• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 tactical rifle

bkknupp

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
I have a LA Rem 700 that I would like to use to build a 6.5x55 precision rifle . I would like to get some info from guys on here that may have some experience with this caliber. The action will be blue printed and all other typical stuff when a custom build is done . I would like to finish the barrel at 24in. If you have any experience with this round , good or bad , I would appreciate your input.

I have built a 6.5 Swede on a 700 Long action...its not in a "precision" rifle platform. The customer I built it for gets sub MOA and used it to fill an elk tag last year.
Personally I own the ultimate 6.5 Swede Tactical rifle...M41B Swedish Sniper w/ the original Ajack scope. Several of us here in Cody have these rifles now and the accuracy is pretty good.

I think your idea is wonderful. Quite a few hide members shoot the cartridge. I think with a top line barrel used in a quality build you'll have a very nice rig. I'm not a short barrel kinda guy.....most of my rifles are at least 26" and my 6.5CM is 28". I can wring more FPS out of a load in most cases without burning more powder.

It's one of my favorite calibers. I have had 2 hunting rifles that shot great. Last summer I had a Rem 700la with a Bartlein med palma barrel built for my son. It is a sub 1/2 moa shooter with 139 scenars. Yesterday his 4 shot group at 1100 had about 6 inches of verticle.

Kevin

Give me a PM. I just finished a 6.5x55 GWI with it being definitely on the tactical side and would be happy to share my thoughts and what I've learned so far.

wow all of this interest in the 6.5x55 all of a sudden??? its great though, i have been shooting my customized m96 swede since 1986 i think was the year i did it.

I have a TacOps Delta-55 that is exactly what your describing. Give Mike a call and he can give you more info and if you have all the parts yourself then maybe it wouldn't be as long of a wait.

Great cartridge.

Be sure to consider brass availability, cost, and how you'll deal with leaving it behind in tacmatch scenarios.

Were I to do a 6.5x55, it would be one of the improved versions.

Great cartridge.

Be sure to consider brass availability, cost, and how you'll deal with leaving it behind in tacmatch scenarios.

Were I to do a 6.5x55, it would be one of the improved versions.

One of the advantages of the Swede is that the brass is Lapua's cheapest, along with .308. Still not super cheap, but cheap for Lapua. My hunting rifle is a Swede. Capacity is so close to 6.5 Creed and 260 Rem that performance is realistically a draw. You can hang the bullets way out there in a long action. I shoot a relatively light load pushing a 123 Amax to 2700 fps in a 22" barrel. I could get them going a whole lot faster, but it's so accurate and pleasant to shoot in the super light rifle that I see no reason to push it. One thing I will mention is that the Hornady dies I originally used were overworking and splitting the necks of my brass within a few reloads. I now use a Lee collet neck sizer and the brass lasts practically forever.

-Dan

For a long action 6.5, I think it's an ideal chambering. It resolves my only complaint with the .260 by furnishing that extra bit of case capacity it needs, without going overboard and burning up barrels faster than I'd like, as the 6.5-.284 can.

wow all of this interest in the 6.5x55 all of a sudden??? its great though, i have been shooting my customized m96 swede since 1986 i think was the year i did it.

Waiting on my mine to get finished in a Sako LA any day now. When I started putting this together literally a year ago it seemed no one mentioned this cartridge much. I didn't know much about it either until someone 'learned me' here on the hide. Nice to see more interest.

L

I just received my Criterion 24" barrel from Jim @ Northland yesterday in 6.5X55. Have my XLR chassis on order. Basing it all off a Stevens 200 long action. Looking forward to seeing what she'll do. Now to start saving for a scope.

I recently had Accurate Ordnance build a 6.5x55 on a L/A 700 for me. It has a Brux 1/8, 26 inch Med palma barrel and was put into a McMillan HTG Stock. I shoot the 140 Amax over H4831 SC and it shoots really well. I plan to hunt with it this Fall. I wish I had built this rifle many years ago. What's not to like about it, its faster than my 6.5 Creedmoor but not as fast as the 6.5-284.

Its a great tactical round. I have one in a HTG stock with a Kreiger barrel in a sendero contour. Its between the 260 and the 6.5x284 for ballistics. If you shoot it at 260 velocities you will get better barrel life because you can use slower burning powders. Great round!!

As stated above go for it. I had one built last year:

700 LA 40+ years old ( then blue printed ) 5ea 8-40 scope mount holes, Holland pinned recoil lug, Badger bolt knob, flutted bolt
30" Pac-Nor SS 1 in 8 twist Flutted, with mini muscle brake
Jewel Trigger
Atlas Bottom metal with AI 300 WM Magazine
HS PST026 stock
Near 30 MOA base, Burris XTR rings and a Sightron SIII 8-32 scope.

It shoots 140's and 95 V-max .25' groups . Its a laser. In July I will be going on a week long varmint hunt and it will be my go to gun. The guys at Straight Shooter Supply did it right.

In my circles, 6.5 Sweed is very popular. And now that 6mm is back in style in the US, it's getting more popular. I recall turning my nose up at a 6.6 Sweed about 20 years ago since it wasn't standard US MIL calibers.

I realize today how much of a tool I was then.

Grey hair will do that. Build with confidence.

TTR

I'm following this very interesting thread as I'm a recent convert and big fan of 6.5mm projectiles. I have a quick question - If I wanted to convert my Remy 700 in 30-06 to a 6.5x55 Swede, is the bolt face good-to-go as is?

I'm following this very interesting thread as I'm a recent convert and big fan of 6.5mm projectiles. I have a quick question - If I wanted to convert my Remy 700 in 30-06 to a 6.5x55 Swede, is the bolt face good-to-go as is?

Bolt face is the same.

L

^^Bolt face may be the same in the 700, but the cartridge size is not.
Base diameter: 6.5 x 55: 12.20mm(0.480in) for the 30/06: 12.0mm (.471in)
Rim thickness 1.5mm(0.059in) 1.2mm(0.049in)

^^Bolt face may be the same in the 700, but the cartridge size is not.
Base diameter: 6.5 x 55: 12.20mm(0.480in) for the 30/06: 12.0mm (.471in)
Rim thickness 1.5mm(0.059in) 1.2mm(0.049in)

They will feed from the same mags as well. I'm doing it now.

L

Smoke it

6.5x55 on Rem 700 LA
22" of Bartlein
140 AMAX, generous dose of H4831 - runs 3K, and I am not pushing it.
123 AMAX, generous dose of RL22 - runs 3200, this is a mild load too.

Chamber your barrel for laying your 140's wayyyy out there. Go to the range, see for yourself if the .260's hang. :)

They will feed from the same mags as well. I'm doing it now.

L

There is no doubt at all, by anyone that I know that would even suggest that they would not! There seems to be a big discussion regarding the truing of bolt faces and cartridge base fit, as it effects the fired brass/reloading, I'm glad to hear you're of the opinion it doesn't make any difference. How much variation in the bolt face is "too much" in your experience?

Can't comment on that one. Above my pay grade and experience. But I'd be curious to hear. I do know that Sako only made 4 bolt face sizes for this particular rifle I'm shooting. The 30-06 bolt is the same they use for the 6.5x55.

L

While the rim diameters are nominally different, my experience has shown that US made brass (Win and Rem, for example) are actually formed with diameters the same as .308, .30-'06, etc.

Past 3000fps? Depends on the bullet. Experience (again) has shown that pushing the 6.5 heavies (139-142gr) beyond 2850fps is generally counterproductive; precisely because it leads to early throat demise. The 6.5-284 shooters already know this, and my limited recollection on this suggests they get about 1200 good rounds out of theirs.

Pushing velocities is not a positive strategy. Regardless of velocities, they all get pushed around by wind, and a bad wind call will generate a bad POI regardless of velocity. Better to learn wind skills, and give that throat the benefit of your increased knowledge. The critical muzzle velocity is the one that will reliably deliver the bullet ontarget above the supersonic threshold, preferably 1300fps or so. More than that could be excessive.

These days, 1Kyd has become a common yardstick, but this is probably an artificial standard that has arisen long after cartridges like the Swede were first introduced as Sniper implements. Realistically, Sniper engagements generally take place at widely varying distances, typically unknown to any real precision, and generally well below the 1Kyd yardstick distance.

If you can't reach your target reliably supersonic without generating max loads, you are most likely using a cartridge with too little case capacity and/or too short a barrel. This reflects the admonition about being sure to bring enough gun. Going to the other extreme is just as bad, as heavy recoil can be counterproductive to the volume of practice that proper familiarization necessitates.

For example, my 28" .260 Rem was competitive, but not dominant, at 1Kyd.

For 1Kyd and beyond, my preferred chambering would be a .280 Rem (AKA 7mm Rem Express). It has enough case capacity to generate the needed velocities without generating throat churning temps and pressures. It also employs a commercially available case. Hobbling it with a barrel length of less than 26" is not useful, and 28" would be better; better for getting the full velocity benefit from that case capacity with needing to generate those wasteful temps and pressures.

Greg

Last edited:
Short action - anything in the 308 class but you can't take advantage of the case capacity. 6.5x55 is an intermediate cartridge not really intended for a short action but it will work and more often nowadays that's what you see in factory rifles.
Long action - anything in the 30-06/270 class.

L

Last edited:
I like the 6.5x55 round, but you can do more with a .473" bolt diameter in a long action. Go with a .280 Remington or .280 AI. They will smoke a 6.5x55, .260, or .30-06. It will also have GREAT barrel life.

The 6.5 bore allows for bullets with great BC's. The Lapua 144 is the heaviest "target" bullet I have found for the 6.5 Bore. If some bullet manufacturer would come out with a 165 grain 6.5 bore target bullet, I think the 6.5x55 would pretty much rule the roost. The long case would allow for plenty of room to stuff that long bullet into it, while still maintaining decent powder capacity. Although I really like my 260 Rem, using a bullet like a 165 grain target bullet (if available) would eat up much of my powder capacity.

The 6.5 bore allows for bullets with great BC's. The Lapua 144 is the heaviest "target" bullet I have found for the 6.5 Bore. If some bullet manufacturer would come out with a 165 grain 6.5 bore target bullet, I think the 6.5x55 would pretty much rule the roost. The long case would allow for plenty of room to stuff that long bullet into it, while still maintaining decent powder capacity. Although I really like my 260 Rem, using a bullet like a 165 grain target bullet (if available) would eat up much of my powder capacity.

A few years ago, I saw (maybe at Grafs?) some 6.5mm 166 grain Sierra Matchkings, listed as "special run - limited supply". I didn't have the money, or I'd have bought a box to try in my long throated Swede mauser.
I've never seen a single word or reference to those again. I am only guessing, but maybe it was a market test for Sierra.... or a prototype run, and they decided it wasn't cost effective to manufacture those little copper arrows. :)
And I think you're right... a bullet like that would let the 6.5x55 SHINE!