• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 Dasher Brass question? Peterson

Phill/Drifters

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2019
Cheyenne Wyoming
I was wondering if anyone out there had had any experience with Petersen Dash brass. I have 500 pieces of Alpha on order.
But I am curious about the Peterson and the SD and ES You all were getting with Petersen brass and Varget pow thanks

Also interested in this. Grafs has bulk packs of Peterson Dasher brass available right now, but Alpha just came out with the new OCD Dasher brass which is supposed to be an improved design, but will be a little bit of time until it's available at retailers.

I have 500 pieces of Dasher brass i got from peterson couple months ago. i just got my dies and everything yesterday so i will be loading this up and testing it soon.

124623744_410652756762989_8085675548689086148_n.jpg

Reactions: Phill/Drifters
Timmeh6mm have you measured the neck wall thickness on any of them? Lapua 6br formed seems to sit right at .013.

yea i had 10 pieces of Alphas OCD cases also and i got readings from .014 - .0145 on both cases so they're very similar

i forgot which was which but on was about .0015 - .002 longer than the other

Reactions: mthomas001
I just got some from Grafs and it comes packed in a ammo holder (50 count) with foam in the top. Very nice and no dented case mouths. I have not loaded any yet but the neck thickness is 13.5-14 thousandths. My lapua is all 13.

I’m on my 2nd firing of around 500pcs of Peterson dasher brass.

So far it’s run well. Every now and then I get a very, very slightly heavy bolt lift. I never got anything at all with lapua. Will see if gets better, or if I develop a clicker, I might have to get a different sizing die. So far, nothing that has cause any hitches in any matches or practice.

I had issues right out the gate with Alpha dasher and 6gt brass. Coincidentally those are the two they are releasing their new “optimized case head.”

The alpha was a no go. Peterson so far is just slightly less impressive than Lapua. But definitely close enough to be worth not having to form brass.

Peterson necks are about .014. I have a .272 chamber, so I turned the necks back to .012-.0125. I have tools to turn necks very fast, so not a big deal.

If you’re just starting dasher and want to use Peterson, get a .274 or .275 neck reamer.

So far, good enough to keep going.

I’m on my 2nd firing of around 500pcs of Peterson dasher brass.

So far it’s run well. Every now and then I get a very, very slightly heavy bolt lift. I never got anything at all with lapua. Will see if gets better, or if I develop a clicker, I might have to get a different sizing die. So far, nothing that has cause any hitches in any matches or practice.

I had issues right out the gate with Alpha dasher and 6gt brass. Coincidentally those are the two they are releasing their new “optimized case head.”

The alpha was a no go. Peterson so far is just slightly less impressive than Lapua. But definitely close enough to be worth not having to form brass.

Peterson necks are about .014. I have a .272 chamber, so I turned the necks back to .012-.0125. I have tools to turn necks very fast, so not a big deal.

If you’re just starting dasher and want to use Peterson, get a .274 or .275 neck reamer.

So far, good enough to keep going.

What were your issues with the Alpha brass?

Good info Dthomas!!! I have found the Peterson brass to be beefy indeed!! I am on my 8th firing w XC and seem to have a donut inside the case just above the shoulder junction. Not slighting the brass for that issue at all.

I just posted about my results and testing on this topic here

Dthomas do you feel that the Alpha brass was sticky on the bolt lift because of a thick base?

I think it was more to do with the hardness of the case head. Same thing with 6gt.

They just released “optimized case heads” in those two options. So, that’s a clue. And hopefully it works out well now.

I think it was more to do with the hardness of the case head. Same thing with 6gt.

They just released “optimized case heads” in those two options. So, that’s a clue. And hopefully it works out well now.
Nice thanks for the info. To my knowledge they (Alpha) is the only company making factory standard 6 Dasher Brass (as opposed to 6 Norma Dasher), so keep us in the loop on how the new stuff works - thanks again!!

Nice thanks for the info. To my knowledge they (Alpha) is the only company making factory standard 6 Dasher Brass (as opposed to 6 Norma Dasher), so keep us in the loop on how the new stuff works - thanks again!!

Peterson makes dasher brass now as well. Have been running it for about 600 rounds (2 firings in most) without issue.

Peterson makes dasher brass now as well. Have been running it for about 600 rounds (2 firings in most) without issue.
I apologize for my ignorance here, but the little that I know about 6 Dasher as I understand it is that the standard dasher has the shorter neck and the 6 Norma Dasher has the longer neck (therefore requiring a different reamer). So the Peterson dasher has the standard (shorter) necks? Thanks again!!!

I apologize for my ignorance here, but the little that I know about 6 Dasher as I understand it is that the standard dasher has the shorter neck and the 6 Norma Dasher has the longer neck (therefore requiring a different reamer). So the Peterson dasher has the standard (shorter) necks? Thanks again!!!

Yes, it’s the shorter neck. And no prob

I have some in the px. It is consistent and fires well. Different loads than the lapua which I have been using.

FYI, I’m on second firing of my 500pc and still working perfectly fine!
34grn
h4350
@2860 FPS

Awesome Timmeh6mm!!! Can't wait to try Peterson 6 Dasher! They need to get more active in PRS. Now is the time. With components being so scarce, not having to fire-form 6br Norma to Dasher is massive (and it takes two firings to get it right). By the way 4350 for Dasher, love it!! Is it shooting well?

I sent my fired 6 dasher alpha brass to Warner Dies for an insert and he said the alpha brass neck thickness for it and the 6GT was so inconsistent, some of the worst he had seen. Wasnt inspiring. Went back to lapua brass for 6D, but sticking it out on the 6GT. Moved my 6CM from Akpa to Lapua after hearing that.

Awesome Timmeh6mm!!! Can't wait to try Peterson 6 Dasher! They need to get more active in PRS. Now is the time. With components being so scarce, not having to fire-form 6br Norma to Dasher is massive (and it takes two firings to get it right). By the way 4350 for Dasher, love it!! Is it shooting well?
Yessir,I switched from 6CM and I had like 20lbs and saw 4350 would work fine. And Im not The best group shooter but I got a .3 out of it and I have avg...
SD - 4
ES - 12

I can only speak for 6Creed but I’m on my 10th firing of Peterson brass right now and it shows no signs of giving up anytime soon. I put it right in line with Lapua brass. Fantastic stuff.
As an aside, I accidentally got a piece of Hornady brass mixed in when I was annealing and figured it out when the Hornady piece damned near melted at the temp/speed I was annealing the Peterson stuff. It was glowing orange when it dropped. Reminded me of just how beefy this stuff is.