• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 62GR vs M855

Dustoff82

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
Texas
I know that these bullets are slightly different. What im wanting to know, is how close in trajectory terms would a 62grn round pushing 2970fps would be compared to a m855 pushing about the same?

We use the M855, Win 62gr HP, 62 gr Fed FMJ for training. Our duty load is the Federal 62 gr bonded SP. Our normal qualification range is 50 yards and in. I regularly have the Agents shoot out to 200 yards on both steel and the NRA 200 yard center. Tactically speaking from the Rock River the loads seem to be very comparable.

If you're looking to evaluate as MOA difference I'm not sure the M855 is capable of the accuracy past 100 yard.

I ask because I cant use m855 for 3-gun and I am looking at buying a scope that is calibrated for the m855.
Thanks for your reply and service!

Well I can tell you, with an ACOG Remington 62 grain bonded and Speer 64 GDSP were spot on out to 500m. I wouldn't run a fixed power optic for 3-gun though. I ran a Trijicon 1-4 with 45 degree irons.

For the scope that you're planning on buying, does is have a velocity listed that will match up with the reticle? If you work up a load with the same velocity, it will be close.

For what it's worth, I'm shooting 62 gr for 3-gun at the moment. My velocity is only about 2875 fps while maintaining 1 MOA.

M855 and M193 are surprisingly close:

AR-15 Trajectory Graphs - AR15.Com Archive

pg9s5r0xl5.jpg

If you get the velocity right, most 62gr loads should also follow the M855 trajectory closely enough for use with a BDC reticle.

Thanks for the info y'all. I'm looking at getting the matlrk 6 1-6 with 5.56 reticle

If you're looking to evaluate as MOA difference I'm not sure the M855 is capable of the accuracy past 100 yard.

In a match grade rifle I think you would be surprised. I don't know if you are familiar with NRA or CMP High Power rifle course, but I have shot clean scores for 20 shots sitting, at 200, and prone 300 yd NRA target, timed rapid fire. Standard ATC High-power course of fire, with an A2 NM rifle with iron sights, and have seen the 600 yd target shot clean for 20 rds as well with M855. it's not match ammo by any means but it certainly isn't crap ammo either in capable rifles. the M855A1 is supposed to be even better.

The rounds I'm using are listed at 3020 fps. I don't know what their test barrel was tho.

Whats the M855 do to AR500 steel? I know its not AP but I've been hesitant to use M855 as a cheap alternative on club steel assuming it would leave divots. Steel is at 200 yards and 300.

Sorry for the diversion.

M855 on AR 500 at 200 and 300 will usually just "peen" the surface but its not the target a lot of clubs are concerned with, its that wicked little hardened penetrator. The regular fmj, sp and hp ammunition just explodes into powder and fragments. The steel doesn't.

While the peening of the surface is not really that bad most clubs don't like to risk the damage to expensive targets.

Just a note 5.56 generally does more damage to steel than .308, 30-06 ect. due to the high velocity and small point of impact.

M855 on AR 500 at 200 and 300 will usually just "peen" the surface but its not the target a lot of clubs are concerned with, its that wicked little hardened penetrator. The regular fmj, sp and hp ammunition just explodes into powder and fragments. The steel doesn't.

While the peening of the surface is not really that bad most clubs don't like to risk the damage to expensive targets.

Just a note 5.56 generally does more damage to steel than .308, 30-06 ect. due to the high velocity and small point of impact.

Thanks for the heads up. Not worth trying it. I really appreciate that the club put the steel out there and I'm not going to screw it up.