• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

600 yd Accurate bolt rifle

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
If you were to build a bolt rifle for benchrest accuracy out to 600 yards or so, what would you build? I have a 338 Lapua, will have the 6.5 SAUM, Krieger barrelled mk12 mod1 and a few others but want something to shoot tiny groups out to 600 or further. I'm thinking a 6mm Creedmoor or something around that caliber. What works well?

Alan

.308 175 grain Sierra out of a good rifle with good scope and you will be hitting the target at 600 yards all day long

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

6br or improved version.
I shoot 30" barrelled Savage 6BR - great trigger and stock tracks very well. In Oklahoma the winds like to switch and twitch so I am thinking about opening it up to 6BRX.

.308 175 grain Sierra out of a good rifle with good scope and you will be hitting the target at 600 yards all day long

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm burned out on 308. I shot probably 10k of them the last few years. In fact I had 1500 through my GAP last year and it's now getting rebarrel into 6.5 SAUM. I was gonna go with the GAP 10 6mm creedmoor, but want anther GAP bolt rifle, just not sure of what caliber yet. I just shot the Lapua this morning at 1000 and posted a nice group at 1000. Just want something smaller and really accurate.

Alan

I've never had good luck with a 6br repeater. 6xc might be better for that application.

That's why I was leaning towards 6xc or 6 creedmoor. I don't know much about these calibers though so I've been reading a lot of threads on here.

I agree with red. I have a custom 260 & 7saum. big horns w/a-5 stocks. And a single shot 6br. I like the 6br so much that I'm getting an Eliseo repeater built .
at our local matches, if the wind aint howling, the 6br is tough to beat. Real long barrel life, easy to tune, super accurate. a lot of
records have been set with it. not a lot of punch left at 700.

.260 REM will get you there with great accuracy and long barrel life. Get a Palma profile barrel(or something else with a straight taper[no taper] at the breach) and you can chase your throat wear for a little while too to maximize your barrel life.

Alan was asking about br accuracy out to 600. 260, 6cm, 6xc, 6x47 aint got it beat for ACCURACY, or, barrel life.
They will all beat the snot out of it in the wind though.

Yep, 6mmBR will have much better barrel life. Look at all the 600 yard BR records that have been set with the round. They speak for themselves.

As far as feeding it can be done but if all you're doing is shooting targets, why?

What about a 6mm Dasher? Does anyone have any experience with one set up as a repeater?

look at Gary Eliseo,s 6br chassis. mag feeding br animal. I'm doin it because most of the tactical matches out hear go out to
900 yards, with 80% being inside 600. Most of the time the D.A. is also 8000 ft here and in N.M. in the summer. Helps a bit.

Seems 6mmBR is most recommended. I guess I should have worded the original post different. I won't be shooting it benchrest, just looking for a caliber for putting tiny groups in paper. I shoot prone mostly, but wouldn't mind having something to enter in some local groundhog matches, etc. 6mm creedmoor with the factory brass available seems one of the better options. There are just so many 6mm and 6.5 calibers out now that I'm not sure if one stands out above the rest.

I had over 5000 rounds down the tube of my single shot before it started to slow down.
it's getting a new tube as we speak. Beanland will do the Eliseo.

6xc or 6.5x47 would probably be the best bets ASIDE from the 6BR. you just cant touch it for sheer accuracy at reasonable distances.

chuck

look at barrel life, longest shot a your local club, average wind. Brass life on the br is outstanding as well.
I shoot mine prone at matches. and p.d. fields. I like it cause barrel life is a non-issue, ain't real hungry for powder,
and the 105 hybrids have a great b.c. If it's real windy, it stays in the car.

6br or a 6 dasher will out shoot any of the 6 cm or 6.5cm at 600 yards on a consistent basis you probably won't find a more accurate round for shooting at that distance period.

Thanks for all the replies. Last night at work I did a lot of reading on the 6mm Dasher and that's exactly what I'm looking for. My only question though..can these be used with a magazine fed rifle. I'd like to have one built on a mcmillan a5 but am unsure of any magazine issues. I read where some guys say it can work, others say no go.

Alan

Thanks for all the replies. Last night at work I did a lot of reading on the 6mm Dasher and that's exactly what I'm looking for. My only question though..can these be used with a magazine fed rifle. I'd like to have one built on a mcmillan a5 but am unsure of any magazine issues. I read where some guys say it can work, others say no go.

Alan
Alan, the Dasher is a pain in the ass, just so you know. My 6 Creed shoots wonderful groups at 600yds, only thing is, the vertical is a bit better than the horizontal, due to of course wind and me not being able to shoot fast in the same conditions because I opted for the AICS mag instead of a tray, my next build is going to have the benchrest tray and Ill be able to rap off 5 shots in no time, the dasher and like cartridges probably wont feed as well as the 6 Creed will, but if you're going to be shooting 600BR you'll want the tray(Score Hi benchrest follower)

The 6 Dasher would be king.
105 bergers with varget fire forming will shoot better than you could imagine. Easiest cartridge to load for you will ever find.

If you want a repeater go 6.5x47

Accuracy in both is crazy good!!!

I've been told the 6 Dasher will work mag fed. I never really read much about it until last night and now I wanna try one! I'm fine with single feed, but would be nice to have the option of 3-4 in a mag if needed. I dont shoot benchrest, just prone with rear bag but want something like this now. I would probably do some Fclass with it too. Still some research is needed..the fireforming doesn't bother me at all. I just prepped some brass for my 6.5 SAUM the other day. It should be here soon too!

Alan

I love my 6 Creedmoor! First target is 760 yards and the next is at 600 yards. This rifle is just fun to shoot, no recoil!

Attachments

• 6 cm 600.jpg
    6 cm 600.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 14
  • 6CM 760 yds.jpg
    6CM 760 yds.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 25
6CM.
-Screw fire forming.
-Brass availability.
-30deg. shoulder.
-105 Hybrids @ 3150fps.
-6.2 mils/1k @ 2000da.
-Easy to load for.
-Feeds from a mag.

It doesn't need any special treatment. Load and shoot.

Last edited:
6CM.
-Screw fire forming.
-Brass availability.
-30deg. shoulder.
-105 Hybrids @ 3150fps.
-6.2 mils/1k @ 2000da.
-Easy to load for.
-Feeds from a mag.

It doesn't need any special treatment. Load and shoot.

Like he said, have fun fireforming the Dasher. Like I said, it's a pain in the ass.

A pain in the ass?
What's hard about loading 30.5gr of Varget into virgin brass with .003" neck tension and .030" into the lands and pull the trigger?

The 6BR and Dasher both feed well from a short action magazine. One common follower to use is 6.8spc.

I don't really mind brass fire forming, etc. I have a 6.5 SAUM from GAP that should be getting finished up soon to get loads worked up for. That involves some brass prep that I never did before the other day. I actually don't mind at all. Once I get that worked out, I'll contact George for this last build...Seems I keep saying I'm done buying them lol

I don't really mind brass fire forming, etc. I have a 6.5 SAUM from GAP that should be getting finished up soon to get loads worked up for. That involves some brass prep that I never did before the other day. I actually don't mind at all. Once I get that worked out, I'll contact George for this last build...Seems I keep saying I'm done buying them lol

Alan, what configuration will this new rifle be, tactical, F-class etc?

I like the tactical styles. I have two right now that are pretty much identical. 338 Lapua and the 6.5 SAUM have mcmillan A5 Gap Camo, badger DBM, etc. so I'm thinking it will be along the same line as those. Not really sure, still kicking around ideas..oh decisions, decisions :) haha

I wouldn't say fire forming is the end of the world. I prefer not having two loads and sets of data just to reach my end game. maybe on a hunting rifle it would be ok.

That 6.5 SAUM is going to be hard to beat, unless you just want another rifle.

Yea, the SAUM will be hard to beat, and I can't wait to get a chance to run it :) I just wanted another build based off of something for pure accuracy yet in a tactical platform. I guess a "sleeper" BR haha :). So, I guess I just want another rifle. Fireforming 100 brass is not a big deal to me at all if the 6Dasher is anything as accurate as the claims I've read.

Happy Thanksgiving! It's about time for me to go to work.

600 yards with a 130 grain Berger Hunting VLD in 6.5x47 Lapua in a SAC rifle = 2.4" groups "all day long", boringly accurate......lol

Here are some typical groups with a crosswind with my 6 Creedmoor shooting the 105 Hornady HPs, as you can see the vertical is pretty decent, once I learn to deal with the wind and or shoot faster it should all come together a bit tighter, can't wait to try the DTACs at this range next year. My best 600yd group was this past Aug, 3.5". Won't have that target til the first match of the season.
Xdu2gmA.jpg

There's no better round for that than 6mmBR. Look it up.

+1 on this. Almost no recoil. This is the king of BR. Easy to do and wins many matches since it came out.
Lapua brass is fenomenal, like always but the 6 BR got to be one of the most efficient cartridges if not the most efficient and consistent ever devised.