• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 Swede users?

^^^^ Im going straight swede as well. Gonna call it m40swede1.Cant wait to see these builds get finished and pics posted. I dont know why silly shit like this makes me happy. Heck, I was happier with my 1943 Nagant revolver I paid $100 for, that my sig p220 pro elite. I guess its the simple things in life. Or just simple me

Well gents, bartlein barrel has came in the mail. Bad news is, just got off the phone with LongRiflesInc.. they dont have the reamer so I got one ordered up from PTG( 6weeks). So, yet another delay in the m40swede1.

Swedish 6.5x55: The best military cartridge to date, IMO. designed in 1893!

My own selection of Swedish Mausers set up for target use:

IMG_0948.JPG

I won't bore you with what these century old rifles will do. Who would believe me? I know, some have barrels only half a century old! One of the CG-63's has a NEW Krieger!

If I may ask, what peep sights are you running on these and how hard is it to install a set?

Well gents, bartlein barrel has came in the mail. Bad news is, just got off the phone with LongRiflesInc.. they dont have the reamer so I got one ordered up from PTG( 6weeks). So, yet another delay in the m40swede1.

What contour, twist, and length did you go with?

I was just going to go solid color. Im not into the flash. I am sending in to LongRiflesInc for the works, I was gojng to go with simple 1 color base cerekote. I know it could be cheaper to send it out but I wanna get the barreled action finished all at once. The reamer gonna be 6 weeks and by time I get it back its gonna be close to killin season. Id like to fill the jerky bags with my swede bags!!!

Very cool. I'm stuck waiting on the right time to start this project. With an 89k tuition bill looming over my head I gotta wait on this one a bit longer than I wanted but hoping I'll get a break and be able to do it a bit at a time. In the mean time I'll live vicariously thru you gents!

I have a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 6X55. I bought it around 1999. I don't have a lot of experience with this rifle and have only tried H4831 and RL22 powders along with 2 bullets 140 Gr Partitions and 140 Gr Speers. This rifle has a very long throat and with the Speer bullet 49 Gr of RL22 produces 2685 FPS. This load is very accurate but maybe to hot for summer weather. My rifle does not produce the speed that others report so maybe this barrel is a slow one.

It does however kill deer dead enough to eat.

Regards, Keith
Semper Fi

I have just finished a mauser build. Well almost, it still needs a finish.
Mauser 98 vz-24 action
Timney trigger
Aluminum firing pin
Shilen match grade #7 contour
6.5x55 swede
Boyds walnut praire stock
EGW bases
Tps rings
Still waiting on a decision for the scope, right now there is a cheap wallyworld scope on it.

Shoots .6 with berger 140' vld's but I am still working up a load, I am confident I can get this under .5 inches.
There is less than 30 rds down the tube and that was the 2nd powder/COL setup I tried.

Swedish 6.5x55: The best military cartridge to date, IMO. designed in 1893!

My own selection of Swedish Mausers set up for target use:

IMG_0948.JPG

I won't bore you with what these century old rifles will do. Who would believe me? I know, some have barrels only half a century old! One of the CG-63's has a NEW Krieger!

What an excellent collection. I should get one of these..

I run the IMR4064 in an old swede but w/ very low pressure as the action
Is over 100 years old. If memory serves 37 grains with 139 scenars.
I had my nose in a reloading manual last night and I came across some load data on IMR4064 and 120-130 grain bullets. Has anyone tried this powder in a swede?

Trying to come up with a good hunting load out of a 22in barrel with 125 nosler partitions....

Thanks

I run the IMR4064 in an old swede but w/ very low pressure as the action
Is over 100 years old. If memory serves 37 grains with 139 scenars.

Thanks for the info. I loaded up some rounds to do some testing but that was a couple of weeks ago, and I have not made it to the range to try them out. Work has been all consuming....

On a brighter note, I should be just a week or to from picking up my 6.5x55ai! Got word the stock has arrived. I am really shocked as it looks like this project is going to be complete in a total of about 6 weeks.

I just bought a box of 140 SST bullets that I will be trying real soon in my rifle. I will be trying both H4831 and RL 22.

Regards, Keith

Been,
I tried 48 grains of H4831 with a 140 grain Speer and the pressure was OK. At 49 grains I got to much case head expansion. Of course we are talking about different situations.

I do wonder why there was a lot of smoke. Never saw that one before.

Keith

No new load development for me yet, but acquired more bullets, powder and primers for my Reloading Cave. Makes for 3100 match grade bullets (1100 weight sorted in the brown box w/ baggies), 6k primers (3k CCI for AI, 2K Tula for Swede, 1k Fed210 for 308). 11lbs RL22, 17lbs Varget. Don't worry - I plan on burning through most all of it. Been running through RL22 like water.

pUeWgh3.jpg

vq0RMkS.jpg

1yDMZ5o.jpg

No new load development for me yet, but acquired more bullets, powder and primers for my Reloading Cave. Makes for 3100 match grade bullets (1100 weight sorted in the brown box w/ baggies), 6k primers (3k CCI for AI, 2K Tula for Swede, 1k Fed210 for 308). 11lbs RL22, 17lbs Varget. Don't worry - I plan on burning through most all of it. Been running through RL22 like water.

pUeWgh3.jpg

vq0RMkS.jpg

1yDMZ5o.jpg

You Hoarding Bastard!!!! I don't think most of the stores around here have that much in reloading supplies....

In all seriousness, I am jealous as hell, your bunker is awesome!

Quick update for me... All my parts have been at the smith for a couple of weeks now. Manners even turned around a custom stock order in about 4 weeks.... Thought that would be the hold up but no!

PTG sent the reamer without a go or no-go gauge so I have been on hold for about 2 1/2 weeks waiting on something that should have been shipped with the reamer originally. He got notification that the gauges shipped last Friday.... Hopefully gun will be ready shortly.

You Hoarding Bastard!!!! I don't think most of the stores around here have that much in reloading supplies....

In all seriousness, I am jealous as hell, your bunker is awesome!

Quick update for me... All my parts have been at the smith for a couple of weeks now. Manners even turned around a custom stock order in about 4 weeks.... Thought that would be the hold up but no!

PTG sent the reamer without a go or no-go gauge so I have been on hold for about 2 1/2 weeks waiting on something that should have been shipped with the reamer originally. He got notification that the gauges shipped last Friday.... Hopefully gun will be ready shortly.
I know, I never thought of myself as a hoarder until I looked at my stocks while waiting for this build to be done and BLM being closed for fire season. Only leaves me 600 yards at a paid range, so I'm not going through a box of bullets a weekend.

Hey Rusty, when I get my action in and start the waiting period I'll check if you're done with that AI go-gauge. I can split the cost/rent it from you instead of PTG if you want.

I know, I never thought of myself as a hoarder until I looked at my stocks while waiting for this build to be done and BLM being closed for fire season. Only leaves me 600 yards at a paid range, so I'm not going through a box of bullets a weekend.

Hey Rusty, when I get my action in and start the waiting period I'll check if you're done with that AI go-gauge. I can split the cost/rent it from you instead of PTG if you want.

It is cool with me but the smith I am using is keeping it and the reamer. I paid for half and he paid for half but the deal was, he would keep it when we were done. I don't know if you have someone picked out to do the work, but I have had a good experience with this guy so far. Here is a link to his web page: Meredith Rifles

He is on here occasionally as well.

It is cool with me but the smith I am using is keeping it and the reamer. I paid for half and he paid for half but the deal was, he would keep it when we were done. I don't know if you have someone picked out to do the work, but I have had a good experience with this guy so far. Here is a link to his web page: Meredith Rifles

He is on here occasionally as well.

I already own my PTG reamer. Just was going to source a go-gauge once my action came in.
I'm using Randall (AR15Barrels/700Barrels) - he does the work right in front of you. Make an appointment and 1-3 hour turnaround. He did my last 700 Swede, very happy with the work. I've been on the business side manufacturing for about 5 years and can lathe my own small things, and he does everything the legit way with legit tooling.

That is cool. Wish everyone would do the work right in front of you that way. I will talk to Tooter and see if he would mind parting with the gauge temporarily. I am not much of a salesman but maybe I can talk him into it.

That is cool. Wish everyone would do the work right in front of you that way. I will talk to Tooter and see if he would mind parting with the gauge temporarily. I am not much of a salesman but maybe I can talk him into it.

Nah, it's all good. I was only offering in case you owned it, didn't need it at that point, and wanted to share the cost.

I can just rent one, no probs.

If you have trouble coming up with one, just let me know. I have thought about just paying for the whole thing and keeping it for myself, but I don't know if it would be worth the cost.

If you have trouble coming up with one, just let me know. I have thought about just paying for the whole thing and keeping it for myself, but I don't know if it would be worth the cost.

Likely not. Only reason I got mine is its too specific of a reamer for my machinist to want one. Here in So-Cal there's not a lot of hunting and the majority of "operators" want short actions. I'd say 95% of all the builds I see down here are short actions.

From talking with this smith, he does a lot of ackley calibers. He had ordered a 25-06AI and a 22-250AI reamer and gauges with mine. He said he was just keeping them for "his shop". I guess there are more wildcaters around here than I realized.

I do think a 22-250 AI set up for 90gr bullets would be fun....

Hey guys,
I joined SH just to enjoy this thread...awesome to see so much Swede love. My setup is as follows:
Vz24 action
Douglas #6 contour 26" pipe
Bell and Carlson tactical medalist stock
Glass bedded
Bold Optima trigger at 2.5#
Vortex 6-24 starter scope...gotta get better glass

My current hunting load (in the PR of Kalifornia) is Barnes 100gr TTSX over 45.5 gr RE22, 0.050 off the lands...I'm at a lower velocity node but it does .45 MOA all day at 2750..

Not much data on Barnes 100gr...seems to be more of a 6.5G thing. I like it so far though, even with the slow powder. The next load I'm cooking up is Berger 140 hybrid over h4831 and h4530. Looking forward to the results!

I can tell from reading this thread that there is a ton of wisdom and experience out there for the Swede fan, and for that I thank all of you.