• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6br dies

Matt15598

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
This may be a dumb question but here it is. I am new to the 6br and am looking for dies. I will be using Lapua brass. All I seem to find are dies marked 6br Remington. It is my understanding that this is a smaller case dimension than the 6br Norma. Can anyone help me understand what I'm looking at? I don't have the means to get custom ones made. Thanks

The 6br Remington dies are correct. A bit confusing yes.
However - I suggest sending 3 pieces of fired brass to Harrels and getting a fitted FL bushing sizing die. They are only $80.

Then I’d look at Any micrometer seating dies from the major players. I prefer Forster.

I use the rcbs match master sizing die on my .223 and it’s pretty handy with the little window to drop the bullet into before seating

Whidden has full sets. IIRC the difference is in chamber dimension, not case dimensions.

So if I get a die that is labeled as 6br Remington I would just set it up and run it like I would any other set.
Whidden has full sets. IIRC the difference is in chamber dimension, not case dimensions.

Would that then either over or under work the brass?

It is my understanding that this is a smaller case dimension than the 6br Norma
That is not correct. The chamber dimensions are the same, the throat length is different. Norma spec has a longer throat to accommodate heavier projectiles. However, even within the 6mmBR Norma, there are variations in reamers pertaining to neck dimensions. The original neck dimension is considered a "No-Turn-Neck" where it chambers production Norma and Lapua brass without neck-turning (thinning).

Your 6mmBR Remington dies are the correct die for your application with standard Lapua brass. If you used a "tight-neck" reamer, you will need to turn the brass and use a bushing die to get the proper neck tension. More than likely, your chamber is a standard 6mmBR Norma, unless you specifically asked for the tight neck typical of benchrest competition.

Last edited:
I have Forster, Redding and newly tested SAC 6BR dies...

If you want the best, get the SAC 6BR... The fit and finish are WAY above your normal Redding, Forster, Whidden, etc... Coated so no rusting, and the finish inside the die is like a mirror. I sized 300 1x 6BR pieces of brass last week and they sized like butter. If you really want to finish it off, get their The Seating Die as well. I did some side by side with my Forster Ultra seating 50 bullets. The Forster leaves a slight ring, the SAC not a mark on the bullet and runout across 50rd was .001 or less. Very happy with this new die. The variance of seating depth measured from base to ogive was .001 on 5 bullets and .0005 on the other 45rd. Just amazing.

Thanks for the help everyone! This is the most confusing caliber yet. Way more so than the .223 vs 5.56 vs .223 wyld

Reactions: padom
We are making more Precision Resizing Dies right now. We also have a new resizing die that I'm prototyping right now. It will match the theme of "The" Seating Die by being modular and not cartridge caliber specific. For example, if you shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor, "The" Sizing Die will allow you to have one sizing die that has interchangeable neck/shoulder bushings. So a Creedmoor die can be used with 22 Creedmoor up to a 338 Creedmoor simply by changing out the neck/shoulder bushings.

So the Precision Resizing Dies will be cartridge/caliber specific and "The" Sizing Die will be cartridge/body specific.

Mark.

We are making more Precision Resizing Dies right now. We also have a new resizing die that I'm prototyping right now. It will match the theme of "The" Seating Die by being modular and not cartridge caliber specific. For example, if you shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor, "The" Sizing Die will allow you to have one sizing die that has interchangeable neck/shoulder bushings. So a Creedmoor die can be used with 22 Creedmoor up to a 338 Creedmoor simply by changing out the neck/shoulder bushings.

So the Precision Resizing Dies will be cartridge/caliber specific and "The" Sizing Die will be cartridge/body specific.

Mark.
Very interesting. I too am looking for 6BR dies. Pricing please.
Thanks, John