• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BRA

Zack G

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2019
I have 2 barrels that just came back from PVA chambered in 6BRA. I’m currently fire forming 500 PCS of Peterson 6BR brass with some 107 SMKs. My fire forming load seems pretty mild @ 29.5 grains of varget and a 20thou jam. They are shooting fantastic (sub 1/2MOA) but I wanted to know what the ideal combination would be once fire forming is complete. If you have experience with this caliber let me know why you’ve landed on and how it performs for you. The format below would cover all the questions one might have and give a valuable resource for anyone looking to jump into this neat little cartridge. Thanks in advance

Bullet
Brass
Powder/ charge wt
Barrel length/ manufacturer
Velocity results
Accuracy results

Reactions: rookie7
You shouldn't have to jam brass to fireform it with the BRA. The shoulder neck junction on regular 6BR cases will be tight in the chamber when fireforming. The AI case design pushes back the 40 degree shoulder to make fire forming easy.

Reactions: Zack G and kthomas
Agree that you don't need to jam. My forming load is 29.6 of H4895, so a little hotter than you're running, but it's still decently below max - don't think it matters much either way.

Curious as to why you're forming so much brass and not using Lapua.

Agree that you don't need to jam. My forming load is 29.6 of H4895, so a little hotter than you're running, but it's still decently below max - don't think it matters much either way.

Curious as to why you're forming so much brass and not using Lapua.
I have 2 identical barrels, so I’m not too concerned with decreasing the life during the fire forming process. Does Lapua make factory BRA brass?

You shouldn't have to jam brass to fireform it with the BRA. The shoulder neck junction on regular 6BR cases will be tight in the chamber when fireforming. The AI case design pushes back the 40 degree shoulder to make fire forming easy.
Thanks for the feedback I thought you would need to jam the bullets during fire forming. This is my first AI caliber so thank you for letting me know.

I have 2 identical barrels, so I’m not too concerned with decreasing the life during the fire forming process. Does Lapua make factory BRA brass?

No - they make BR brass and you still need to form it. I use the forming to speed up the barrel then use that brass for the life of the barrel and repeat.

No - they make BR brass and you still need to form it. I use the forming to speed up the barrel then use that brass for the life of the barrel and repeat.
That makes sense, I was planing on putting 100-200 rounds through each barrel to get the speed up then work up my final load from there