• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6bra or 6 dasher

6bra or 6 dasher

• Total voters

Tony1320

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Chambering a new barrel would you go 6bra or 6 dasher and why?

105gr bullets

Lapua brass

The BRA is more efficient and you can easily use Lapua brass. Fireforming is trivially easy, unlike the Dasher.

Reactions: drshoot
BRA. Fireforming is super simple and benchrest guys think it produces more consistent brass than Dasher fireforming. Longer neck gives more flexibility for seating depth. I'm getting a really accurate node at 2920 fps with 105's from 31.5 gr Varget in a 26". That can be slightly beat by Dasher but isn't worth the brass trade-off imo.

BRA no contest. It hits the node without a pressure issue. The Dasher also hits that node but with a lot of space left in the case and it can't reach the next node up without serious pressure issues. While the Dasher will shoot well the BRA wins.
If you have to get into that next node up just go with a 6X47

Reactions: drshoot
I've gone through several barrels of both Dasher and BRA. In terms of down range performance I think you'd be hard pressed to see any difference between the two, I tend to run them at the same speed (mid high 2800's, sometimes low 2900's with a 105).

I think the BRA has the advantage in efficiency (less powder), a bit less throat erosion, fireforming brass if you want to run Lapua, and it seems like my BRA barrels have held on to accuracy a bit longer than my Dasher barrels (anecdotal, not definitive). Could just as easily run a straight 6BR and get more of the same benefits. :)

That said, my last couple barrel orders were for more 6BRA barrels, no plans to order another Dasher barrel at this point.

Still at the smith, but I recently chose the BRA because.

1) Load Lapua brass and shoot.
2) Case is maximized for that speed "node" so no real velocity difference going Dasher.
3) Longer neck for bullet seating and easier on throats.

I already shoot 6xc and 6cm, so BRA was the most reasonable step down to perform inside 600ish yards. 6 Dasher didn't give anything more.

I also like the Ackley improved elements generally. Especially in the BR sized case, it gives me everything I want inside 600ish yards, and will push out reasonable to 1000.

I am gonna run it in a hunting rifle and PRS rifle.

i dont know why but peterson brass seems to preform a little better than lapua...at least in the 6+ BRAs at our matches...2 guys were have issues getting them to shoot like they should and only change was from lapua to peterson...dont get me wrong lapua shoots but the peterson seems to have a small edge.

The BRA is more efficient and you can easily use Lapua brass. Fireforming is trivially easy, unlike the Dasher.

I use new BR brass to speed up a new barrel, but you can use to practice too. My 6 BRA shoots sub-half MOA with pre-fire-formed BR brass. "Trivially easy" is a pretty good description, I would maybe add "and fun" to the end of it.

Last edited:
I also like the Ackley improved elements generally. Especially in the BR sized case, it gives me everything I want inside 600ish yards, and will push out reasonable to 1000.

Mine prints very small groups inside 1000. Obviously, being a slightly slower 6, it gets impacted by wind a fair amount. That said, the first time I shot past 1k was in ~15-20 mph winds from 10:00. I got 6 hits out of 10 on at the 1500 yard target my friend was shooting at with his 338. If my buddy hadn't had a a good spotting scope, I'd never known whether I hit or not. The target simply didn't move.

My only complaint with the rifle is that it's too easy to shoot and I blow through way too much ammo way too quickly :)

Reactions: hereinaz
I’ve had good luck with the dasher just got a new barrel and am trying alpha brass. Hopefully see the same results as i did with lapua fire formed brass.

Ive got a Dasher and It has worked well. That said the next barrel will be a BRA. Just easier and I wont be so upset when I lose a case :)

If you shoot a lot, backing anything down to around 2800 will improve your consistency and lessen recoil a bit. Most of the top shooters have either slowed down or are in the process.

The downside is the .1 or .2 wind difference at distance. If you shoot a fair amount, this won’t matter much. If you don’t shoot a lot, it could be the difference in quite a few impacts.

I’m running 2790 and it’s much more consistent than when I was running 2950-3100 depending on cartridge.

If you shoot a lot, backing anything down to around 2800 will improve your consistency and lessen recoil a bit. Most of the top shooters have either slowed down or are in the process.

The downside is the .1 or .2 wind difference at distance. If you shoot a fair amount, this won’t matter much. If you don’t shoot a lot, it could be the difference in quite a few impacts.

I’m running 2790 and it’s much more consistent than when I was running 2950-3100 depending on cartridge.
Truth 👆I have a 6 creed barrel if I want to run hard and fast.

Good read with good opinions. Looking to order a 6bra, 6 dasher or 6gt shortly. Was leaning hard on the bra and this helped! Thanks

BRA... Basically the same ballistics in what I feel is a (marginally) better inherently designed case (longer neck) with stupid simple fireforming. The fireforming loads are something I would shoot a local match with and are certainly acceptable for range time.

I went through this a couple of years ago when looking for my first 6mm.

Both well shoot excellently, and I'm sure you would be happy with either. Both require the same mag requirements, and both shoot similar velocities. It's the subtle nuances that separate them.

For me, the ease of fireforming was probably the biggest argument for the 6BRA. No fuss, no split necks, and the fireforming loads are extremely accurate. It's essentially a 6BR the first time you FF that brass, then you have extra velocity. No need to jam bullets, create false shoulders, worry about split necks, etc. One last bonus is Lapua brass.

At the end of the day, there isn't a whole lot of differences, just some subtle ones that may or may not matter. Both are capable of shooting tiny groups, and are known for consistency. Both have specific requirements to mag feed properly.

Reactions: straightandtrue
Flip a coin really.

For me, I lean towards Dasher. Why? Because I find I can run a larger variety of powders with it (H4895, RL-15, Varget, IMR4166, H4350, RL-16, IMR4351). In the current state of reloading components, I find being able to use more, and specifically some of the slower powders to be beneficial. I don't push speed (mid 2800s with 105) so I am able to get desired velocity with the slower powders before running out of room in the case. YMMV

You could go Norma dasher and take advantage of the longer neck as well.

Reactions: 47guy
I'm not familiar with that one. What is the difference between it and a dasher?
Looks pretty damn close to a BRA
Accurate Shooter Link
And Another
1603208452785.png

"The 6BR-DX–Specs and Load Development
The 6BR-DX is an improved version of the 6mm BR Norma cartridge, with a 40° shoulder. The shoulder is .462″ (just a couple thousandths bigger than a standard case) and the diameter at the web is .470″. 6BR-DX water capacity is about 39.5 grains. That’s about 1.5-2.0 grains more than a standard 6BR case, depending on your chamber. That extra two grains is enough to give the case performance nearly on a par with the 6mm Dasher or 6 BRX, with the 85-95 grain bullets. This case will drive those pills plenty fast. I’m able to run the Berger 95s at 3200 fps, pretty much as fast as you can push them with a Dasher.

But compared with a short-necked Dasher, fire-forming the 6BR-DX is much easier. It’s very simple in fact. After turning the necks to .262″, we simply load the cases with a good “full-power” load for a standard 6BR and fire. Creating a false shoulder or doing other tricks is not necessary."

Last edited:
Reactions: 47guy
Looks pretty damn close to a bra
Accurate Shooter Link
View attachment 7449884

"The 6BR-DX–Specs and Load Development
The 6BR-DX is an improved version of the 6mm BR Norma cartridge, with a 40° shoulder. The shoulder is .462″ (just a couple thousandths bigger than a standard case) and the diameter at the web is .470″. 6BR-DX water capacity is about 39.5 grains. That’s about 1.5-2.0 grains more than a standard 6BR case, depending on your chamber. That extra two grains is enough to give the case performance nearly on a par with the 6mm Dasher or 6 BRX, with the 85-95 grain bullets. This case will drive those pills plenty fast. I’m able to run the Berger 95s at 3200 fps, pretty much as fast as you can push them with a Dasher.

But compared with a short-necked Dasher, fire-forming the 6BR-DX is much easier. It’s very simple in fact. After turning the necks to .262″, we simply load the cases with a good “full-power” load for a standard 6BR and fire. Creating a false shoulder or doing other tricks is not necessary."

exactly.

Man, I cant keep up with all these 6mm cartridges. Seems lik you are really splitting hairs between all the br based cartridges.

Man, I cant keep up with all these 6mm cartridges. Seems lik you are really splitting hairs between all the br based cartridges.

They all do the same shit. Send a 6mm @ 2775-2950 and do it well.

Pick one. Or pick them all if you like variety. It’s all the same shit.

Reactions: 702lineman
They all do the same shit. Send a 6mm @ 2775-2950 and do it well.

Pick one. Or pick them all if you like variety. It’s all the same shit.
Man, I couldn't agree more. I doubt anyone could shoot the difference between them.

Why not the 6 creed or 6x47 or 6 GT? Seems like they feed better and deliver same/better performance....am I not understanding something?

Why not the 6 creed or 6x47 or 6 GT? Seems like they feed better and deliver same/better performance....am I not understanding something?

I believe the desire for them is the large nodes of accuracy, in a much more efficient cartridge, slightly better barrel life, longer life on the brass, longer necks.

I currently have a 6 creed and it shoots lights out but finally got the itch to try the br based calibers and will be ordering one soon enough. Not to replace the creed but to accompany it lol

I shot both and ended up keeping BRA. For me it was easier and quicker to fireform BRA. I had fully formed brass in 2 firings, dasher took 3x. I also had to do more steps to get dasher ready to form. BRA was just load & shoot, dasher needed long seat or false shoulder. I liked the slightly less powder and longer neck for barrel life, wasn’t much but I got a few more on BRA. Sure you could use other brands of brass but is there much better then Lapua? For me not.
Velocity window was the same
Accuracy for me was near identical, phenomenal
Barrel life, BRA was a bit more
Less powder in BRA
BRA Longer neck if you wanna long throat and still have grip
I made my own dies so that wasn’t an issue for me but I’d venture to say probably more offerings in Dasher

Reactions: kthomas

Not the same/better performance. Feeding isn’t an issue with mag kits (people with feeding issues haven’t tuned their rifle). And the 6gt isn’t as perfect feeding as advertised. Plenty of rifles still need tweaking or the rounds tapped forward for 6gt.

I’ve run them all and 6br based cartridges are just more consistent in the long run. And very efficient with powder.

In fact, my Lone Peak Fuzion feeds my dasher with aw mags smoother than it does 6x47 with aw mags.

Now that Peterson Dasher brass is available you're a small step ahead of the BRA since you can buy brass ready to go out of the box. If you're fine going under 2850 with a 105, straight BR all the way. I've run a Dasher for over 3 years now and don't want to change, as well as want to be able to shoot 109 and 110's at 2880-2930.

Reactions: Ben17 and nrspence
Now that Peterson Dasher brass is available you're a small step ahead of the BRA since you can buy brass ready to go out of the box. If you're fine going under 2850 with a 105, straight BR all the way. I've run a Dasher for over 3 years now and don't want to change, as well as want to be able to shoot 109 and 110's at 2880-2930.

i shoot 109s at 2900-2920 out of a BRA and can run them up to 2950ish before any real pressure signs...im not saying one is better than the other.

I shot both and ended up keeping BRA. For me it was easier and quicker to fireform BRA. I had fully formed brass in 2 firings, dasher took 3x. I also had to do more steps to get dasher ready to form. BRA was just load & shoot, dasher needed long seat or false shoulder. I liked the slightly less powder and longer neck for barrel life, wasn’t much but I got a few more on BRA. Sure you could use other brands of brass but is there much better then Lapua? For me not.
Velocity window was the same
Accuracy for me was near identical, phenomenal
Barrel life, BRA was a bit more
Less powder in BRA
BRA Longer neck if you wanna long throat and still have grip
I made my own dies so that wasn’t an issue for me but I’d venture to say probably more offerings in Dasher

When fire forming BRA brass is the shoulder formed enough to be at full capacity after the first firing?

Reactions: trophyhunter
When fire forming BRA brass is the shoulder formed enough to be at full capacity after the first firing?
It is, it’s mostly formed but on 2nd firing the shoulder body junction is sharp. On 1st firing I could see a roundness and the shoulders weren’t fully grown yet. I think it wasn’t till the 4firing when I realized where my shoulders actually sat. If I had started bumping on 1 or 2nd firing I would’ve prematurely bumped .003” extra, not good for pressure or case life. But during all this I shot them in matches and were stupid accurate. Even forming cases I was shooting it in matches.

Reactions: nrspence