• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 lapua help

SmimL7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
OH River Valley
I'm doing some load development for my 6.5 lapua 24.5" barrel. I have 130 VLD target bullets .020 jump with 40gr H4350 is getting great accuracy but only getting 2650 fps. I'd like to get closer to 2900fps but I'm running into seating depth variances and not so great accuracy with increased powder. I'm thinking about trying some Varget or RL15 to increase my velocity. Any thoughts?

How do you "know" you're getting only 2650fps?

Have you shot the load at distance >600yds and checked your actual DOPE against the calculated DOPE?

I'm asking because I had a friend that had the same issue and turned out it was a chronograph issue. Otherwise, you could have a "slow" barrel or a slower lot of powder.

Mine, 28" Bartlien with 30-P1 suppressor.

41.6gr of H4350 130VLD jammed .010 into the lands. Nets me 2854-2882fps depending on the Lot of powder I use.. Velocities are confirmed with a Magnetospeed and Rangetime..

Disclaimer; My charge is above book max. That doesn't mean it will work in your rifle.. Safely work up and watch for obvious pressure signs.

2810 fps with 39 of H4350 , sounds like you have a slow barrel or a
dicky chrono . Try Varget for a little more velocity , 36 to 37.5 should
be useful .

2810 fps with 39 of H4350 , sounds like you have a slow barrel or a
dicky chrono . Try Varget for a little more velocity , 36 to 37.5 should
be useful .

Varget good choice for the speed, but so are a couple high energy slower powders, RL 17, and VV N550.

I'm doing some load development for my 6.5 lapua 24.5" barrel. I have 130 VLD target bullets .020 jump with 40gr H4350 is getting great accuracy but only getting 2650 fps. I'd like to get closer to 2900fps but I'm running into seating depth variances and not so great accuracy with increased powder. I'm thinking about trying some Varget or RL15 to increase my velocity. Any thoughts?

Varget works great with 130s. I bet you find what you're looking for between 37 and 38gr.

John

I don' have my load data in front of me but when I tested the 130 VLDs, they shot much better with Varget than with H4350 and ran 2940 fps. I've since switched bullets to shoot the Hybrids because they are jump tolerant and I'm tired of chasing the lands just to keep a load accurate as my barrel needed the VLDs jammed slightly, between .005 and .010.

How do you "know" you're getting only 2650fps?

Have you shot the load at distance >600yds and checked your actual DOPE against the calculated DOPE?

I'm asking because I had a friend that had the same issue and turned out it was a chronograph issue. Otherwise, you could have a "slow" barrel or a slower lot of powder.

I haven't tested at distance. I'm measuring velocity at the muzzle with a magneto speed. The Chrony hasn't let me down with other loads I've tested

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try some varget this weekend. I worked all the way up to 41.5 gr H4350 with no pressure signs but it looks like I'm past capacity because my coal is all over the place so I must not be getting consistent seating. I know these bullets like to be in the lands but .020 off is getting great one hole groups with 40gr.....Just too slow

Try Varget or RL15, 37-38 grains. I've yet to see a 6.5x47 that won't shoot 37 grains of RL15 with a 130 bullet.

FWIW, your velocities seem pretty slow. Is this a new barrel? I gained about 100 ft sec after a couple hundred rounds on mine.

I've used 4350 a bit and with great results. I've used much more 4451 and had equally positive results. The trick with these powders is to settle them by tapping the case repeatedly. Varget and RL15 don't have this issue.

RL15 gets a bad rap around here, but I've shot a good dozen pounds of it in a couple calibers and I think it's a great powder. Never had any temp issues.

Try Varget or RL15, 37-38 grains. I've yet to see a 6.5x47 that won't shoot 37 grains of RL15 with a 130 bullet.

FWIW, your velocities seem pretty slow. Is this a new barrel? I gained about 100 ft sec after a couple hundred rounds on mine.

I've used 4350 a bit and with great results. I've used much more 4451 and had equally positive results. The trick with these powders is to settle them by tapping the case repeatedly. Varget and RL15 don't have this issue.

RL15 gets a bad rap around here, but I've shot a good dozen pounds of it in a couple calibers and I think it's a great powder. Never had any temp issues.

Yes, this is a fresh barrel. I did stay away from RL15 due to what I've read about temp sensitivity. I already had the Varget so I figured I'd try it first

Yes, this is a fresh barrel. I did stay away from RL15 due to what I've read about temp sensitivity. I already had the Varget so I figured I'd try it first

I wouldn't worry about the low velocities, things will speed up and normalize pretty quickly. You'll really like Varget, it's perfect for the 6.5x47 and 130's.

varget, as others have said, is the goto powder for the x47. the problem is to get the velocity out of it with H4350, you end up running a compressed load. When I tried that I ended up with a variance in seating depth that I didn't like (and it was also with the 130g vld). varget will be much better in that regard. once you shoot out your supply of vlds, try swapping to the 140g eld-m or rdf. both have been hammers out of the x47 and are not as seating depth sensitive. the 130 and 140 hybrids are good, but to really get the most out of them (and in my opinion) match the bullet to bullet consistency of the RDF or ELD-M you need to trim and point the meplet. I don't want to have to do that, so I shoot the ELD-M

BTW, I am getting 2830 fps with a sd of 3 with 38.0g of varget behind the ELD-M in a 26" barrel

varget, as others have said, is the goto powder for the x47. the problem is to get the velocity out of it with H4350, you end up running a compressed load. When I tried that I ended up with a variance in seating depth that I didn't like (and it was also with the 130g vld). varget will be much better in that regard. once you shoot out your supply of vlds, try swapping to the 140g eld-m or rdf. both have been hammers out of the x47 and are not as seating depth sensitive. the 130 and 140 hybrids are good, but to really get the most out of them (and in my opinion) match the bullet to bullet consistency of the RDF or ELD-M you need to trim and point the meplet. I don't want to have to do that, so I shoot the ELD-M

BTW, I am getting 2830 fps with a sd of 3 with 38.0g of varget behind the ELD-M in a 26" barrel

I'll keep that bullet in mind. I tried the varget today. As others have observed I got my best Accuracy at 2750fps with 37gr varget. I worked up to 2850fps with 38gr and no pressure signs but my groups started to open slightly. Is there a target velocity anyone is aware of for the next Accuracy node?

[/QUOTE] Is there a target velocity anyone is aware of for the next Accuracy node?[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear Varget is working. At 37 grains that should be a sweet shooting load. As for the next higher node, in my barrel it took about 90 ft sec for the groups to tighten up again. It might be a stretch to get there with Varget, I've never tried, but RL15 just gave too many pressure signs. With 4451 (or H4350) you should be able to get there without too much pressure, but getting the powder in the case may be a problem. I was able to get 42.3 grains of 4451 in a case, but I had to use a Sonicare toothbrush to settle the powder enough to be able to seat a bullet. The accuracy was not as good as the lower node, nor were the SD' s and ES's.

In my 26" barrel I'm shooting 130 VLD's at between 2818 (37 RL15) and 2832 (41.2 4451). Most of the 2000 rounds have been the former, the barrel still shoots great, and I just lost my first piece of brass to a cracked neck after 19 firings and no annealing.

I've also shot the 123 amax a little using Varget. Everything between 37.1 and 37.7 shot very well. Groups were smaller with the lighter charges, but the numbers were better with the higher loads. Since they discontinued this bullet, I didn't pursure any further load development. Velocity with 37.7 was 2923 ft sec

I think the 90fps increase may be doable with Varget. It only took 1 grain of Varget to get 100fps increase and I'm still not getting pressure signs. I'm going to try seating them .010 into the lands and working my charge back up. would 37gr be a safe place to start?

I think the 90fps increase may be doable with Varget. It only took 1 grain of Varget to get 100fps increase and I'm still not getting pressure signs. I'm going to try seating them .010 into the lands and working my charge back up. would 37gr be a safe place to start?

I think you would be fine starting at 37. I shoot the VLD's something like .060" in the lands, or .009" off a real jam. So .010" in the lands isn't going to do much to increase your pressure.

Do be careful with hot loads in this caliber, the brass hides pressure signs like no other caliber I've ever shot.

.060 sounds deep.....like bullet stuck in
the chamber deep, if I need to eject a live round lol.....I figured those cases hid pressure signs well when I stuffed them with more H4350 than they wanted and still looked good

Quickload has your setup shooting @2651 so you spec out right where you should for a SAMMI spec chamber. RL17 would get the velocity you're looking for but finding an accuracy node at that velocity can always be a challenge.