• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BRA Load development

Hell, I use to run 29.9gr of 4895 in my BR. Never had problems even on hot days.

Reactions: Billiam1211
For me: 30.6 H4895 = 2950
ADG brass, 28” Bartlein, Wheeler 272 no turn BRA, Berger 105 Hybrid
(So you’re not too hot)

As an aside, I just started using Bart’s Hammers and it takes .1 more for same speed and .2 MIL more at 1000.

Reactions: Billiam1211
Don't rule out H4350! Im running 33.7gr behind 105hyb seayed 30k jump, i have 140 freebore so no powder crunch even with powder at base of neck. Heres a test I ran at 300y 4 shot groups. Velocity was 2910-2930 with 33.4-33.7gr. 33.7 shot the smallest group I've ever put on paper at 300y, 0.09 moa. Obviously all these charges would work as all under 1/3 moa grouping. I had best es at 33.4gr. I'm sure I could tighten it up with the barrel tuner.
20220807_070705.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-08-06 19:49:55.108447.png

Haven't really had the chance to shoot much this year, I went and had kids and stuff. Finally managed to sneak in a range trip with my BRA to practice some positional shooting and managed to print this miracle group at 600 yards - according to Ballistic X it's around an 1 in. I switched over to Varget with the 107 SMK and Alpha Brass. Also tried 105s and 108 ELD-Ms, they all shot well but for some reason the 107s just keep printing extra tiny groups so I'll keep em. Rifle is shooting stupid accurate right now, I just need to get out and shoot :|

Attachments

• 2022-11-23_10-30-28_485.jpeg
    2022-11-23_10-30-28_485.jpeg
    914.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I am about to start reloading 6mm BRA. Has anyone here tried running 30.0 gr of varget and a 105gn-110gr bullet?

Thank you, I’m new to reloading but I want to run it pretty mild and stay around 2800-2850.

I am about to start reloading 6mm BRA. Has anyone here tried running 30.0 gr of varget and a 105gn-110gr bullet?

I'm running 30.6 of H4895 with Berger 105s, which is a faster burning powder than Varget. When I played with Varget, I was at 32+. Why the desire to run slow? If you wanted to run in a lower velocity range, the straight-up 6BR would be a better choice.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
If you wanted to run in a lower velocity range, the straight-up 6BR would be a better choice.
I’m curious why you suggest that? For mag feeding or just lack of faff?

I ran 8208 mostly, but 30gn of varget in BRA is a safe starting point.

I’m curious why you suggest that? For mag feeding or just lack of faff?

I ran 8208 mostly, but 30gn of varget in BRA is a safe starting point.

The main reason to go with a BRA over a BR is to pick up extra case capacity for either velocity pickup or the ability to more effectively use heavier projectiles (or both). Both are essentially the same as it relates to consistency (excellent). If you use Lapua brass, and you want to use Lapua brass, you "pay" for the BRA by having to fireform. Not that it's a heavy price to pay, but it's an extra step you have to go through.

Mag feeding doesn't come into play if you have the right action and mags.

30gr of Varget is indeed a very safe starting point, but I would use that as a starting point for a ladder to determine your best and max loads, and possibly to fireform, not a starting point for something to go out and shoot on a regular basis.

The main reason to go with a BRA over a BR is to pick up extra case capacity for either velocity pickup or the ability to more effectively use heavier projectiles (or both). Both are essentially the same as it relates to consistency (excellent). If you use Lapua brass, and you want to use Lapua brass, you "pay" for the BRA by having to fireform. Not that it's a heavy price to pay, but it's an extra step you have to go through.

Mag feeding doesn't come into play if you have the right action and mags.

Fair and reasonable. I also like the 40* shoulder, if for nothing else than lack of trimming. Aside from the one time fire form, I don't really see a downside to the BRA. Oh, I guess straight BR has factory ammo...

Aside from the one time fire form, I don't really see a downside to the BRA.

This is true and why I chose BRA over BR as well - but now, take advantage of everything the round has to offer. Don't be one of those guys who buys a 'vette and never takes it above 55 :)

EDIT: For anyone reading this post cold, another "downside" is that some actions have issues with mag feeding the BRA and other steep-shoulder cases. If you're considering this round, do an internet search to see if other people with your same action have any issues. I use a Deviant and have zero problems.

I want to run it slower to avoid pressure and shorting the brass life. I figured if I wanted to get to 2850 in a straight BR with a 109 in a 26in barrel I’d have to step on it a little.

Also haven’t reloaded before and I havent found a reloading manual with bra in it. I’m just trying to keep its safe. I think I’ll try a ladder test from 30.0-31.0 just to see where that gets me.

I’ve run 30gr of Varget over a 105 in last two barrels. Both 26” Hawk Hill and run 2785-2800 depending on temp. Both shoot tiny groups and easy on brass so no reason to change IMO.

Reactions: Mrindecisive