• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BRA

If you’re worried about $30/500 when you shoot probably a $5-8k rifle. You probably spend at least 1000$ in range and match fees annually. Your priorities are pretty backwards. The difference in Bullets is less than $150 per barrel.

I get your point, however, you doing a whole lot of assuming.

I watch Brownells for coupons. Last batch of 105 Hybrids (2 Mar) I got at $139.80 per 500 delivered--10% off and economy shipping was $4.95. All came in same lot.

One nice thing about Brownells, their return policy is pretty solid. If you get a bunch of different lots, you can return them...

At that price, since they shoot so well, for me, its not worth the time/effort/samll cost difference to chase Sierra 107, 109 ELDMs etc.

ZY

Last edited:
Dusted off my old 6BRA barrel that I haven't shot in a year to make some practice rounds. Threw together a random light load with spare components that I've not tested before.

2350 rounds down the barrel
105 Hybrids
1.785 to ogive, probably jumping 40 thou.
30.1g H4895
205M primer
2787 fps SD 3 ES 10 6 shots (26")

6 shots into 0.3 MOA, including cold bore.

Dusted off my old 6BRA barrel that I haven't shot in a year to make some practice rounds. Threw together a random light load with spare components that I've not tested before.

2350 rounds down the barrel
105 Hybrids
1.785 to ogive, probably jumping 40 thou.
30.1g H4895
205M primer
2787 fps SD 3 ES 10 6 shots (26")

6 shots into 0.3 MOA, including cold bore.
Yours is slow like mine

Yours is slow like mine

I think it was the powder, which has been sitting in the garage for several years. Just an odd lot single 1# jug. This barrel was 2900 with 30.6gr of the main lot of H4895 that I've used and 2950 with 31.6 of Varget. It's lost maybe 25 fps from original velocity, based on last time I shot it with the original lot of powder a year ago.

I think it was the powder, which has been sitting in the garage for several years. Just an odd lot single 1# jug. This barrel was 2900 with 30.6gr of the main lot of H4895 that I've used and 2950 with 31.6 of Varget. It's lost maybe 25 fps from original velocity, based on last time I shot it with the original lot of powder a year ago.
Still slower than some here. Your barrel kind of mirrors mine. I was at 2935 with the same charge of varget, but didn’t have the consistency.

Has anyone tried VihtaVuori 100 series powders in the BRA? It looks like either N140 or N135 might work based on burn rates (N140 is almost identical to Varget and N135 is close to H4895).

Has anyone tried VihtaVuori 100 series powders in the BRA? It looks like either N140 or N135 might work based on burn rates (N140 is almost identical to Varget and N135 is close to H4895).

i would suggest shooters world precision over vihtavuori...little bit slower than varget but shoots outstanding in 2 guns here.

I have been thinking about switching from Dasher to BRA when my current batch of Dasher brass is worn out. My favorite sizing dies are Forester with custom honed neck diameter. They do not make a BRA die. If I switch over can I simply trim off .080" of material from my Dasher die?

Reactions: wil_pt
I have been thinking about switching from Dasher to BRA when my current batch of Dasher brass is worn out. My favorite sizing dies are Forester with custom honed neck diameter. They do not make a BRA die. If I switch over can I simply trim off .080" of material from my Dasher die?

I suppose that could work, though why not just get either a custom Forster die made, or get a BRA die from Whidden?

Forester won't do custom dies anymore and I have heard and seen multiple issues with Whidden dies.

Personally I think Whidden is great, that is who I've had made my custom dies for my BRA. Whidden seems to be the crowd favorite amongst the benchrest crowd, they are a lot more anal about reloading then most of us.

However, I've heard that taking off 0.080" from your Forster Dasher die should be fine. You may want to confirm, as I haven't done it myself. There's a lot of information about just this on accurate shooter.com.

Last edited:

That's what I run, just trim off 0.090 instead of 0.080 to ensure you can bump the shoulder properly.

Reactions: Eric_F
Forester won't do custom dies anymore and I have heard and seen multiple issues with Whidden dies.
Whidden has the tolerance of drunk monkeys on a lathe. But their customer service is excellent, I used their customer service 3 times and ruined 17 pieces of brass. But they did fix the problem 👍🏽. Then sold the die and went to a Wilson dasher die, trimmed .080” off the bottom and never looked back.

now Harrells makes a BRA die, all of $80, i don’t know about their customer service cause I’ve never had an issue with their Dies. They worked from the beginning.

Reactions: Nimothy
Whidden has the tolerance of drunk monkeys on a lathe. But their customer service is excellent, I used their customer service 3 times and ruined 17 pieces of brass. But they did fix the problem 👍🏽. Then sold the die and went to a Wilson dasher die, trimmed .080” off the bottom and never looked back.

now Harrells makes a BRA die, all of $80, i don’t know about their customer service cause I’ve never had an issue with their Dies. They worked from the beginning.
Against my better judgment I bought a straight br non bushing die from them I’m waiting on a barrel but I hope it works well.

Reactions: trophyhunter
Harrrels Precision makes a nice sizing die. You can cut off a Dasher die to size BRA.
The Bench crowd does not seem impressed with the 109 hybrid. They seem to really prefer the 108 Berger, or a custom bullet. Anyone have luck shooting 109 hybrid, Nosler 115, or Sierra 110?

Harrrels Precision makes a nice sizing die. You can cut off a Dasher die to size BRA.
The Bench crowd does not seem impressed with the 109 hybrid. They seem to really prefer the 108 Berger, or a custom bullet. Anyone have luck shooting 109 hybrid, Nosler 115, or Sierra 110?
I personally think bra is to small for anything in the 115 class. Sierra 110’s used to be the cat’s pajamas 2-3years ago the current crop not so much. When you call Sierra to tell them their Bullets suck they tell you it’s your rifle even after you give them lot numbers of what shot VERY well. (I’m done with the “bulletsmiths”) If I were you I’d stick with 105h. Those seem to run for everyone

Reactions: kthomas
I personally think bra is to small for anything in the 115 class. Sierra 110’s used to be the cat’s pajamas 2-3years ago the current crop not so much. When you call Sierra to tell them their Bullets suck they tell you it’s your rifle even after you give them lot numbers of what shot VERY well. (I’m done with the “bulletsmiths”) If I were you I’d stick with 105h. Those seem to run for everyone

I was thinking of going 110 A-Tips but might just stick with 105s. Save the A-tips for something like GT when I need to push things a bit faster.

• Haha
Reactions: trophyhunter
I was thinking of going 110 A-Tips but might just stick with 105s. Save the A-tips for something like GT when I need to push things a bit faster.
That’s probably a good idea, but 6gt (at least mine) isn’t smokin fast. It’s not a creed of a 6xc

That’s probably a good idea, but 6gt (at least mine) isn’t smokin fast. It’s not a creed of a 6xc

Mine isn't either, which is a big reason why I'm switching to 6BRA, that and brass quality. I'm getting 2825 with 36.5 of H4350 or 33.5 of Varget. Why run 3.5 more grains of powder when I could be getting about the same out of BRA using less powder.

Reactions: tob5 and kthomas
Mine isn't either, which is a big reason why I'm switching to 6BRA, that and brass quality. I'm getting 2825 with 36.5 of H4350 or 33.5 of Varget. Why run 3.5 more grains of powder when I could be getting about the same out of BRA using less powder.

Good choice.

For anyone that reloads, I think a 6BR type case makes more sense then the GT. Quality brass, lots of quality data and history of exceptional performance.

The 6GT has some good ideas behind it. But between the brass quality, common pressure issues, people having feeding issues when not using 6br/Dasher mag kits, and velocities that aren't really that much better then a 6BRA/BRX/Dasher, I don't really see the point myself.

I’m at 2950 with that same powder charge with a 108eld and alpha cases in a 24” proof comp barrel. It’s 50ish FPS faster than my bra. Mine also feeds wonderfully in a accurate mag (didn’t like mdt). I also like my bra but in all honesty if gt came out with alpha brass 3 years ago I’d never have a bra

Anyone running solids in your 6BRA?

Particularly interested in PVA Senecas -95gr looks like a nice option?

What would be everyone's recommendation for a 6BRA reamer? Strictly PRS use and a no-turn neck.
The standard no turn seems to be a Wheeler #1 with a 0.272 neck. If you call JGS they'll have that.

I have the number #1 .268 neck. Get the .272 neck out the gate, turning necks is for the birds. I sent my reamer back and had it ground with a new .272 neck.

Reactions: never_summer
I have the exact reamer @Eric_F said...it’s print #1323 .272 NK .104 freebore.

I had my smith add .075 freebore to my current barrel I’m running 109 hybrids.070 off the lands.

Wow, that's a lot of free bore! I like the jump though, too many people think you must be close to the lands for accuracy.

Reactions: 47guy
This thread has awesome info. Got the SAC dies in route, and barrel being spun up. I have a few pounds of varget, but no H4895. Anyone know where to get H4895?

Troll the Hodgden website....they have been getting H4350, H4895, and Varget in and out of stock. There are certainly alternatives, but H4895 seems to be easy and forgiving.

ZY

Reactions: nrspence
My ES/SDs were noticeably lower with H4895 than with Varget. Both shot great, but then again what doesn't shoot great in 6BRA. Velocity achieved with less powder and lower ES/SD makes H4895 the better choice for me. That and it saves the Varget for my x47s.

Reactions: 47guy
I only had about 3 lbs of 4895 and 8 lbs of varget when I started my 6bra. Used the 4895 for fireforming and it was very consistent but a slow load, and then tuned it with varget and never looked back. I get good enough results that now I just use 4895 for fireforming

Reactions: 47guy and nrspence
Lots of 6BRA's on H4895, but there's plenty being ran on Varget as well.

When I first was getting into 6BRA, I did a bunch of research on accurateshooter.com, which has a plethora of 6BRA shooters and knowledge. On there it seemed that H4895 was the primary powder of choice for the cartridge, but some barrels/rifles did prefer Varget. Just something to experiment with if you are inclined, or if one powder isn't producing the results you want.

I've only used H4895, but it's worked really well for me. It's been almost impossible to get SD's over 5, and the gun shoots more then well enough for me. I shot a 38 round string over the chrono a few months ago, which had an SD of ~4.5. Needless to say, I've been happy with H4895. But different barrels, rifles and lots of powder will play differently with each other.

but then again what doesn't shoot great in 6BRA.

The cartridge in a well-constructed rifle is sort of easy mode in everything... loading, fire forming, shooting, barrel life. It's only weakness is wind.

Landing on this cartridge out of the array available was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I hope my fire forming loads shoot as well as the ones posted here. I’ll be fire forming at the next two local matches.

Reactions: kthomas