• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 lapua out of a 20" barrel

charliejhusn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
Oregon
Am going to hopefully start another project soon and wanted to know if a 20" barrel would provide good enough accuracy with the 6.5x47 lapua? I read a thread on here recently about using 6.5 lapua with shorter barrels and one guy said he had a 20" 6.5 lapua barrel coming in, but I don't believe he posted on how well it worked out? Any advice on this round and barrel length would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Charlie

Re: 6.5x47 lapua out of a 20" barrel

Plenty of accuracy from a 20" barrel, will lose some velocity. I've usually found in other calibers that you lose roughly 15 to 20 fps/in of barrel.

26" is ideal for most of the 6.5s especially the .260 but alot of guys are building short .260s at 20". So the x47 sporting a 20" shod be just fine.

Why the x47 anyway and not the 6.5 creedmore or even better....the .260?

Thanks for the reply! 15-20 fps doesn't sound to bad, but then again you never know when you might need the extra fps.

Roughly down 120 fps w/20" barrel vs. 26" barrel, might be as little as 90 fps.

Shooting to 1K on regular basis and 26" barrel isn't a hinderance, why go 20"?

If you are going to run a can, then I see a distinct advantage to a shorter barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TangoDown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">26" is ideal for most of the 6.5s especially the .260 but alot of guys are building short .260s at 20". So the x47 sporting a 20" shod be just fine.

Why the x47 anyway and not the 6.5 creedmore or even better....the .260? </div></div>

I was actually looking into those two also. I thought the lapua would be fun to mess around with since I will be handloading. The .260 would probably be cheaper, but I was under the impression that when you handload the 6.5x47 lapua, 6.5 creedmoor, and the .260 rem had pretty much the same ballistics? I know factory ammo for the lapua is slower than the other two though.

.260 is the winner if you handload. 6.5 creedmore if you are limited to only buying factory ammo. As for the X47 I have yet to determine any real advantage it has over the aforementioned.

There really isnt an advantage...aside from readily available Lapua brass. With handloads though, you can ring out what ever performance you loose from a stubby barrel.

Dont worry about it...

Out in the field, all three are right on top of each other. Maybe 47L gives up 50-75fps, but who can shoot that?

You go 47L if you are lazy on brass. I know you can do stuff to the CM and the 260R brass, but if you are like me and you just want to spend the money and spend as little time as possible on the brass, you go 47L and pay your $88 to Powder Valley for a nice blue box with 100 pieces it in and go. Lapua will be offering 260R brass in future so that is a positive there. Of course, 260R is tougher to load mag length, whereas 47L and CM load the longest bullets to mag length no problem.

Your 20" 47L will work great. A 123gr SMK/AMax or 130gr VLD, RL-15 or H-4750, and you will have a great mobile gun that has great ballistics out a long ways. Get a big old mag for it and you are off.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies and information guys! It makes the decision process go a lot smoother. Hopefully within the next month ill have scraped enough money up to start something.

Charlie

I shoot a Surgeon actioned Krieger barreled 6.5x47 at 22". It was 26, but I cut it back to suppress. Love it.

I cut mine to 22 inches, and I run a silencer. So total length is 30 inches.
The 47 shoots the same as the 260, CM so why go with them? Great brass, small primers, I load mine to about 2750fps with 139 scenar bullets and get to 1K without an issue. I can load the 123 to almost 3000fps without any drama.
20 inch barrel makes it very handy to get into and out of the truck, so I made my son's rifle with an 16 inch barrel. 6.5X47L with 16 inch barrel. Shoots to 800 OK, that is as far as we have shot it. With a can.
IMG_0002-3.jpg

How do you like your krieger barrel? Krieger is probably who I will go with for a barrel, was thinking 20" medium palma with a 1:8 twist.

You should look into Mcgowen. I've got two of their barrels and they are great. I put 20 rounds thru my .260 when I got it and it didn't foul at all.

I am having an 18.5 inch 6.5x47 built as soon as McMillan gets my stock to me. Ordered it mid December so it should be here any day now. Then it's off to Jon Beanland. Can't wait to see what I can wring out of it. Expecting to get ~2800 fps with 123 grain Scenars or AMAX's.

crumpmd - What kind of velocity are you getting with that 16 inch barrel?

Sir,
Mine is a 1/8 Med Palma Krieger and I would not change a thing.
RTH

One advantage of the 6.5x47 is the brass is shorter than 260 brass. This means your long loaded rounds will fit in AICS short action magazines and short action receivers better. It also means the bullet won't have to be set so deep in the brass. With a 260, a 155 Berger has to be set quite deep in the 260 brass if it is to fit the magazine. So deep the base of the bullet is down below the neck. Not so with 6.5x47. Lapua worked out all the kinks with the 6.5x47. Not that 260 wont work. It works fine, just not quite as 'sweet' a solution.

Interesting to read what you guys have to say about the 260.

When that lapua brass is ready for the .260 it will be over. :):)

Is it ran by guys that win matches? I think it is.
smile.gif

22" seems to be a popular length for a supressed rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charliejh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am going to hopefully start another project soon and wanted to know if a 20" barrel would provide good enough accuracy </div></div>

Enough accuracy for what?

I know 6.5CM in a 20" gasgun does pretty well, good enough to drop hits on LaRues at 1K.
However I went 20" because POF didn't have 24".

I don't run a can, and I don't "deploy" out of vehicles (infil and exfil is pretty tame for us civilians) so I have no reason to limit myself and run as long a barrel as feasible. My comp boltguns are 26" and 27" and I have had no problems whatsoever.

If you're are in or get to the Phx Metro area come on out for our monthly matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charliejh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like your krieger barrel? Krieger is probably who I will go with for a barrel, was thinking 20" medium palma with a 1:8 twist. </div></div>

It cant be beat. There are plenty of great barrels, I run Kreiger and Rock and Bartlein. All 1:8.5 twist. All shoot dead on.

how does 1:8 vs 1:8.5 affect barrel life in the 6.5L? is there a better twist for 22" and shorter barrels?

Im getting a 26in Krieger #4 or #5 sporting barrel for my 6.5x47. Im using a Bat action and Manners T3. Im also interested in this topic.

I'm using a 22" Rock on my 47L and have no problem's getting to 1000 yrds and even got a hit at 1740 2 wks ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and pay your $88 to Powder Valley for a nice blue box with 100 pieces it in and go. ...</div></div>

Oh, that collapsing US dollar... $102.77 and they are out. Graf is also out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">26" is ideal for most of the 6.5s especially the .260 but alot of guys are building short .260s at 20". So the x47 sporting a 20" shod be just fine.

Why the x47 anyway and not the 6.5 creedmore or even better....the .260? </div></div>

Ask Robert Gradous "why the x47?"

Unless a short barrel is necessary go with a 26" barrel.

It is my experience that a good action, barrel and gunsmith will have more effect on accuracy than barrel length (within reason). But the 47 can be a finicky round to load for.

A lot of Q's on barrels, Krieger is an excellent source and I have a #7 Brux in a 47 that shoots very well also.

2780 with 140amax,h4340, 20"

It's a bit warm, need to back it off .5gr or so, should get about 2730 from my notes

Cutting another rifle from 26" to. 22" resulted in less than 10fps loss of speed with Amax/h4350

Lost 10FPS after cutting bbl 4" using same charge/load?

I seen 100fps diff in a 24" vs 21" 6.5x55 M96, using 4831/120s...

Have to imagine a 20-25fps loss per 1" cut, for same load.

PG1.jpg

Been shooting a 20" x47 for several yrs now
123 skinnie @ 3023fps via re17
Supersonic to 1400yds, thou farthest i have shot it is 1200

260 like its sister cases 243/308/708
all suffer from piss poor case design, if you must run a 260 at least run SLR version

You could not pay me to run a standard 260
XC n CM both are great candidates be it 6mm or 6.5

Wow, why such distaste for the Saami 260 Karl?

I followed some advise and ended up with a 6.5CM. Not a lot in terms of recoil and the Krieger barrel offers really good accuracy. Reloading the Hornady brass is easy, some cases have been reloaded 5 times and are still in good condition.

Using H4350 and 140gr bullets from several different manufactures. I'm getting right around 2800fps with sub .5 groups. The Krieger barrel doesn't seem to mind the different bullet manufactures, or COAL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: majohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I followed some advise and ended up with a 6.5CM. Not a lot in terms of recoil and the Krieger barrel offers really good accuracy. Reloading the Hornady brass is easy, some cases have been reloaded 5 times and are still in good condition.

Using H4350 and 140gr bullets from several different manufactures. I'm getting right around 2800fps with sub .5 groups. The Krieger barrel doesn't seem to mind the different bullet manufactures, or COAL. </div></div>

Is this from a 20" Krieger?

good info. i like short barrel bolt guns. and 20" 6.5 is awesome

Simple the case design of the 308 n its siblings
require regular trimming due to weak shoulder angle

This also makes case show pressure way early via ejector smear

Any of the new high efficient cases with a 30' shoulder are way better

I stuff my X47 cases with RE17 n have never trimmed them
zero growth

better mouse traps out there, why not use one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple the case design of the 308 n its siblings
require regular trimming due to weak shoulder angle

This also makes case show pressure way early via ejector smear

Any of the new high efficient cases with a 30' shoulder are way better

I stuff my X47 cases with RE17 n have never trimmed them
zero growth

+1
better mouse traps out there, why not use one </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lost 10FPS after cutting bbl 4" using same charge/load?

I seen 100fps diff in a 24" vs 21" 6.5x55 M96, using 4831/120s...

Have to imagine a 20-25fps loss per 1" cut, for same load. </div></div>

You can imagine whatever you like, but I've shot it over the chrony

Interesting, so 10fps for the total 4" of cutting, using the same load? Or 10fps per inch?

Was this using the same load ? Won't argue your results on chrony.

Just seems very unusual to lose only 2.5 fps per inch, using the same load for cutting 4" off a 26" tube.

Jedi, no doubt the 47 and others have an efficient design. I have not had to trim 260 brass. I partial size cases fwiw. I also don't see ejector marks on brass, but don't run super high pressures. I am sure each gun is to it's own, as loads.

My only dealing with the 6.5x47 is in my benchrest rifle. I have a 22" bbl on it. Kreiger. Accuracy? I've won about 6 matches with it and it is a straight up hammer. At first I used a NF PBR with the DD reticle. I had to use the small dot because it is on a kelby panda with 0MOA base and with the 12-42 it didn't have enough elevation to get to even 600 yds. But with the small dot my average groups on match 1 were 2.5" (5 shot groups)I have shot a few sub 1.5" 5 shot groups at 600. Shot it at 1000 3 or maybe 4 times now and I have 2 clicks left on my NXS 8-32 with NP-R1 in Louisiana, I am not keeping up with my 6.5x284 but accuracy is there with it. I'm shooting 35.5 grns or varget I think under a 123 SMK and sometimes scenars. It is making me want to cut my 28" 260 down to 22". I don't feel handicaped with the bbl length. No one at our local BR matches have bbls shorter than 26" and most are longer. I think my shorter bbl helps me more than it hurts me. BTW- I am now only having BR rifles that are ballisticly similiar to my field rifles so that even at a bench I am still learning in the right direction. I got tired of shooting 6.5x284 at the bench and then a 308 in the field. I would always over call at the bench and undercall in the field. Now I'm closer to each other with each shot. I've found it to be a great learning tool. OP not trying to hijack. Good luck with the shorter bbl. I think you'll like it.

I love the 47L. After 16 reloads I trimmed 2 of the 200 I prepped. I just split the neck on one piece of brass and that was after only 27 reloads! It is apprently not very easy on brass. I do not have enough time to be prepping brass and I never full length size, even up to 27 reloads. I still have 10 pieces that will have 28 reloads after tonight.

That being said, I like all the 6.5's and none have any reason to be turned away. Good luck with what you run.

Jon Beanland built my 6.5x47.
I wanted a short bbl rifle for hunting so we decided to cut the bbl to 22.5"
It will shoot in the low.2s @ 100yds with a 6x scope.
I wouldn't change a thing.
123A-Max works well on deer out to 300 so far.

Coach

The other advantage of the 6.5x47 in my experience is the brass lasts so long. I am going on my 14th load and haven't had to trim. Butttt I I don't load that hot either.