• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8 AR ?

Re: 6.8 AR ?

I'd stick with what I know works...DPMS (308,223,260,300 SAUM)

That said I don't get the 6.8. I recently sold my nice Model 8 Remington in 25 Remington (a necked down 30 Rem which the 6.8 is based on) and it had as good ballistics to a 6.8. Now for years the "experts" have told us that the 25 Rem & 25-35 were "marginal" deer cartridges so............

A 308 does so much more, so the 6.8 is a "why bother" proposition to be unless you have a ton of AR 15/M16 lowers gathering dust. In a bolt gun it makes no sense as the 260 or 7mm08 will blow it so far away you can't find it.

Seems like all we hear about is small (17 HMR) or big (458 Lott). Reminds me of 1950s Detroit iron "model year changes".

To paraphrase Finn: "If you're hunting in the lower 48 and can't kill it with a 308, you should take up golf."

Check out the 6.8 SPC forum. There's a lot of info there like what chamber, twist etc. Why not a 308 based AR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the 6.8 SPC forum. There's a lot of info there like what chamber, twist etc. Why not a 308 based AR? </div></div>

+1 My Dad lives on the 6.8 forum and lots of good info, www.68forums.com You will have to sign up to view, and its a lot of good guys like here but all about 6.8spc

Build your own. You will want a barrel from AR15 performance if your west of the Mississippi or Titan Armory if you are east of it. It is a joint venture. Latest and greatest barrel tech. Due to it not giving up much velocity with a short barrel I opted to build a 12.5" SBR. I had a WOA barrel available to me so I went with it. I would love to have one of their barrels however. Truly a very fun round to shoot from an AR. as already stated. 68forums is the place to go for all the info you want. Or you could get one built by them. The prices are more than reasonable. for what you get.

I have two 6.8mm's - LWRC and an AR Performance Upper with a Pac Nor Match 16" Barrel. I like them because they are light and easy to carry for hunting season. I also have a DPMS AP4 308 which is also very nice but a little heavier then the other two. They are both very accurate and are a joy to shoot. The ammunition is just a tad cheaper then 308 but not by much (19.38 for 110 SP at SSA) I used my 308 suppressor on the 6.8 and was very quiet and recoil was basically nothing. As far as the round – it will kill deer – I use the 110 SP and 110 Accubonds from SSA. Just talking about this makes me want hunting season to come more quickly.

AR15 Performance all the way he has a DMR chamber and Pac Nor barrel mine shoots very well