• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 Swede users?

So for giggle shits I did some brass measuring.
-6.55x56 lapua(rim.478/thick.055)

-30.06 hornady(rim.468/thick.050)

-308win brass(rim.471/thick.050)

-hornady 308( rim.470/thick.050)

-lapua308(rim.471/thick.050)
So I guess your right the 6.5x55 lapua brass rim is thicker by .005 than 308 and 30.06 brass I had to measure. Should I call the smith and send him a sako extractor and have him open bolt face or call him and send him some lapua brass.

My experience has taught me simply having a Sako or M-16 extractor, or simply having a PTG bolt will usually avoid most/any problems with Euro Swede brass. But if you're working with a std Rem bolt and std Rem extractor - it's best to double check.
I would send him a couple cases and if it doesn't work without a hitch, then have him order or send him a Sako.

Im not having any issues yet. I bought a bunch of lapua brass that I planned on using. But my rem 700 bolt was for a 30.06 which now I will use for swede. Im tryin to get it straight

I have never experienced any issues when converting a gun from 30-06 to 6,5 or reverse.
But there is numourus rumours Of issues with small (out of spec) us brass.

Wow after all these threads - I love my m96 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser - been going strong since 1984!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Issue is likely not extractor but The use Of inferior us brass in The Rifle.
It is the extractor/bolt face. The extractor won't fit over the rim of the case because the diameter of the Lapua brass is larger than the 30-'06 and 308 Win. based stuff. Some rifles are affected by this and some aren't. I use Lapua brass only and my rifle needed a Sako extractor installed.

Thanks easy gravy I stand corrected she's been going strong since 1917 - be 100 in less than 3 years LOL!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winchester brass worked fine with my Remington bolt and extractor. PPU brass was too thick and would not extract. I hate being without my rifle, so I trimmed the OD of the rim and all is well.

Swedish 6.5x55: The best military cartridge to date, IMO. designed in 1893!

My own selection of Swedish Mausers set up for target use:

IMG_0948.JPG

I won't bore you with what these century old rifles will do. Who would believe me? I know, some have barrels only half a century old! One of the CG-63's has a NEW Krieger!

MSTN,

Looks like you know your Swedish Mausers! Can you message me on the Hide please, I'd like to pick your mind a little about these.

Thanks

been a while since i have looked at this thread so figured i would see what was new. finally got around to chronoing my rounds. the 47.9 gr of RL-22 averages 2970 w/ ES of 29. the 48.2 gr load averages 3007 with ES of 14. from what i have seen those velocities seem pretty high. i have shot a few other rifles through my chrono, and ran the numbers through strelok compared to real world drop info and everything matches up pretty closely. barrel is finished at 29" w/ a brake. just curious what others are running theirs at speed wise. thinking that kind of speed can't be conducive to long throat life. but the ES i am getting makes me hesitant to back it off, and am not seeing any signs of pressure so far. will i see another consistent velocity grouping at a lower speed, and charge?

Thank you dudes for this thread. I have a 6.5 Bartlein #3 8 twist barrel that I was going to do something else with, but now I realize it really belongs on a Tikka 30-06 receiver.

been a while since i have looked at this thread so figured i would see what was new. finally got around to chronoing my rounds. the 47.9 gr of RL-22 averages 2970 w/ ES of 29. the 48.2 gr load averages 3007 with ES of 14. from what i have seen those velocities seem pretty high. i have shot a few other rifles through my chrono, and ran the numbers through strelok compared to real world drop info and everything matches up pretty closely. barrel is finished at 29" w/ a brake. just curious what others are running theirs at speed wise. thinking that kind of speed can't be conducive to long throat life. but the ES i am getting makes me hesitant to back it off, and am not seeing any signs of pressure so far. will i see another consistent velocity grouping at a lower speed, and charge?
Been running 3025fps for 450 rounds. My OAL to lands has already changed a few thousandths. Not expecting super long life, but nothing 6.5-284 bad.

I am hopefully going to pick my new one up tomorrow.... hopefully..... It has been ready, I just can't get loose to go get it. Stay tuned for pics!

Well over the last 2-3 weeks I have been trying out some new bullets in my rifle as my Speer supply is running low. Bullets that were tried were 140 grain Hornady SST and Sierra Game King along with RL22, H4831 and IMR 4350 powders. Rifle is push feed M70. The conclusion was that this rifle just not like boat tailed bullets because I suppose is the very long throat.

Today I loaded up 6 rounds of 140 grain Speer hot cores and 48 grains of RL22 just to check rifle and 5 bullets went into seven eights inch. It don't like BT bullets!!

Regards, Keith

Varget and h4350 are too fast for Swedes. You'll get better results with H4831 and RL22. You'll be crunching powder but you get better velocities before you hit pressure.

L

Reactions: Rthur
I bought the varget and 4350 because it was availible. I have some h4831sc too. I try that first. I found several loads for swede with varget and 4350. Im not looking for screaming speeds 2600 fps fine for shooting paper

IMR4064 is faster than Varget so you'll hit pressure quick. Norma204 may work. It's just a little faster than H4831.

L

What other powders you guys using. Anyone tried norma204? Or any imr. Will 4064 work?

4064 will definitely work, just not high load density.
I used it to shoot 160's in my 6.5x55 and it was way more accurate than needed for under 200 yard deer harvesting.

My understanding for dropping the case in water was to prevent the heat from reaching the case head.

I use the drill+deep socket+propane torch method. I dont even drop them in water anymore as quenching isnt needed on brass annealing (its not heat treating).

My understanding for dropping the case in water was to prevent the heat from reaching the case head.

I use a Giraud anealer and just have them drop into a box. Not sure water would be needed to keep the heat from traveling all the way down with any method unless you are over anealing the neck to start with. I've tested with 650 templeq and the heads never even get to that

uploadfromtaptalk1411910208425.jpg
This is my Ruger M77 MkII 6.5x55mm. Given to me by a friends widow. Haven't been able to touch it for 4 years after he died. 2 months ago pulled it out. And I loaded up 50 rounds of 140 gr bthp over 40gr h414. 1 inch groups. His brother was there. He has a m96.

This is my first post here. This forum is awesome.

accuracy is everything

Thanks. It's a lot of fun to shoot now. It used to frustrate me to even hold it cause I couldn't clear my head. But this thing is awesome.

My custom action fell through after many months (as things things tend to do once and awhile)
I forsee one of these in my near future:

DSC_0024.jpg

Damn, Easy!
Congratz!

That's a fine rig. Post up full specs now that she's debuted.
Then break a bottle of champagne over her and see what she can do!

Ok as requested I took the new swede to range. Played with some 123amax w/ varget and got decent results.
76bdcdb2825fd25e1cd08905469af8a4.jpg

Im very pleased with this gun, and it might be my new favorite. I got h4350, re-22, 4831, and varget to try still. I thjnk Im goin to stick with the 123amax istead the 140s.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413143556.694753.jpg
From today competition, this stage at 600 meters and i am shooting factory Norma 130 Grain Diamondline.
We buy those here through the clubs for about a dollar per round.
Gun zeroed at 100 meters and i had 4 mils setup

Reactions: Graywolf.260