• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Photos 6.8SPC vs. 500-pound Russian boar

Re: 6.8SPC vs. 500-pound Russian boar

I dont see that hog as being 500 lbs but outstanding job, another one out of the gene pool, kill em all!

where'd you take her (state)???

great pic bud

Kinnamon

Nice hog! What are your rifle and cartridge specs? I've been wanting to take my AR platform hunting but CA has a .24" min requirement on deer and boar. I was wondering how the 6.8 did hunting.

O, he was 500. Added another picture to show his length. It also shows that one shot didn't drop him.

Rifle is a 6.8 loaded with 110-gr Sierra pro hunters. First shot was in the left ear (actually, about a 1/2-inch behind.) He went down squealing, then popped up and ran. I squeezed off another 7 before he went down for good, of those 7, 4 hit.

It was just over 100 yards, he was moving (faster than I'd have thought possible), and I was shooting off-hand.

This is the first hog I've taken with a 6.8 and the first hog I've hit in the head that didn't drop on the spot. My usual weapon of choice is a 300WM, but it's a bolt gun and I wanted to be ready for a small herd of piggies, so went with the auto. Whether or not it was a good choice, I cannot yet say.

Taken in south Texas, outside Refugio.

500 lbs?? and ya heaved him up over your shoulder with one hand with rifle in the other,, back to the truck right..?? haha.. just joking with ya.. but 6.8 is a sweet round.. took out a 170 lb sow at about 50yds.. broke both shoulders and spined her.. DRT...
url]

Those little ones are delicious, unlike the big nasties.

As for loading it in the truck, it took 3 of us, and we didn't make it on the first try.

My first round, I think, glanced off the back of his grape and came out the neck. It pissed him off and definitely caused problems with his equilibrium, but he managed to run a little longer.

Everything that went in one side came out the other, lots of wasted energy. I need bigger bullets or something that fragments better.

i'll try to find out what the guy loaded his 6.8 with.. we were on a night vision hunt.. my buddy got first shot and i had clean up with the 6.8.. the lil one went back to feeding on momma when she went down.. there were about five of em.. i reached down and grabbed that lil guy.. about pissed my pants laughing.. they didnt seem to concerned about me coming up to em.. again it was dark and we were using night vision..

Nice pig, I am still looking for the group next to my house. Pigs are good eating, and you should have plenty of meat for awhile.

Wrong round for a pig that size. You're just askin to get hurt. I've used only two rifles for pigs...my Rem 7600 .30-06 with 150g bronze point, and my Ruger .44 carbine with 240g semi-jacketed flat nose and 23.2 g of 2400. That's a hot round in the .44 carbine, but out to 100yds it thumps the crap outa the big guys. They don't get up. Never shot a pig more than twice. Few more than once.
I can't see 500lbs there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong round for a pig that size. You're just askin to get hurt. I've used only two rifles for pigs...my Rem 7600 .30-06 with 150g bronze point, and my Ruger .44 carbine with 240g semi-jacketed flat nose and 23.2 g of 2400. That's a hot round in the .44 carbine, but out to 100yds it thumps the crap outa the big guys. They don't get up. Never shot a pig more than twice. Few more than once.
I can see 500lbs there. </div></div>

When I see a swarm of 30, I have the right gun for one big one; when I see one big one, I have the right rifle for a swarm of 30: Murphy's law applies to hog hunting too.

But, in the end, he died - and it was very entertaining to watch.

Nice...Well I put an LMT upper on an AR....it the upper that accepts either the .223 or the the 6.8SPC barrel - pretty easy to swap out...18" if I recall...

I did not know the 6.8 would bring down a beast like that...what round did you use?

1 shot?

CountryBoy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CountryBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice...Well I put an LMT upper on an AR....it the upper that accepts either the .223 or the the 6.8SPC barrel - pretty easy to swap out...18" if I recall...

I did not know the 6.8 would bring down a beast like that...what round did you use?

1 shot?

CountryBoy </div></div>

8 shots, 5 hits (off-hand at just over 100 yards, and he was pissed and moving.)

The first was almost perfect. Almost. About 1/2-inch behind the ear - had it been in the ear, it would'a been one shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Everything that went in one side came out the other, lots of wasted energy. I need bigger bullets or something that fragments better. </div></div>

Have you tried the Barnes TSX? Bet it would do the job nicely.... Nice score on the hog!

well that is onw hell of a pig. congrats.

Scott

I was sitting in a blind bow hunting 100 yards directly BEHIND the pig when he shot it. I can say that the SOUND of a 6.8 being fired directly at you is sort of discomforting (even with the supressor).

He knew he was going to take crap from me either way:
1. He would make a great first shot but still lose the running pig as he trotted off, or
2. It would take 8 shots to kill the pig.

He was right! Regardless, the beast is at the taxidermist, and I can say that the pics don't do this thing justice. It is large and beautifully ugly. It will go well on his wall, and I'm proud of my hunting buddy.

Sweet Piggy! I hope to add to the kills for that upper, soon.

Great to meet you, RC!

Semper Fi!

nice looking pig. i must say even with the pics of it length wise you are looking at 350ish still. they feel a lot heavier than they are. i have pics of a 412 lb boar i killed on the scale and it looks a LOT bigger than that. nice hog either way though!

WOW!!! Nice Hog broe. It had to be quite an adrenaline rush with that big pig, specially after he got back after you shot em in the head/back! Congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong round for a pig that size. You're just askin to get hurt. I've used only two rifles for pigs...my Rem 7600 .30-06 with 150g bronze point, and my Ruger .44 carbine with 240g semi-jacketed flat nose and 23.2 g of 2400. That's a hot round in the .44 carbine, but out to 100yds it thumps the crap outa the big guys. They don't get up. Never shot a pig more than twice. Few more than once.
I hunt hogs every day in oklahoma because our ranch its over ran by hundreds if not thousands(said the gamewarden). Its not about the caliber that you use its more about the accuraccy. I use a custom ar-15 5.56 and with cheap ass wolf ammo i can drop them every time the first shot. I sometimes even use my .17hmr

Spleen: are you sure about that? I've been researching that very question as I just moved to Pasadena from NY and all I've been able to find is that .223 is not recomended for taking pigs, nothing about it being illegal. By the way, if you're interested, next time you go on a pig hunt, if you want an extra body give me a shout, I've never been hogging (other than bars lol) and have been wanting to for years.

500lb my ass hahahahaha you would be lucky if it were evin 200

No way that animal is 500lbs. My Tibetan Mastiff would have taken up almost as much length on that F-150 as that pig and he was 130lbs. I would say 250 is more like it and that's being generous.

Damn nice pig, regardless of what it weighs-and it does look big.

Private hunt or open property. I'm in north Tx.

I OWN a pig. A Vietnamese pot belly. She (Petunia) is a little over 200lbs as weighed by the vet. The pig the OP shot looks to be about twice the size of mine. I don't know if it is 500lbs, but it is a BIG SUCKER and he should be proud. Who ever said it is not 200 does not know pigs.
P.S. NO you cannot eat my pig! :)

Nice hog, although I'm with the others, no way he's 500 pounds. I've shot plenty of hogs, and trapped plenty of hogs, and no offense to you, but I just don't see that pig weighing 500 pounds. I've seen lots of 250-300 pound pigs take 3 pretty good size guys more than one lift to get in the pickup. Nice job though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat088</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice hog, although I'm with the others, no way he's 500 pounds. I've shot plenty of hogs, and trapped plenty of hogs, and no offense to you, but I just don't see that pig weighing 500 pounds. I've seen lots of 250-300 pound pigs take 3 pretty good size guys more than one lift to get in the pickup. Nice job though </div></div>I just bow shot one a few weeks back that was 375-380. He was a bit bigger than the one here in the truck, but not by much. I'd say he could go 300+ easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong round for a pig that size. You're just askin to get hurt. I've used only two rifles for pigs...my Rem 7600 .30-06 with 150g bronze point, and my Ruger .44 carbine with 240g semi-jacketed flat nose and 23.2 g of 2400. That's a hot round in the .44 carbine, but out to 100yds it thumps the crap outa the big guys. They don't get up. Never shot a pig more than twice. Few more than once.
I hunt hogs every day in oklahoma because our ranch its over ran by hundreds if not thousands(said the gamewarden). Its not about the caliber that you use its more about the accuraccy. I use a custom ar-15 5.56 and with cheap ass wolf ammo i can drop them every time the first shot. I sometimes even use my .17hmr </div></div>Sure, when you're only shooting the hundred pounders. Did you read the part where he was getting through and through's? Sometimes you don't have the luxury of "placing your shot", and if you know so much about pigs, then you know a wounded one can -and will, if given the opportunity- rip you to shreds. Just because you "can" shoot them with a .223, or a .17, doesn't make it right, or smart.

I have to correct my first post...there was a pig or two I shot more than twice, this one in particular:
I got bitched out by the local game warden one year, because I shot a pregnant sow, 'bout 200lbs, with a .223...damn pig just wouldn't go down even though I was blowing her to pieces. No knock down power as I emptied a Mini into her. Long story short, the game warden didn't like the "carnage", so I told him, "hey Mike...next time I'll use BIGGER BULLETS."
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bow shot one a few weeks back that was 375-380. He was a bit bigger than the one here in the truck, but not by much. I'd say he could go 300+ easy. </div></div>

Well, I could always be wrong, always kind of hard to tell just from a picture. This is a 210 pound hog. http://www.bowhuntingnorthamerica.com/im...0_pound_pig.jpg . Then this second photo is a picture of a 385 pound hog, http://www.bowhuntingnorthamerica.com/im...20pig%20500.jpg . He looks about the same size as the first pig, and not as big as the second pig, that's just the way my eyes interpret it. So either way, I'd say he's not over 385, which is a great deal away from 500 pounds. Maybe he said it as a joke to get some people to look, or be sarcastic, I don't know.

You do have a responsibility to make a clean humane kill.
Keep in practice, use the correct weapons and ammo for a clean quick kill. You owe the animal that.

Carnage is barbaric, and it is our responsibility as men to see that carnage does not happen.

Personally, I do not kill for entertainment any longer. I once did, but changed my philosophy after recognizing that most animals are much smarter than we give them credit for, and such should not be hunted for sport or entertainment. Thats my personal philosophy and I do not mean to inflict it on anybody.
I only hope to raise the level of awareness and increase personal responsibility of hunter.
Off soapbox.

He died in a loud and not comfortable way.

Hogs are destructive, they destroy crops, they drive away indigenous game, they create very expensive problems for land owners. I have been asked to shoot every hog I see, whether it dies immediately or not is irrelevant.

I am an ethical and humane hunter, but screw the hogs, if it takes 1 round, great, it it takes 7, I'm OK with that too.

How big he is (was) doesn't translate well to the photos, I made no attempts to make him look bigger (fish-eye, close-ups with other objects in the far away and such), he is what he is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He died in a loud and not comfortable way.

Hogs are destructive, they destroy crops, they drive away indigenous game, they create very expensive problems for land owners. I have been asked to shoot every hog I see, whether it dies immediately or not is irrelevant.

I am an ethical and humane hunter, but screw the hogs, if it takes 1 round, great, it it takes 7, I'm OK with that too.

How big he is (was) doesn't translate well to the photos, I made no attempts to make him look bigger (fish-eye, close-ups with other objects in the far away and such), he is what he is. </div></div>

Amen brother, Im drinkin the kool aid!!