• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6GT current loads and progress

Tagging along, strongly considering this for another bbl for new build!

Reactions: MachoMan
When I got my 6 GT, I pretty much threw 40 grains StaBALL 6.5 into the cases (thrown with the Hornady powder measure that came with my first press, not using my AutoTrickler) and seated Berger 105 Hybrids at a depth I got from a Facebook group. I didn't optimize jack shit. That gave me groups around 0.6 MOA and an SD across twenty rounds of ~14. Not sure I'm going to be motivated to do any load development for a while with that rifle.

edit: on the second firing this started to show a lot of pressure signs, heavy bolt lift, ejector swipes.

Last edited:
33.5 grain Varget under just about any 105 is a good starting load for your first 150-200 rounds. After that look in the 34-35 grain area.
My current loads in two different 26" 6GT barrels are at 34.3gr and 34.5gr under a 109 Hybrid, Hornady brass and CCI 450's, 2951fps and 2925 fps respectfully.

I worked up loads for both the 112 Match Burner using Varget and the 115 DTAC using H4350 based on what others had done. Both shoot very well, under .5 MOA. Now I'm doing a round of seating depth tests with a lower powder charge (33.5 instead of the 34.1 I did my initial test with) on the 112's from 0.020 to 0.110 off the lands to see if what I heard about larger jumps is true. Just something to do...

34.2 grains of Varget @3020 with a 105 hybrid,CCI 450 .025 off.
Ballistic-X-Export-2020-03-29 17:59:19.090821.png

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_142250340.jpg
    IMG_20200214_142250340.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 241
IMG_20200321_171525139.jpg
IMG_20200321_171353497.jpg

Varget vs Shooters World.

Shooters world shot great but I hit pressure before I could get the velocity that Varget gave me.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I don’t mean to revive a dead thread here. But I’ve made it through my 400 pieces of alpha brass and when initially priming them they were super hard. Now after 1 firing they feel like a Lapua case after 5 loads. Anyone experienced the same? Kinda kicking myself for waiting so long and paying a premium for this brass. I ran 32.5 varget under a 108 eld for 150 rounds and then did a 50 round ladder from 32.5-35gr settled like everyone else at 34.2. I have a little primer flattening at 35 but that’s only 5 cases. Also What barrel lengths are y’all at? I did a 24” and only get 2915 with a 108. Albeit a VERY VERY VERY CONSISTENT 2915. Either I’m getting better at load devopment or this has been easier than a Creedmoor. Even my break in 32.5 had 7ish sd over 10 shot groups on a new barrel.

I don’t mean to revive a dead thread here. But I’ve made it through my 400 pieces of alpha brass and when initially priming them they were super hard. Now after 1 firing they feel like a Lapua case after 5 loads. Anyone experienced the same? Kinda kicking myself for waiting so long and paying a premium for this brass. I ran 32.5 varget under a 108 eld for 150 rounds and then did a 50 round ladder from 32.5-35gr settled like everyone else at 34.2. I have a little primer flattening at 35 but that’s only 5 cases. Also What barrel lengths are y’all at? I did a 24” and only get 2915 with a 108. Albeit a VERY VERY VERY CONSISTENT 2915. Either I’m getting better at load devopment or this has been easier than a Creedmoor. Even my break in 32.5 had 7ish sd over 10 shot groups on a new barrel.

Yes. All alpha I’ve run we’re very tight primer pockets with virgin brass. Same with necks. Lots of friction even when expanded properly. Alpha recommends dry tumbling with polish to alleviate this. I never tried the tumble method.

Second firing everything feels normal.

Yes. All alpha I’ve run we’re very tight primer pockets with virgin brass. Same with necks. Lots of friction even when expanded properly. Alpha recommends dry tumbling with polish to alleviate this. I never tried the tumble method.

Second firing everything feels normal.
I don’t know if mine feel normal. They feel soft now. I guess I’ll see if they have any leakage

I don’t know if mine feel normal. They feel soft now. I guess I’ll see if they have any leakage

If your primer pockets in lapua feel soft after 5 loads (the comparison you made), something is wrong.

If your primer pockets in lapua feel soft after 5 loads (the comparison you made), something is wrong.
Maybe “softer” is a better example. I just feel like my alpha brass’s pocket should haven’t have softened that much after 1 firing, especially on reduced loads

tag for later, appreciate the intel. I'm patiently waiting on a barrel

View attachment 7293994View attachment 7293995

Varget vs Shooters World.

Shooters world shot great but I hit pressure before I could get the velocity that Varget gave me.

Almost everything I see about Shooters World Precision seems to suggest it is more temperature insensitive and has lower SD and ES. It seems to be a better powder if you're okay with sacrificing a small amount of velocity.

Random question:

I know Hornady brass is generally considered not that great compared to Lapua, Alpha, etc., but it's also significantly cheaper.

Anyone have any opinions on using Hornady brass and just buying new brass more often? I assume brass life is the main problem, but the cost difference offsets that when you can just buy new brass.

Just something I'm considering while trying to decide between going with Dasher or 6GT...

I've only used Hornady brass. I just run a mandrel through it, load, shoot. SD and ES are both single digit with virgin brass, BR4, RL16and 105 hybrids. If I lose a couple pieces of brass at a match, I don't waste much time looking for a piece of .70 brass.

Random question:

I know Hornady brass is generally considered not that great compared to Lapua, Alpha, etc., but it's also significantly cheaper.

Anyone have any opinions on using Hornady brass and just buying new brass more often? I assume brass life is the main problem, but the cost difference offsets that when you can just buy new brass.

Just something I'm considering while trying to decide between going with Dasher or 6GT...

Pretty easy to do the math.

Figure out how many firings you’ll get vs each.

You also have to include brass loss if you shoot matches. I lose 3-10 pcs per match.

Also, dasher needs to be formed unless buying alpha. I personally just switched back to dasher from gt as dasher is more consistent for several reasons for me.

Almost everything I see about Shooters World Precision seems to suggest it is more temperature insensitive and has lower SD and ES. It seems to be a better powder if you're okay with sacrificing a small amount of velocity.
I heard it meters like crap though. Even through charge masters etc. I’d like to try that blackout one they have though.

Random question:

This Hornady GT brass was fairly consistent as far as weight. I use the Hornady brass in both the GT and Creedmoor because I normally loose it before it wears out and has always served me well.

Reactions: mxjoe35
DThomas3523 - I read a lot of your posts and value your opinion ...I’m torn between a 6 Dasher and 6GT for my next build. Can you share your experiences with both and why you went back to the Dasher? I was set on a Dasher, started reading more about feed issues for PRS, changed my mind and was going GT until I read you switched back. Thank you.
Pretty easy to do the math.

Figure out how many firings you’ll get vs each.

You also have to include brass loss if you shoot matches. I lose 3-10 pcs per match.

Also, dasher needs to be formed unless buying alpha. I personally just switched back to dasher from gt as dasher is more consistent for several reasons for me.

DThomas3523 - I read a lot of your posts and value your opinion ...I’m torn between a 6 Dasher and 6GT for my next build. Can you share your experiences with both and why you went back to the Dasher? I was set on a Dasher, started reading more about feed issues for PRS, changed my mind and was going GT until I read you switched back. Thank you.

It didn’t work for me as expected. I have been told that it must be a carbon ring or a tight bore from the barrel manufacturer. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

6cm, dasher with lapua, 6x47, 6.5x47, etc all work fine for me. So, regardless of the reason, I’m sticking to what works for me.

Ive never has feeding issues with dasher and mag kits.

Reactions: kindabitey
It didn’t work for me as expected. I have been told that it must be a carbon ring or a tight bore from the barrel manufacturer. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

6cm, dasher with lapua, 6x47, 6.5x47, etc all work fine for me. So, regardless of the reason, I’m sticking to what works for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience...something I’ll watch out for if I go the GT route.

What do you mean, exactly? It wasn't accurate for you?

Worked up loads with RL16, H4350, and Varget with varget being the clear cut winner. 34.5 seems to be what a lot of other shooters I shoot with have for a node, mine as well is 34.5 behind 105 hybrids, 109 hybrids, and 110-A tips. Found another good nose with the 105’s at 33.8 varget. All single digit SD’s and tight groups.

Just adding a data point here, but I'm running the same - 34.1 under 108s at 2915. Same experience on my Alpha brass with the pockets.

I had another good node at 2950 with 34.6 grains but started piercing primers with this heat.

Just adding a data point here, but I'm running the same - 34.1 under 108s at 2915. Same experience on my Alpha brass with the pockets.

I had another good node at 2950 with 34.6 grains but started piercing primers with this heat.
I haven’t shot mine 100 round since the initial development. How many firings do you have on your alpha cases now? Do they kinda hold true to the initial softness of so they keep getting softer?

I haven’t shot mine 100 round since the initial development. How many firings do you have on your alpha cases now? Do they kinda hold true to the initial softness of so they keep getting softer?
I'm only on the second firing of each piece so I dont have much to offer yet. That said, I'm not sure I'd say soft but the primers are easier to seat on this go around. I wouldn't say they are 'easy' to seat yet (or anywhere near loose - think federal 308 brass with a few firings haha), just not as difficult as the fresh brass. I'm honestly not sure if its the brass, the caliber, or the chamber - but it does feel easy to size and doesn't look beat up after firing or measurably growing after sizing.

I will say I was impressed how the brass was able to 'spring' back after firing - as in a fresh bullet wouldn't drop in to a fired case. Shooting partner also has a 6GT but with the Hornady brass and I asked him to check, he was able to drop a bullet in a fired piece of brass. Not that this means anything for either, just interesting.

I'm only on the second firing of each piece so I dont have much to offer yet. That said, I'm not sure I'd say soft but the primers are easier to seat on this go around. I wouldn't say they are 'easy' to seat yet (or anywhere near loose - think federal 308 brass with a few firings haha), just not as difficult as the fresh brass. I'm honestly not sure if its the brass, the caliber, or the chamber - but it does feel easy to size and doesn't look beat up after firing or measurably growing after sizing.

I will say I was impressed how the brass was able to 'spring' back after firing - as in a fresh bullet wouldn't drop in to a fired case. Shooting partner also has a 6GT but with the Hornady brass and I asked him to check, he was able to drop a bullet in a fired piece of brass. Not that this means anything for either, just interesting.

Thicker brass and tight neck?

I think what I’m most impressed with is the consistency I haven’t shot a load with with an unacceptable es. And I load on a progressive lol. I have to neck turn my Lapua brass is other calibers to get it that good. So even if I only get 5-6 firings out of this stuff I think it’s worth it in time alone

I’ve had awesome results with 6GT as well. Found a low node at 34.0 gr Varget, Berger 105s, Hornady brass, 0.020 off back in January on a new Stuteville Precision 26” MTU Bartlein barrel

Never changed load or seating depth since then. 1,300 rounds later, decided to do a ladder test out of curiousity. Here were the results

33.9 gr 2,992 fps
34.0 gr 2,993 fps
34.1 gr 2,992 fps
34.2 gr 3,005 fps
34.3 gr 3,010 fps
34.4 gr 3,017 fps
34.5 gr 3,028 fps
34.6 gr 3,030 fps
34.7 gr 3,031 fps

1,300 rds later, my low and high nodes stayed the same. Pleasantly surprised and will continue to run 34.0 gr Varget. I’m confident any one of the loads above will shoot. Even more interesting is that the ES between 33.9 gr and34.7 gr is less than 40. As much as I’m tempted to do a bullet seat test, I’m already pretty damn happy

I hate to be the cheap ass here, but is anyone using the hornady match 105s? I'm not finding as much stock of 6mm projectiles as before this covid frenzy, considering a change to 6gt and a buddy has 500 of the 105s I can get cheap-ish. Thoughts?

I hate to be the cheap ass here, but is anyone using the hornady match 105s? I'm not finding as much stock of 6mm projectiles as before this covid frenzy, considering a change to 6gt and a buddy has 500 of the 105s I can get cheap-ish. Thoughts?
I used them for break in/ fireforming in a bra barrel they shot fine. My only advice in the 6mm/6.5 market is stay away from nosler rdf I’ve had nothing but trouble with those. Also blue collar reloading has Berger 109’s and 105’s in stock and a ton of em.

I’ve had awesome results with 6GT as well. Found a low node at 34.0 gr Varget, Berger 105s, Hornady brass, 0.020 off back in January on a new Stuteville Precision 26” MTU Bartlein barrel
Both my 6GTs like 34.0 as well. Also using Berger 105s and Hornady brass. 2980 out a Bartlein, 3010 out of a Krieger.

Does anyone know of a source for Hornday 6 GT brass ?? I know MidSouth has it in 500 lots, {bulk} but 500 is a bit to much.
ALSO, I would like to buy about 5 "used up cases" that I can use to check seating depth's for a few bullets and make "dummy rounds" for when ordering a Bbl.
If you have any yo are about to retire please send a PM

Thank you

Does anyone know of a source for Hornday 6 GT brass ?? I know MidSouth has it in 500 lots, {bulk} but 500 is a bit to much.
ALSO, I would like to buy about 5 "used up cases" that I can use to check seating depth's for a few bullets and make "dummy rounds" for when ordering a Bbl.
If you have any yo are about to retire please send a PM

Thank you
Check GAP (GA Precision)

they just posted that have a bunch available

Last edited:
When I got my 6 GT, I pretty much threw 40 grains StaBALL 6.5 into the cases (thrown with the Hornady powder measure that came with my first press, not using my AutoTrickler) and seated Berger 105 Hybrids at a depth I got from a Facebook group. I didn't optimize jack shit. That gave me groups around 0.6 MOA and an SD across twenty rounds of ~14. Not sure I'm going to be motivated to do any load development for a while with that rifle.
Good to know, I have 8lbs of staball and nothing to load it in. Was thinking about a 6gt for an action I have.

Alpha Santa Claus sent me a present... Just used a mandrel and loaded them up.
dRKhFcj.jpg

7 rounds of H4350 @ 2858 fps with 109 - new Hawk Hill bbl. Hoping it will speed up to 2900. Still experimenting...
lNx5kgl.jpg
Did the same to mine had incredibly consistent results

Reactions: NiteQwill
Alpha Santa Claus sent me a present... Just used a mandrel and loaded them up.
dRKhFcj.jpg

7 rounds of H4350 @ 2858 fps with 109 - new Hawk Hill bbl. Hoping it will speed up to 2900. Still experimenting...
lNx5kgl.jpg
Do you think you’ll stick with the 4350 for your gt? I’m considering making the jump, but I have 0 varget and a lot of h4350 from my 6creed.

Reactions: Huckmeat
Do you think you’ll stick with the 4350 for your gt? I’m considering making the jump, but I have 0 varget and a lot of h4350 from my 6creed.
I'm in the same boat. I have tons and tons of H4350 and only a handful of Varget. Given the results, I may just stick with what I have so far unless someone else says otherwise. Plus, I've been told that Varget is more prone to a carbon ring.