rifled barrel- 308

I love both these guns and they both shoot damn near the same with shelf ammo. Now, I know I am somewhat hindered in really turning each of them on to maximize their potentials by not yet reloading. With that in mind, let me say both guns perform, look and feel just about the same. As far as the actions go specifically, the Rem 700 bolt is a tad heavier and the rails seem to have a little more open tolerances. They both feel equally smooth when cycling and both gave equal wear patterns on lock-up. An added benefit of the Stiller is a pinned optic rail. This adds a bit of robustness and ensures centered alignment. Very few windage clicks were needed to zero.
If given the choice, I would buy a Stiller knowing they are almost equals; I like the look and the added options: side bolt release, extractor, fluted bolt, pinned rail, etc. Now if I had a Rem 700 donor action and was building a gun requiring gun smithing, I would likely choose to save a couple hundred dollars and keep the Rem 700 and have it trued.
Blank slate = Stiller
Donor action = Trued Rem 700
Keep in mind not all trueing by gun smiths is equal. A quality smith is assumed here. With a Stiller you know what you get every time.
That's my take on it. Hope it helps you in your decision.

Don't sell it short, there is a lot of people shooting 130's, But if you run a custom action and long FB the 140's are all over the 130's. My BAT VR PIC 28" Barlein with plenty of FB launches 140 Hybrids 2910 fps with absolutely no signs of pressure with stellar accuracy.

I have had dozens of rifles that to one degree or another are custom. For rough use I actually prefer the rem 700. Offers many advantages that most custom actions do not.
Not as likely to bind up.
Not saddled with a crap extractor. Regardless of the hype, the 700 extractor is one of only two that have not failed me.
Better gas handling than the ones with sako or m16 extractors.
Works well with a great trigger, the Remington one. .) Now the Jewell fan boys who cannot pull a 3 pound trigger and still hit what they aim at can cry all they want, but the Remington trigger is simply less prone to binding up or breaking.

if I can get 2900 accurately with 140s from the AI mags I would probably only shoot one load,,what is the COAL with the 140 loaded with none of the fat part of the bullet below the neck ??

I am at 2.850" light on the lands with the boat tail junction well above the shoulder neck junction with a 140 hybrid.

what is the shortest OAL with the boat tail junction just above the neck junction donut,,I would like it chambered right there where I could load out a little longer with throat erosion,,

Are you using it as a tactical rifle? Do you run the bolt hard? I've seen lots of newer 700 bolt handles break off. Also with the 6.5x47L, you WILL need to bush the Remington bolt, which is yet more expense. Do you want side bolt release? Also how long has your smith quoted you for the build?

Say you keep the 700 to build off of, you're in for $250 for truing, $100 for bushing, $100 for a bolt knob (if you so desire), $100 for side bolt-release, money to have the bolt handle welded on, money for a recoil lug, etc. You may not want those features, but at the very least you need it trued and the bolt bushed. If you had a $300 gun-show special Remington, it would be a different story but you have a 700P that complete would probably bring $800 or so.

Here's what I'd do if I were you:

I'd buy the Stiller Tac 30. It won't need the bolt bushed, it won't need trued, and it won't need the bolt handle tweaked.

I'd keep shooting my 700P until the 6.5x47L was built. Then after the 6.5 is finished, put the 700P back in the HS stock. The 700 is worth more as a complete gun than selling off the barrel and the stock. The price the 700P will fetch complete covers the cost of the Stiller and keeping it until the 6.5 is done gives you something to shoot. Hell, you may decide to keep it.