• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

69 gr SMK VS. Nosler

2ac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Seattle
I have recently acquired a Centurion Arms SPR barrel and am working on a load for it. As I rarely have an opportunity to shoot past 200 yds I've settled on a 69 gr bullet for now. I do realize that I will have to try everything first, as every barrel is different. I'm just wondering if anyone would care to share their experiences between Nosler's 69 gr HPBT and the 69 gr SMK. I do believe the barrel I'm using has been "optimized" for the Sierra bullet, it's just that the Nosler's appear to be nearly identical, but more cost effective.

Re: 69 gr SMK VS. Nosler

You might also look at the 63 grain Sierra Semi Point.

Nearly identical results between SMK and the Nosler CC's in my RRA 20" Varmint. I just look for whichever is cheaper.

I have gotten less weight variance in the sierra bullets but really how much difference is a few tenths of a grain guna make at 200 yds

my CZ 527 Varmint 9 twist really loves the 69 SMK in LC brass,CCI 400 primers and 25 grs Varget at 3060 fps,,it will average less than .5 at 100 and I have shot some less than 5 inch groups at 600 with it,

You might also look at the 63 grain Sierra Semi Point.
g.gif

If you are shooting on paper for score The sierras will be the better bullet. Other than that the Noslers shoot just fine for a tad bit cheaper.

I've never been able to tell the differenc betwixt SMK's and Noslers on paper but that's my experience. I've gone to shooting the Noslers exclusively due to the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1lnbrdg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never been able to tell the differenc betwixt SMK's and Noslers on paper but that's my experience. I've gone to shooting the Noslers exclusively due to the price. </div></div>

I would have to agree. I even went to the Hornady 68 gr BTHP's.

I shot 69 SMKs in NRA Service Rifle competition for years and switched to Noslers due to price. My scores are the same. I've been shooting a lot of .30 175 Noslers as well, again, same results as the Sierras.

i cant tell a bit of difference in my 20 in bushmaster they both work well.

I've loaded up a few 60 gr v max's to try. I'm also going to pick up a box of Nosler's to try, I too couldn't tell the difference the last time I loaded them for my Colt 1/9. I'll have to look into the 63 gr semi-points too.

Thanks for the input gentlemen, and keep it coming. Maybe someone with my specific barrel would also like to chime in.

I shoot highpower and use 69 Nosler Custom Comps with 24.5 grains RL15. tack driver load. I use the same for 200/300. for 600 and 800,900, and 1000 with my RR NM I just go with the 80 grain Nosler Custom Comp. Same 24.5 grains RL 15.

all with Lapua brass

works for me and is simple.

My particular NM didnt like the 77 at all.